Abbott and Costello Meet . . .

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Abbott and Costello meet . . .

Ok, some updates everyone...

Regarding the Laurel and Hardy Neil Sims sculpts, I received a reply that they are a little smaller than GI Joe heads, so they will not work for 1/6 scale.

In the meantime, I tracked down the sculptor of these great heads and I am trying to find out whether he is offering them for sale (as well as to confirm that they are 1/6 scale)..more to come on this:

f45e8a40.png

In the meantime, I have been trying to track down clothes that will fit our buddy, Lou. I wasn't happy with the look of him in the army uniform, and can't find anything big without having to modify. My sewing expertise being zero (in contrast to the great work Jim is doing!) I decided to give the Monkey Depot white shirt and work shirt a try...the "Buck Privates" may turn into Chick and Wilbur after all...

6793697d.jpg

09d3f68d.jpg

13df4545.jpg

05b700b6.jpg

02d53a7a.jpg

The pants is a blue "fat" pants (found on ebay) that fit him nicely..

Ok, some updates everyone...

Regarding the Laurel and Hardy Neil Sims sculpts, I received a reply that they are a little smaller than GI Joe heads, so they will not work for 1/6 scale.

In the meantime, I tracked down the sculptor of these great heads and I am trying to find out whether he is offering them for sale (as well as to confirm that they are 1/6 scale)..more to come on this:

f45e8a40.png

In the meantime, I have been trying to track down clothes that will fit our buddy, Lou. I wasn't happy with the look of him in the army uniform, and can't find anything big without having to modify. My sewing expertise being zero (in contrast to the great work Jim is doing!) I decided to give the Monkey Depot white shirt and work shirt a try...the "Buck Privates" may turn into Chick and Wilbur after all...

6793697d.jpg

09d3f68d.jpg

13df4545.jpg

05b700b6.jpg

02d53a7a.jpg

The pants is a blue "fat" pants (found on ebay) that fit him nicely..

Hey Jerry!

It's too bad about the Neil Sims sculpts, they had quite a variety of expressions to choose from. I, however, am quite excited about the possibility of the new sculpts of Mr. Hardy and Mister Laurel you discovered and tracked down. Great work in finding them how did you do it? Maybe you should start a thread entitled Mr. Laurel and Mr. Hardy!

I really love Oliver's expression the sculpt is perfect... Not so much with Laurel. The hair is the main problem. It would have to be modified quite a bit in order to accommodate his derby. Also his expression, while iconic, I would prefer his dumb clueless look rather than his dumb happy look.

As to your Bud and Lou... Sorry to hear that you are giving up on the "Buck Privates" they were looking good. I see that you got Lou's height worked out. I guess you went to work hacking at his legs.

Lou's Wilbur outfit is coming along quite well, the pants you got are perfect, just the right color as far as I'm concerned. That it is the color I will be shooting for when I buy the material. It's funny we both wanted blue for his pants when all we know as far as color goes are B&W images.

The jacket while not perfect is workable. I suggest you remove the bottom two pockets and try to use that material to fashion another pocket for his upper pocket. The apron, which is really easy to make even if you don't know how to sew, will cover up any damage caused by removing the lower pockets. You will also have to remove the buttons of the jacket the ones they wore in the film were zippered jackets, I'm not suggesting installing a zipper just the removal of the buttons.

Overall just great work! Keep us informed about Stan and Ollie and keep posting shots of your progress on A&C.

Last edited:

Spacecrawler, Sean, I'm still curious to see your sculpts of Stan and Oliver.

Hey Jim!

Thanks for your insight and comments on Lou's jacket...I'm still not convinced that I will abandon the boys as "Buck Privates" as I have visions of them on the floor playing craps and Lou saying "little Joe"!

My dilemma is fat suit fit. I'm entertaining the idea of dying Lou's blue pants dark brown (or maybe buying another pair for a future Ollie?), but then I'm still stuck without a shirt that fits. The white one fits great but it's not army regulation...

