ALL THINGS TRANSFORMERS!!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They were the primary Transformers I collected at the time, and I think they were precursors to the current batch of MPs for sure. For me, I prefer cartoon accuracy first, which is why the MP line is for me. But I get where you are coming from, and in an ideal world, I think the Alt designs would have been what the Bay TF movies would have given us. Modern vehicles, complex transformations, but ultimately basic, and aesthetically pleasing looking robots. Not the jumbles of parts that we got instead.

When the first live action film was announced, I actually thought they had the perfect template to design the TFs. Of course we didn't get any of that. While I don't hate the look of bayformers, I still feel there's too many exposed parts.

When BT's originally came out I wasn't even collecting. I didn't start collecting Transformers again until 2007.

That being said I was never impressed with BT/Alternators, they were obviously improved from G1 in terms of their engineering but I didn't like how fiddly most of the transformations were, the robot modes were largely a mess of kibble and virtually all the alt modes had changed from G1 so there was no sense of nostalgia....I couldn't care less about Bluestreak as a Subaru Impreza or Wheeljack as a Ford Mustang.

Classics weren't perfect, but were a decent alternative for a while as whilst they shared some of the same issues, the robot modes were at least fun to mess with and the transformations weren't a hassle.

But once Takara had a rethink with the Masterpiece line and started increasing the range of characters then all the other official lines ceased to be of any relevance to me and even the majority of 3rd party figures weren't as appealing.

The only exceptions are,

Fans Toys
Quakewave reset the bar for build quality on high end Transformers and did it so well that even Takara products feel slightly lesser in quality.

They're also making at least 3 of the other Dinobots in Masterpiece scale and have the aesthetic down almost perfectly.

Cubex
Huff's design is up there with MP Laserbeak as one of the best transforming robot toys ever made. It's only let down by the paint issues that seem to have affected many of the production run.

MakeToys
I'm not a fan of most of their previous work but their IDW Swerve is a mini Masterpiece in it's own right.

You seem to be under the mistaken impression that I'm defending Takara as if they're perfect.

I'm not. They've had their share of issues but compared to someone like KFC it's no contest as to who are more reliable.

Unless you have in hand experience with the differences in build quality between the lesser 3rd party companies ( which KFC are one of ) and those from Takara and Fans Toys then you can't really comment on the subject with any degree of accuracy.

KFC's Perceptor and variants are plagued with breaking tabs and sloppy paint apps and I've read a few similar things about their cassettes as well.

If they can't take QC seriously on smaller, less complex items like that, then it's reasonable to think that Ultra Magnus, no matter how nice the pics look could well turn out to be a POS.

Not hyperbole, but you're the first person I've come across that wasn't impressed with the Bt line. Every bot came out perfect (save for a few such as grimlock...he's a Dino dammit, not a mustang) and I loved it not only for the beautiful designs, but also for the story TT came up with as a continuation of the G1 universe. Every announcement was exciting...then we were bombarded with redecos and eventually the line just lost steam.

As for the QC issue, well, again ill have to take your word for it again. I don't have any of the 3rd party figures so I can't comment of the build quality. If kfcs UM turns out to be a POS it'll be a damn shame. But as of now I can only comment on the aesthetics. I truly think he looks pretty darn good. A tad bit taller than I'd like but overall sharp looking.

Your point with fears of TT rushing out a UM plagued with QC issues is flawed (IMO of course, and not trying to start an argument with you, just debating). They've had years to design him, and if I remember correctly they even made a few attempts. So we can't really say UM will be rushed out. I honestly think TT simply put him on the back burner and focused on other things.

I know that in the end the choice isnt up to me and he will come out when he comes out. I'm just frustrated with TT as a company because of their release philosophy.

Your point with fears of TT rushing out a UM plagued with QC issues is flawed (IMO of course, and not trying to start an argument with you, just debating). They've had years to design him, and if I remember correctly they even made a few attempts. So we can't really say UM will be rushed out. I honestly think TT simply put him on the back burner and focused on other things.

I know that in the end the choice isnt up to me and he will come out when he comes out. I'm just frustrated with TT as a company because of their release philosophy.

When I was referring to Takara rushing things out and potentially letting their QC slip I wasn't referring to he design process, I was referring to the production side of things.

If Takara put their factories under pressure to speed things up they could start taking shortcuts which would result in issues such as those that occurred with MP09 becoming the rule, rather than the exception.

Anyway, moving on,

Giga Power have showed Snarl in dinosaur mode,

Nice pinhead :lol

MP08 and Scoria both share elements of the original toys, but there's a clear evolution in the designs as the proportions have been tweaked to take into account the increased size.

The Giga Power effort looks like one of those oversized Asian KO's with a bit more detail added.

All FT need to do now is announce their Snarl as FT-05 and get it out before Giga Power and it's game over.

Looks good to me. Nice reimagining of the original. The head seems right if you look at pics of a real steg.
Just gutted it doesn't fit in size wise with grimlock and Scoria.

The head seems right if you look at pics of a real steg.

That may well be the case, but this isn't Classics, so reimagining shouldn't be an option.

FT have changed the proportions slightly but they aren't basing Scoria's alt mode on modern knowledge of the actual triceratops because that wouldn't fit in with MP08 and the general Masterpiece aesthetic.

When I was referring to Takara rushing things out and potentially letting their QC slip I wasn't referring to he design process, I was referring to the production side of things.

