What do people think of sixth scale collectors and action figure collectors?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

questionman

Freakzoid
Reaction score
Hello Fellow Freaks!!

I am not new to this hobby at all. I have been collecting sixth scale for ever. Here are some questions I want to throw at you folks.

What do friends and family think of you collecting sixth scale figures? what are there reactions when they found out you collect sixth scale figures?

How do you tell a potential girl friend or boyfriend that you are in this hobby. Is it a dealbreaker? What do your partners think of your collection?

Do you think you will be collecting for years to come?

Has this hobby grown over years? Is it going to become more mainstream?

I just want to know what your feelings are about this hobby. I would like to see what your insight is.

Hellow Fellow Freaks!!

I am not new to this hobby at all. I have been collecting sixth scale for ever. Here are some questions I want to throw at you folks.
Welcome Freak

What do friends and family think of you collecting sixth scale figures? what are there reactions when they found out you collect sixth scale figures?
My parents have purchased a few figures for Christmas/Birthdays, they are cool with it. I don't have any friends, they all died in the war.

How do you tell a potential girl friend or boyfriend that you are in this hobby. Is it a dealbreaker? What do your partners think of your collection?
My then girlfriend (now wife), actually got me started in this whole mess when she purchased both Medicom Fetts in 2007. Before that I was a $6 Action figure collector. I think she regrets it sometimes.

I'm getting kind of old, been doing this for a long time. I have thought about hanging it up quite often recently because I think I have everything I need. However I am not 100% sure yet.

I think it is peaking right now.

I just want to know what your feelings are about this hobby. I would like to see what your insight is.

My family thinks I'm a loser that collects dolls. Any girl that I've been with that finds out that I collect dolls thinks I'm a loser and leaves me soon after . . . not before breaking a few and calling me immature for collecting dolls.

One time, I was told by a co-worker that I was a loser because I collected dolls and was then punched in the back of the head repeatedly. My parents said that they failed me since I am still stuck in what they seem to think is a regressive, adolescent state. I'm not even allowed to visit for the holidays because they're so ashamed. My shrink said that I'm an obsessive compulsive, hoarder and I quote, "a dolly collecting loser". My neighbors said I was a loser when they found out that I refinanced my house to support my doll collecting. My insurance advisors snickered when I sought out insurance for possible damages to my "dolls".

Buying little plastic men and women is abnormal and is shunned in this society. It's deviant behavior that shouldn't be condoned. If you are experiencing doll collecting, especially of the 1/6 variety, seek help for this disease while you still can.

Last edited:
What do friends and family think of you collecting sixth scale figures? what are there reactions when they found out you collect sixth scale figures

A waste of money, waste of space, that's what they think. they don't understand why you are not investing your money on something else.
But thanks to Marvel and Iron Man and Batman, the Big Bang Theory etc. more people are warming up to the idea of figures. If anything you can just lie and say that you really got into the marvel movies and it made you want to buy figures.

How do you tell a potential girl friend or boyfriend that you are in this hobby. What do your partners think of your collection?

I've always said that the best thing to do is to marry someone that part of this culture, even if they just like the superhero movies. Of course you can marry anyone you want and do whatever the f-- you want, BUT it is a lot easier when they at least know of the culture and the hobby, just easier to get along.
How do you tell? same thing I said before, start by talking about the Marvel movies or superhero movies in general. If they think those movies are stupid, they will most likely think your hobby is stupid as well

Is it a dealbreaker?

Definitely. it depends on the person but I had a woman I met once that I was talking to online delete me because of my pics of toys on facebook.
She said she wasn't judging but she didn't want to get to know one of "Those types"
you can either be seen as a geek or as a weirdo depending on the girl and depending on how little they know about the geek culture.

a collector never truly stops collecting. but people tend to slow down or change what they collect. the way Hot Toys is going with prices and only making Iron Men I could see people shifting their attention to something else.

Yes, definitely, Just look at Comic Con..... that's your proof right there.

1. Family thinks these figures are creepy and a waste. Friends dig it.

2. Absolutely nothing to be embarrassed about for your potential partner to know. So far chicks that I've shown them to dig it. It's not the hobby that will make them think your weird, it's your personality.

3. I'm at a point where I find myself considering getting out of it altogether more often than not. But then I look at these beautiful works of art and it's hard to let go. Now here comes Hot Toys with Marty McFly and Batman Returns so I'm really stuck for the foreseeable future.

4. This hobby has definitely grown. I've only been in it for almost 3 years now but the level of craftsmanship has certainly gone up in comparison to, say, stuff from 5 years ago. Even knock off sculpts and accessories these days can compete with the big boys. It's probably safe to say that we're in the golden age of one sixth scale.

