ALL THINGS TRANSFORMERS!!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That Prime/Convoy statue looks good in pics but in the video the pose looks very awkward with the back knee at an odd inward angle and both arms splayed out awkwardly.

I think they're cool statues, great detail, but the poses suck on both of them. It would look better if they placed prime with just a generic hero pose. The bent knew looks ridiculous.

I'm not really an MP collector but Ultra Magnus and Star Saber seem a bit of a departure stylistically from all the previous MP stuff. Both look more like 1980s Gundamn stuff, particularly Star Saber, with big simple boxy forms lacking the smaller details and more varied paint finishes of the previous MP stuff. Not being based on a real life object I think is part of that.

These two things really don't look like they're even from the same universe to me. I get that a lot of G1, particularly the later stuff is like that. For me it's still weird. Maybe will be less so when there's more of it. It kinda reminds me of the MOTUC line with it's mix of different eras and mediums it's working from some of the figures just look like they're from a completely different toy line.

fhgjhkl.jpg

The MP-10 photo is from tomac66 on tfw2005.

I'm not really an MP collector but Ultra Magnus and Star Saber seem a bit of a departure stylistically from all the previous MP stuff. Both look more like 1980s Gundamn stuff, particularly Star Saber, with big simple boxy forms lacking the smaller details and more varied paint finishes of the previous MP stuff. Not being based on a real life object I think is part of that.

These two things really don't look like they're even from the same universe to me. I get that a lot of G1, particularly the later stuff is like that. For me it's still weird. Maybe will be less so when there's more of it. It kinda reminds me of the MOTUC line with it's mix of different eras and mediums it's working from some of the figures just look like they're from a completely different toy line.
Couldn't agree more. To my eyes, the longer the "Masterpiece" series goes on, the more they appear to be phoning it in. I was surprised to learn the first colored photos of Ultra Magnus were essentially the finished product, because my initial reaction was, "well that's coming along nicely; I look forward to seeing it when it's finished".

Very much agree on Ultra Magnus. Just a new version of an old toy and not the truly updated, brilliant version that echoes the old toy.

Anyone else getting the Fewture UM-01? It should be out pretty soon, sometime this month.

I dont blame them, its a cesspool. :lol

Here ya go.

778681_367955883302155_1248599241_o.jpg

Well that is amazing, though the helmet pieces look like eyebrows which is weird. I know that part of the helmet is supposed to give the illusion of eyebrows, but these look like actual eyebrows. But holy hell those are huge and cool.

Those optimus and megatron statues are incredible.

I think it would be better if it did echo the old toy. Instead they tried to follow the cartoon look which imo is a bad idea as there's not a lot of detail there to begin with. As much as I find Citizen Stack kinda blehg it follows the toy more and consequently I think it looks a lot better and fits in with the established MP aesthetic better.

…and perhaps the best bit Citizen Stack doesn't look like a brick from the back. I have heard bad things about the quality on KFC's stuff but that still doesn't change that I think it looks better than MP Magnus.

27429728d1396755172-keiths-fantasy-club-eavi-metal-citizen-stack-mp-ultra-magnus-1794514_240627739457938_1521650271_n.jpg

fhgjhkl.jpg

The MP-10 photo is from tomac66 on tfw2005.

To anyone not familiar with the Japanese series, I can understand how Optimus Prime and Star Saber may seem so different. You kinda have to watch each series to get a feel for the transition but yeah, I can see why it would be "weird" for some people.

It's not because of their designs. The earth-mode based bot of Prime vs the space/cybertronian design of Star Saber, I get that. It's that one is an updated version of the toy carrying over a lot of the detailing the toy either had or implied while the other is based very closely on a cartoon design. So one is fairly detailed with a lot of small mechanical details and the other is all broad strokes and big planes of flat color. If MP Prime/Convoy looked like this, they would work much better together.

G1-A-Prime-problem.jpg

But he doesn't. I have the same issue with Ultra Magnus. He's also based pretty directly on the 'toon design, kibble aside.

Bring back Hasui!!!

I still like these and will happily buy both, but I don't really find myself disagreeing with anyone here (except regarding UM's size, which I like).

On a kinda related note, I dug my MP-01 Prime out of a box yesterday and I have to say, size aside (I do think he's too damn big) there's a lot I like more about him compared to MP-10. In comparison, MP-10's head seems a little small, he has both too much detail on his legs and not enough detail on his arms (I really like the pistons on MP-01), his feet seem a bit too flat and pointed, and I just generally like the proportions more on MP-01.

That said, MP-10 still looks fantastic and any issues with him compared to MP-01 are very very minor. If I was getting back into the MP collecting I would certainly pick him up since I also like his scale better.

In a completely opposite reaction, I also unpacked my Takara MP-06 Skywarp. His colors are great. The black plastic is an actual black as opposed to a lot of cheaper black plastic which is more of a dark gray. The purple on him is rich and vibrant and I really like his face sculpt. That's about all the good I can say about him. Well I can also say his plane mode is fantastic. His 'bot mode on the other hand is kinda terrible. He has more random **** hanging off him than any Transformer I have ever owned. He doesn't even feel properly transformed once in 'bot mode since nothing really clips in place. It just all sort of hangs together. It's a bit of a mess. I hear they corrected that with the later Seekers.

Bring back Hasui!!!

I still like these and will happily buy both, but I don't really find myself disagreeing with anyone here (except regarding UM's size, which I like).

Yeah that's where I stand exactly.

I find Takaras' lack of consistency in design bewildering though.

Not being too familiar with Star Saber's design; is he that show's version of Prime or Rodiumus??

Yeah that's where I stand exactly.

I find Takaras' lack of consistency in design bewildering though.

Not being too familiar with Star Saber's design; is he that show's version of Prime or Rodiumus??

He's about the third leader after Rodimus leaves earth. Optimus > Rodimus > Fort Max > Ginrai > Star Saber > Dai Atlas in the Japanese-G1 continuity

Back