What do people think of sixth scale collectors and action figure collectors?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello Fellow Freaks!!

I am not new to this hobby at all. I have been collecting sixth scale for ever. Here are some questions I want to throw at you folks.

What do friends and family think of you collecting sixth scale figures? what are there reactions when they found out you collect sixth scale figures?

My family never said anything other than asking me to show them my stuff, but I don't like to do that... I don't like other people touching my figures!

Cute-Kristen-Bell-Finger-Wag-Of-Shame.gif

:lol

And many of my friends didn't even know this stuff existed, for example most of them never heard of HT, and some of them started collectiong because of me

How do you tell a potential girl friend or boyfriend that you are in this hobby. Is it a dealbreaker? What do your partners think of your collection?

I just tell em, last person I dated liked my collection a lot, I don't think collecting stuff should be a problem in any relationship... also its not something to be ashamed of

758643.gif

Do you think you will be collecting for years to come?

I think I'll never stop... even if I have kids :lol I dunno, who knows...

Has this hobby grown over years? Is it going to become more mainstream?

I think brands like HT are bringing more awareness with their mainstream figures Iron Man, Batman etc. But I don't think it will become more mainstream, not in the near future at least. Plus this stuff is expensive

What do friends and family think of you collecting sixth scale figures? what are there reactions when they found out you collect sixth scale figures?

My family and friends know I collect and are good with it. They often look forward to seeing new additions to my collection. :D

How do you tell a potential girl friend or boyfriend that you are in this hobby. Is it a dealbreaker? What do your partners think of your collection?

I'm always upfront with this hobby and my collection. So far I haven't had any problems with women. Many times the women I meet and date have some type of collection themselves, so they understand and like that we have something in common (collecting).

Do you think you will be collecting for years to come?

I would like to say yes but I believe I'll eventually be priced out of this hobby. :(

Has this hobby grown over years? Is it going to become more mainstream?

This hobby has definitely grown since I've started. Some aspects of this hobby have become mainstream, IMO. The higher end products not so much.

I just want to know what your feelings are about this hobby. I would like to see what your insight is.

This hobby is fun but expensive. :panic: :lol

:welcome1: to the :FREAK: show! :wave

My family and friends are cool with it. Since I'm single I don't worry about the other but the next girl will either accept it or go. Don't really give a ****.

What do friends and family think of you collecting sixth scale figures? what are there reactions when they found out you collect sixth scale figures?-

My Family and Friends support my hobby. At the beginning my parents didn't like it but they started to enjoy it from a different aspect. My Friends dig it and wish they had a hobby like mine. They all quite like it and since it makes me happy they totally back me up. I've been collecting for years. Different things through the years and they always supported me because they see I'm happy doing it. Yes I get the talk about money but I'm smart enough to save some or make it back if I spend it. This is the time of my life to collect the most. As the time comes and I get married I will have to cut back huge time. I will still be doing it but family comes first.

How do you tell a potential girl friend or boyfriend that you are in this hobby. Is it a dealbreaker? What do your partners think of your collection?-

Well so far most of the Women I've dated or even Women I have been friends with have accepted and liked my hobby wishing they had a hobby like mine. At the moment I'm single but I hope the next girl I find she will accept it too. People are people and I don't care if they like it or not. The Ween said the best lines in this thread that are true. Go by that.

Do you think you will be collecting for years to come?-

Hell yes! I will be collecting until the day I die.

Has this hobby grown over years? Is it going to become more mainstream?-

The hobby has certainly grown over the years for sure. It will become even bigger than right now.

I wouldn't pass-up a good thing with a good girl for a bunch of toys. Its a hobby, not life. It can be moved aside for more important things.

That being said, I also wouldn't be taking orders from anybody. If we decided together we're better off without it -- we need the cash, we need the space, whatever -- I'm fine with letting it go. They're cool toys ... but there are things worth giving them up for.

SnakeDoc

My family thinks I'm a loser that collects dolls. Any girl that I've been with that finds out that I collect dolls thinks I'm a loser and leaves me soon after . . . not before breaking a few and calling me immature for collecting dolls.

One time, I was told by a co-worker that I was a loser because I collected dolls and was then punched in the back of the head repeatedly. My parents said that they failed me since I am still stuck in what they seem to think is a regressive, adolescent state. I'm not even allowed to visit for the holidays because they're so ashamed. My shrink said that I'm an obsessive compulsive, hoarder and I quote, "a dolly collecting loser". My neighbors said I was a loser when they found out that I refinanced my house to support my doll collecting. My insurance advisors snickered when I sought out insurance for possible damages to my "dolls".

Buying little plastic men and women is abnormal and is shunned in this society. It's deviant behavior that shouldn't be condoned. If you are experiencing doll collecting, especially of the 1/6 variety, seek help for this disease while you still can.

You too??? :1-1:

Most people make fun of it when they know I'm into collecting 1/6 ' dollies ' as they call them.

Some people seem interested and are impressed with the quality and details on the figures, but still think it a strange thing to be doing.

My family have told me to stop collecting, I've got too many etc.

I have no intention of stopping collecting, but I have drastically cut down on the amount of figures I buy, mainly down to pressure from my family.

All in all, this hobby has taken a lot out of me, has had a negative effect on my relationships with friends and family and has seriously effected my bank balance. :lecture

The only reason why anyone should have a problem with someone collecting is if it's putting them in financial trouble, if you could afford it, who cares. Some people collect guns, cars, motorcycles, posters, sports memorabilia, and figure collecting is no different. I've personally never met anyone that made a big deal out of my figure collecting, family, friends, or girlfriends.

I don't think I've ever met someone who didn't has something condescending to say about it.
My family members try to act like they don't think its really weird, but they do.
Its usually just casual disrespect coming from everyone.
Most people have no tolerance for what they find unusual.

My brother calls them knicky-knacks. Anything that sits around he calls that. I don't care.

I'd like to have the money that he has in trains and also all the money he and his wife has put in slot machines.

My wife is supportive, we both have mad money funds to buy whatever and I choose dollies. In addition, I keep my collection smallish so it can be kept clean and neat almost museum quality. So visually it isn't an eyesore.

The kids mostly ignore it, they'll check out the new pieces if they recognize the character. Family and friends have no idea I collect these unless they too are collectors. I keep my collection upstairs in the loft with the bedrooms and no one outside of immediate family has a reason to venture upstairs. Typical conversations with family and friends don't venture into my collecting habits sooooooo it is a secret. I did have cable installer one time comment on them as he was a collector of smaller action figures so I allowed him to live after witnessing the secret stash...

Well, people used to give me **** for collecting. Ive had girls either laugh at me for it or have been truly facinated with it. The girl Im with now loves it, and she lives with me.
But the big change was when customizing became my full time job and people saw how much money I was making. I cooled down with the Hot Toys collecting, now. I just collect smaller stuff like NECA. Most of my 1/6th collection is stuff Ive made. My collection is a pretty big topic of conversation with friends and family, especially when people come over. They ask to see whats new. So its pretty cool.

Back