2. Absolutely nothing to be embarrassed about for your potential partner to know. So far chicks that I've shown them to dig it. It's not the hobby that will make them think your weird, it's your personality.

it depends, if you have a house or just your room full of toys, I don't care if you are the most charming mofo in the planet some will freak out. Specially if your set up looks like a shrine or something

Everyone who knows me thinks it's awesome because they think I'm awesome.
My partner buys me dolls for Christmas and Birthdays.
If I were single then any pursued girl would discover my hobby the moment she set foot in my office. Then I'd greet any look of disdainful horror with a shout of "F **K YEAH DOLLS BABY!"

I'll stop the second someone brings out Frank N Furter, Cheech & Chong and Axel Foley dolls.

Yes, figures have got better and licenses have more mass appeal. No, collecting dolls will always be a bit weird.

It's a hobby. I have no special insights into it.

I´ve always been a collector , of antiques, statues etc. I began collecting 1/6th figures only recently. Only shown my collection to close friends , some family members. Parents aren´t enthusiastic, but overall, I´ve only heard positive things. Most people have told me it looks very elegant and classy. I guess it depends on how you display it. Thats why I'm always changing pieces, selling those I don´t enjoy anymore and adapting my focus.

My girlfriend is very supportive. She thinks my collection looks nice. She's told me that she wishes she had hobbies like mine. I love customizing my collection, assemblying kits etc. She thinks its all very interesting. Yesterday she bought me different kinds of glues as a gift because I was running out.

Sure, I hope that it never gets out of control. I never want to have too many, I want it to be one part of my life, but not the main part. I try to think they´re objects , and as such, will all have a deadline, so its ok to change focus, sell some from time to time, and readapt.

I think the overall acceptance of the hobby has grown recently. In the past it was shunned, as something only anti-social people would do, nerds with no "life". I feel that its nothing to be ashamed of, and its nice that more people are getting into it. You still hear the occasional person say - oh, but its so expensive, you could be doing X, Y or Z with that money...

Friends and family love it, especially the chucky dolls :D And my girlfriend love it to, she go's with me to the weekend of horrors and movie days. She make alsof pictures with Ken Kirzinger and Robert Englund.
Yes i collecting for the years that come :)

Good luck!

Some people find it weird, whilst some of them think it's pretty cool. I guess I've had some disgusted expressions before, and that's their right. One thing's for sure though- only a handful of couldn't care less. Love em' or hate em', people will always react to my collection.

I just tell as it is. When I was in my early 20's, I tend to hide the hobby as chicks would think it's weird that a young man would collect dollies. As I'm now financially independent and nearing my 30's, chicks tend to think it's kinda cool to have passion about something. Is it a dealbraeker? Not for me. What do my girl think of my collection? She thinks it's awesome and she'll always ask about my recent haul.

Yes! Unless I go broke first.

I guess so since a lot of people are getting into it and companies like Hot Toys really raised the bar on action figure realism. I can't count how many times I've shown Hot Toys promo pics to normal people and they would go "That's a figure? WOW!".

On the other hand, there's a dark side to the hobby as well. People get easily worked up over silly dollies and I've seen friendships broken over trivial issues related to this hobby.

I've also have come to question the nobility of the hobby as it seems some cats would collect variations of the same thing or minor characters that seems insignificant to the average Joe. Sometimes our desires seems to be more pathological rather that an earnest attempt of appreciating art. That's the kind of collector I hope I won't become.

Now what do I win? :lol

Not that I'm enslaved to what people think of anything ... but I've never even been looked-at sideways over it. Granted, I don't collect to the extent some on here do. I have a dozen figures or so. Just a couple of shelves worth.

Its a hobby like any other. And, its not my only one -- I also collect weapons, and have recently taken-up woodworking and boxing. If any of that were a 'dealbreaker' for anyone, I'd suspect I had bigger problems than a few action figures. My wife genuinely couldn't care less one way or the other, and my kids think they're pretty awesome. If you're losing friends or girls over toys ... maybe its not just the toys. I'm a well-adjusted, self-sufficient, happily-married grown-ass man. Why would a couple grand worth of action figures affect that at all?

Keep it in perspective. Know your priorities and keep 'em straight. And, don't spend money you don't have. Otherwise, who cares?

SnakeDoc

Last edited:
This again?

You're a grown man, so what your family and friends think doesn't matter. As for women, if they don't like it, then she's not for you, date someone else.

Not sure why some women would hate people like us who collect action figures. I really do not understand it. To me its like them with buying shoes and purses. They say they dont collect them, but in reality they do.

Not sure why some women would hate people like us who collect action figures. I really do not understand it. To me its like them with buying shoes and purses. They say they dont collect them, but in reality they do.

they think of this....

No they don't. If they like you, they like your stuff and what you do. If you're dating someone who doesn't, then you're stupid.

hey, I've been saying for years that you are better off marrying someone from the geek community, preaching to the choir

Back