If Takara put their factories under pressure to speed things up they could start taking shortcuts which would result in issues such as those that occurred with MP09 becoming the rule, rather than the exception.

Anyway, moving on,

Giga Power have showed Snarl in dinosaur mode,

Nice pinhead :lol

MP08 and Scoria both share elements of the original toys, but there's a clear evolution in the designs as the proportions have been tweaked to take into account the increased size.

The Giga Power effort looks like one of those oversized Asian KO's with a bit more detail added.

All FT need to do now is announce their Snarl as FT-05 and get it out before Giga Power and it's game over.

Looks like the head has been taken from a Zoids figure to be honest ;)
That being said I like it more than the G1 toy.

Looking at them side by side the original G1 figure head looks WAY too big.
I never really noticed it when I was younger but looking at it now that's too long IMO

Giga Power are seriously making me take notice with this Snarl, the Scale looks perfect in the pics next to the MP's & the Dino mode is fairly spot on to me as well.
It's just the QC, final paint apps & price I think that will sway me.

I'm still on the shelf about Scoria I really want him because he looks so good but I still can't pull the trigger, just something niggling in the back of my mind that's making me hold off.

Neil

What an oversized mess.

ymy3umy9.jpg

I'll take TT's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like the head has been taken from a Zoids figure to be honest ;)
That being said I like it more than the G1 toy.

Looking at them side by side the original G1 figure head looks WAY too big.
I never really noticed it when I was younger but looking at it now that's too long IMO

Giga Power are seriously making me take notice with this Snarl, the Scale looks perfect in the pics next to the MP's & the Dino mode is fairly spot on to me as well.
It's just the QC, final paint apps & price I think that will sway me.

I'm still on the shelf about Scoria I really want him because he looks so good but I still can't pull the trigger, just something niggling in the back of my mind that's making me hold off.

Neil

Agreed I'm liking this giga power figure. Let's see what paint aps and price point is like.
I've invested in MP grimlock so Scoria is an automatic buy. I see what you mean though, slightly underwhelming - slightly!

The latest on FT's Snarl is that it will have a longer tail than the Giga Power effort which would seem to confirm that it'll have similar proportions to the animation model eg,

Surely Can't be too long as the tail forms those 'wings' in robot mode.
Isn't it swoop next? Not much third party sludge love then!

Surely Can't be too long as the tail forms those 'wings' in robot mode.
Isn't it swoop next? Not much third party sludge love then!

I don't expect it to be massively different in length.

FT showed silhouettes of Swoop and Skyfire when they revealed Scoria, but have since said,

1.Skyfire is being pushed back so they can focus on Dinobots.

2.Snarl might happen "sooner than people think".

3.Their designer has apparently quit one of his jobs so he has more time to work on projects.

4.Sludge is happening but is proving trickier to design than the others, that's why Swoop and Snarl are coming first.

5.Grimlock will be made if Takara don't make one and there's enough demand for a FT one.

FT showed silhouettes of Swoop and Skyfire when they revealed Scoria, but have since said,

3.Their designer has apparently quit one of his jobs so he has more time to work on projects.

4.Sludge is happening but is proving trickier to design than the others, that's why Swoop and Snarl are coming first.

5.Grimlock will be made if Takara don't make one and there's enough demand for a FT one.

Happy day :)
Although I won't complain if they don't make a Grimlock. I know size is an issue however...

I would have thought the issue with sludge is that Bronto neck, that really can't be easy to design & fit in at MP scale, it was ungainly enough on the G1 toy without upping the size of it.

Still can't wait to see what's next.

I'm itching for a full on Swoop reveal.

Neil

I would have thought the issue with sludge is that Bronto neck, that really can't be easy to design & fit in at MP scale, it was ungainly enough on the G1 toy without upping the size of it.

Still can't wait to see what's next.

I'm itching for a full on Swoop reveal.

Neil

The problem with Sludge for me is not so much the neck because the transformation doesn't seem a million miles from Grimlock's, but the size. Brontosaurus' were much larger than the others. He always seemed to be the odd one out!

Wanderer,
Sludge is one of my favorite Dinobots so I'm really looking forward to his eventual reveal too!

soundwave,
Yep, the neck is a potential issue, maybe FT can make it telescope inwards a bit?

There's also the dino legs and tail that need to be hidden in robot mode.

On the G1 toy that kibble hangs off the sides of the legs but that's not accurate to the animation model, nor would it be consistent with what they've done with Scoria.

The dino legs can potentially be engineered like Scoria's so they end up on the inside of the robot mode legs but that would still leave the two tail halves to hide.

Need help from the TF gurus on here. I need to get a non see through trailer for my gold trimmed MP10 horse reissue or whatever its called. Anything out there available?
I saw some on Ebay, but I think they are supposed to go with MP-01, or are the trailers fairly similar? Any info will help, thanks!

Need help from the TF gurus on here. I need to get a non see through trailer for my gold trimmed MP10 horse reissue or whatever its called. Anything out there available?
I saw some on Ebay, but I think they are supposed to go with MP-01, or are the trailers fairly similar? Any info will help, thanks!

Based on what you said I'm thinking you saw the Impossible Toys trailer for MP01 on ebay which would be too big for MP10.

The only MP10 sized trailer I can think of outside of the official ones would be the recent KO of MP10.

Back