What TV series would make a great movie franchise?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
There have been so many incredible tv series throughout years. Some like Star Trek successfully were made into movie franchises. Which series would you like to see have similar success?

I think LOST would make an incredible trilogy. Gives them a chance to explain the island more, ignore the whole after death thing, tweak the story only slightly and bobs your uncle.

I don't think any TV show ends up making a good movie. It was TV series for a reason. If it would make a good movie, then it was a horrible TV show. TV shows are designed to tell much larger stories than a movie or 3 would allow them too. They are much richer than any movie story because of the amount of time they can devote to a plot. If you are able to remake a TV series into a decent trilogy, then there was a lot of fluff in that series and it really didn't need to be a TV show to begin with.

The first season of Lost was amazing. After that, it was a lot of fluff. Personally, I'm a fan of what American Horror Story is doing. They have a story that would be too long for a movie, but too little for a full length, multi-season TV series. 1 Season, 1 story. There are many TV shows I felt would have been better as mini-series like these. I'd like to see more shows like this. If they want to remake TV series then I think this is the route to go.

Purely for budgetary reasons, some shows could have looked better with movie money. There is nothing worse than a great TV show ruined by poor CGI work. I think with the growing popularity of TV shows lately, we could start to see some bigger budgets for FX and other things that might have only been available to big budget movies previously.

A movie based on Californication would work really well. No one would dream to compress an entire TV series into a movie, so it would be a single story only. Any procedural show or semi-procedural can spawn a good movie script - but there should be a reason to make a movie as opposed to simply creating an episode or group of episodes with a story arc.

Last edited:
Different stories using the same characters. I kind of thought that was pretty obvious. Maybe you were being rhetorical. ;)

Babylon 5 is my favorite show and I'd love to see some movies set in that universe. Farscape is supposed to be getting a movie (which I will believe it when I see it) so there's always hope.

Although I enjoyed both series, I always thought BSG would make nice big screen flicks.

I was going to say "Fat Albert," but realizing nearly every TV show has become a movie, I googled it, and sure enough. . .

I don't think any TV show ends up making a good movie. It was TV series for a reason. If it would make a good movie, then it was a horrible TV show.
There have been some great movies based off of TV shows. The Fugitive, Naked Gun, and some of the Mission: Impossibles come to mind. Even the Great Muppet Caper if that counts. And of course, Mask of the Phantasm. But it depends on whose writing it. Same way some movies on much longer books or comics aren't nearly as good as the originals. Most of them do suck, though, particularly the ones that are cheap cash-grabs (i.e., almost all of them).

Quantum Leap I think would also make a great movie franchise. It's right up there with Star Trek in terms of each movie being one epic adventure. Plus the first movie could explore Sam's origin a bit more and how he created Ziggy.

There have been so many incredible tv series throughout years. Some like Star Trek successfully were made into movie franchises. Which series would you like to see have similar success?

I think LOST would make an incredible trilogy. Gives them a chance to explain the island more, ignore the whole after death thing, tweak the story only slightly and bobs your uncle.

I wish you did a thread asking the opposite.

What movie franchise would be a great tv series (Besides of the ones that already exist)

Tv Shows becoming movies for me seems kind of pointless. You only have 1 hour and a half to tell a story that took 5-10 hours to tell.

If they made a movie of Dexter or True Blood, What would they make it about? they already said everything that needed to be said. Movies are extremely constricting

Imagine the Walking Dead as a movie, what kind of story could they tell in 2 hours?

Like I said the question I wish there was a thread for was what movie would become a great tv show. I always felt that the Harry Potter movies (Or books) would make for an amazing tv series, there is too much in the books that the movies left out.

I wish books were adapted for TV instead of movies, there is much more room to explore. (like I said, just look at Dexter and the Walking Dead)

Come on… It can go any way and work. Not every TV show is serialized, so they don't all take more than 20 or 40 minutes to tell any story in their normal runs. A 2 hour movie can tell a much richer story in those cases.

There are plenty of movie to TV transitions with a number of new ones this year alone - three that I've watched: Fargo, From Dusk Till Dawn - both of which I don't think anyone would have suggested. Taxi Brooklyn more recently.

And plenty of literary works go directly to TV. Within the past few months we have The Last Ship, The Strain, The Leftovers.

Back