That's why this project is so enjoyable because it's making me think, and search, and think and search...

Sean, I'm interested in seeing what you are using for Stan and Ollie sculpts as well.

I am looking for someone that might undertake the Stan and Ollie sculpts. If I find someone, I will definitely start a Mr. Laurel and Mr. Hardy thread!

Continued thanks for this thread, Jim! I love seeing your progress, and it will be interesting to see how everyone comes out in the end!

Jerry, If you can get the L&H sculpts made, I think I may have found the perfect clothes for Stan...

The Sideshow figure of Dr. Henry Jones Senior has the perfect outfit for Stan right down to the polka dotted bow tie. You would have to modify his shirt collar though.

Here is a link to the film "Be Big" which is my favorite of their films. You can see how much his outfit matches Sean Connery's in "The Last Crusade"

https://www.trilulilu.ro/OMBLADON91/a37d7e0220bdc8

Double Whoopie!!! The Sons of the Desert (Laurel and Hardy) project has begun....!!

Sorry to take up space on Bud and Lou's thread, but it will not last long...will begin an official Laurel and Hardy thread shortly...

And the sculptor will be....Spensor! He produced those great Beatle sculpts (among countless other great ones).

I submitted the following pics to him, asking his to consider a younger Stan and Ollie than the previous sculpts I found, and ones where Stan and Ollie can wear hats, but when taken off, Stan's hair will stick up a bit. I also asked for them to be smiling...

99eec535.png

6b4945a4.png

efc3954c.png

With Stan's hair sticking up a bit, like this:

10aa6a15.png

Merry Christmas!!

Well, Jerry, here's another fine mess you've gotten me into! I thought Bud and Lou would be my first and last customs... But Noooooo.

Anyway, there is no need to apologize for taking up room here, especially with such fantastic news! I will be posting on your L&H thread once you start it.

Spenser is a great choice for these two, he did an astounding job on the Ghostbusters so we know he can handle comedic characters. You picked out some great reference pictures, those are their iconic looks. Will he be sculpting the derbies as well? If so make sure he knows that they are two distinct styles. Your idea of the hat, when in place, hiding the tufts of hair on Stan's head was a brilliant way of solving that problem.

I'm surely in for a set once they have been made, no question about it! Thanks so much for getting this ball rolling

I don't think clothing will be as much a problem with these two Ollie's clothes never fit him they were always many sizes too small for him.

What do you think of this for Stan's suit? Even the oversized shoes look about right!

review_sshenry_10.jpg

This is just great news and quite the Christmas gift!

All my best to you and yours this holiday season. Merry Christmas, Jerry!

Last edited:

Hey Jim!

I knew you couldn't resist! The suit for Stan is right on the mark. Excellent choice. I think the white shirt that I put on Lou in the pictures above may work for both Stan and Ollie, because they are roomy, and the collar (when raised) doesn't have much of a tip. It might work perfectly to bend (iron or stitch) over. Too much detail at this point, but fun to start speculating about.

There is a place the does custom sized hats and derbies for 1/6 figures...I ran across it a while back and will post a link soon. He also does customs so maybe a Sons of the Desert hat would be a nice to have.

I will let you know when I hear from Spencer for the go-ahead to start the thread.

Now, let's get back to our stars on this thread, Bud and Lou...

PS I cracked up when I read your "but NOooo" above! Glad to be of service :clap

I was afraid you were going to refer to this site...

I really don't like the look of these felt hats. I think that felt hats never look right. I really don't think they will hold their shape over time and the scale seems wrong. On top of that, I don't think they will be able to pull off the two distinct style of the derbies.

You would be better off asking Spencer to sculpt them as separate items.

I wont be using these hats and if Spencer doesn't sculpt them I'll have to make them myself. I think I did a decent job on Bud and Lou's hats.

Spenser mentioned that he believed he could pull off the request to get Stan's hair right with and without the derby so let's see. I will not start an official thread until I get the ok from him...

