Suggestions for taking care of Hot Toys collection. General Maintenance.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

questionman

Freakzoid
Reaction score
This may be too much of a general question. How do you guys take care of your hot toys collection? I own a rather large predator collection. I own older predators. Such as lost predator, the wolf predator's cleaner and regular. I have a Samurai Predator coming on its way. I pretty much own every hot toys predator that has come out but i have had no problems so far with qc issues. I refuse to purchase hot toys figures made with rubber bodies for the fear of the rubber breaking down over time. I go for classic plastic bodies but all of the hot toys preds have rubber dreads. I know that my collectibles wont last a million years, but I take care of everything. What are your tips and tricks?

*yawn low UV light *yawn no dust *gaaaagghh low humidity *urrrgrhh mid-ambient temperature *burp

Mate - there's gotta be at least five threads in here with the exact same OP question. :lol

Have a look around. :duff

I've never seen an open discussion thread for this. I would love to hear a couple of thoughts. I've been doing the opposite of being careful.
I kind of treat them like figures and not poseable statues, due to play is a general question

Sell them all and get out while you can.

I've taken great care of some of this crap and it seems like **** still happens to them. The worst are the true type bodies just breaking down. I've had multiple experiences where I'm picking up a figure to dust and I find that the knee joints in the legs disintegrated and came apart.

Last edited:
Two-Face, Batman, Terminator, T-1000 (2 of them)

While I wouldn't recommend just carelessly throwing them around or leaving them outside, you do have to sort of let the idea of taking care of them go. As long as you're not displaying these on the back of your toilet seat or out in the garden, I wouldn't get too caught up with maintenance for them. I used to be really OCD with the condition of my figures (all of them, not just Hot Toys) until unforeseeable aspects like fading, yellowing, discoloration, deterioration, etc. just came naturally that was out of my hands. It's sort of discouraging, but these are plastic. What you're doing is probably just fine. Keep your toys in a cool, dry place, away from sunlight and UVs and pets/other people, dust occasionally and you'll be fine. Best thing to so is not get caught up with the condition though, just try to enjoy them. After all, they're cheap, mass produces dolls from China. You can't stop time or degradation.

One simple rule:

Never touch your figure. The oil from your hand can corrode the plastic over time and/or disintergrate the miniature clothing. Fumes from your fingertips and your breath can also dissolve your figure over time. Also, intense staring at your figure can damage the plastic and material over time.

Just so you know.

I bet that intense staring will destroy my figures ha ha. I don't keep my predators in a detolf. I keep them on a shelf. I dust once a week. I am getting a detolf in the future but I won't displaying my predators in them. I tend to worry about things I spend my hard earned money on but I want to enjoy this hobby and not worry about it.

Two-Face, Batman, Terminator, T-1000 (2 of them)

While I wouldn't recommend just carelessly throwing them around or leaving them outside, you do have to sort of let the idea of taking care of them go. As long as you're not displaying these on the back of your toilet seat or out in the garden, I wouldn't get too caught up with maintenance for them. I used to be really OCD with the condition of my figures (all of them, not just Hot Toys) until unforeseeable aspects like fading, yellowing, discoloration, deterioration, etc. just came naturally that was out of my hands. It's sort of discouraging, but these are plastic. What you're doing is probably just fine. Keep your toys in a cool, dry place, away from sunlight and UVs and pets/other people, dust occasionally and you'll be fine. Best thing to so is not get caught up with the condition though, just try to enjoy them. After all, they're cheap, mass produces dolls from China. You can't stop time or degradation.

Yup. Make like an Elsa and let it goooooo

Sacrifice one to the Gods each year so He'll spare and protect the rest of your collection.

Did I say God? I meant wife.

In stead of answering your question with sarcasm, I will just answer your question--it's a good question.

Keep out of direct sunlight.

When you handle your figures, make sure you have washed your hands, trimmed your nails.

Get to know how the underlying bodies operate, before manhandling. Watch a video review or two.

Especially the newer preds, the joints are TIGHT, use patience, or gently heat with hairdryer for a few seconds.

Remember that these are toys, albeit expensive so enjoy what they are.

I have had a SS Connor McLeod figure, exposed on a shelf since it came out. I lightly dust monthly. Rarely repose. The joints are still tight, the clothing perfect (as you can get with a 10 yr old figure)

OP, and everyone who answered OP's question sans sarcasm, thank you. I've been wondering the exact same thing as you, and even created another thread on this (searched before, but somehow missed this).

Any way, it seems using rubber care products such as Gummi Pflege and 303 Aerospace Protectant also helps maintaining the soft plastic and rubbery parts of these predators. I have yet to break the seals on my preds, but am sure to treat them as soon as I open them.

Back