Regarding your hat points, I agree with some...I have ordered from them before (refer to my Bogie avatar). The fedora I ordered was coated with something that retains the shape, so that is not a problem at all. He is also very precise with measurements and hat sizes. I think that if precise specifics are provided (Stan's hat has a longer, thinner crown, flat, short rim, Ollie's has a curled rim, etc.), he could do it. Spenser may make them anyway though, in trying to lock down the hair issue..

I agree though, that you have a knack for making great hats! That may be the best solution for you..

I came across a fascinating, detailed article on the number, and type of derbies that they actually used and gave away throughout the years. They never used the same ones from picture to picture but did stick to the same types for consistency. Will save that for the thread...

The hat for your Bogie works well for him, I'd like to see more shots of him. I still don't see how that guy will be able to pull of the derbies, but we'll see. I can tell by your description of the hats that you really know how they should look, most people just think they are identical derbies.

I've read the article you mentioned about two months ago. I found it really interesting, especially the fact that Stan would give the hats away to visitors on the set.

Got the film on DVD for Xmas;watched the bonus features today.As always, they were almost as good as the actual film(love the out-takes)...PS

Great gift for Christmas Wax! Congratulations!

It is surely the grandfather of all Comedic/Horror films. The "Ghostbusters" and "Sean of the Dead" owe a great debt to this film.

Did you know that John Landis intentionally put a clip of "A&C Meet Frankenstien" in "An American Werewolf in London" as a tribute to the film?

I think it was one of his favorites growing up.

Double Whoopie...!

The Stan and Ollie head sculpt project is on and making progress...

Check out the link below:

https://www.laurelandhardyforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=17043&p=124589#p124589

P.S. I have also located a source that has begun to work on pants that will fit on fat suits (so that will help for those of you that are working on our buddy Lou). Still about a month away from receiving final product, but should be nice!

Wow! Great news Jerry.

I was wondering how you were doing with this project.

Sorry I could not get to your link. Could you explain exactly what is happening with Stan and Ollie?

When will you start your Mr. Laurel and Mr Hardy thread?

I haven't worked much on Bud and Lou recently. With the holidays and me starting a new job on Monday I kind of put them on the back burner for a bit. I still need to get started on their pants.

Great to hear about the L&H project being a go. I will be in for the pair, you can count on it!

Jim

Hey Jungle,

Great to hear about your new job...hope all goes well..!

Spenser is doing an awesome job, but I don't know when the thread will start yet. I'm waiting to hear from him. He's still working on Stan's hair, getting it right so his derby will fit nicely.

Below you will find the preliminary pics I received him, that I posted on the Laurel and Hardy forum. Maybe you couldn't access because you have to sign up? Anyway, here they are:

6a6fe326.png

220c53f3.png

I've slowly been making progress on Bud and Lou, using the useful info and stuff you've posted in the past. I plan to do the same for Stan and Ollie...

Hey Jungle,

Spenser is doing an awesome job, but I don't know when the thread will start yet. I'm waiting to hear from him. He's still working on Stan's hair, getting it right so his derby will fit nicely.

Below you will find the preliminary pics I received him, that I posted on the Laurel and Hardy forum. Maybe you couldn't access because you have to sign up? Anyway, here they are:

6a6fe326.png

220c53f3.png

I've slowly been making progress on Bud and Lou, using the useful info and stuff you've posted in the past. I plan to do the same for Stan and Ollie...

Now Those Are Good!!!

Hey Jungle,

6a6fe326.png

220c53f3.png

Jerry, after studying these photos, I only have one concern. The sculpts of the heads are a great start and are really capturing the personalities of the boys. Oliver's hat, however seems a bit small. The hat also needs to sit a bit lower on the head.

The other thing I'm having a problem with is Stan's hair. It shouldn't be standing straight up but rather up and feathered back away from the face a tiny bit.

I hope these suggestions help. I can't wait to see the final products!

Jim

Back