Big Chief Studios - Doctor Who - 11th Doctor 1/6 TARDIS

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Big Chief Studios - Doctor Who - 1/6 TARDIS

Regarding price I would draw your attention to this – https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Doctor-W...room_Wastebaskets_Bins_PP&hash=item4ad758d672 don't laugh, there are comparisons that can be drawn.

First of this bin is nearly 1/6 scale and if you take into account the thickness of the plastic plus the inner bit there would probably be enough raw material to make it 1/6 especially if it was flat packed.

Second, it's a pedal bin and as such it has mechanical moving parts so it required some engineering.

Third, it has lights and sounds, the top light lights up and it makes the usual Tardis noises so it's got electronics.

And lastly it's a licensed product.

The price …... £48.00. Now, obviously there will be economy's of scale involved here there could be many thousands of these pedal bins made compared to maybe only 3000 odd of the BCS Tardis so I certainly wouldn't be expecting it to be that kind of price.

However neither would I expect it to be ridiculously expensive either, after all it's just a plastic box and even at 1/6 with mechanical moving parts, electronics and the licensing fees, all of which the bin has, it really should come in quite affordable.

Thanks Captain. I'm a little bit snowed under with giving advice to various companies at this time ... ;-)
Seriously though, I have designed a snap together TARDIS using state of the art CAD software, deigned to be machined on a laser cutter.
I will, one day, put it into work.
What it lacks is the wooden texturing. That's an easy add though.

I'd be more than ecstatic to be involved in the toy manufacturing of a TARDIS. I recently had the pleasure of having lunch with the man behind a Trek line if toys where we discussed possible collaboration.

The reality is that I'm stupid busy with my current projects. However, I can't see why a TARDIS can't be made cheaply. Let's face it, it's a ridiculously simple design. Each face is the same, it's symmetrical, and it has a bi symmetrical cross section. The flat pack design is the best for all concerned ... Both manufacturer and customer.

If it's more than $200 we will be getting ripped off.

I reckon, it might be the final motivation to build my own. No way would I pay 400.

If it's more than $200 we will be getting ripped off.

I agree 100%. The only reason it's being made from something other than wood is so it can be made in China super cheap and super fast. If they sell it for what it truly is (a larger scale of the flight control TARDIS) it should be $200 or even less. But this isn't sold by a toy manufacturer, it's sold by BC who sells higher quality "toys". It will have a BC price, it won't be cheap.

BC said on their Facebook page.....
"As a heads up the final production piece will sadly not be wooden. To do so would result in a retail price of around £1000 each!"

We should remember too that the flight control Tardis had a big production run and I feel pretty certain that the BCS version will run at a fraction of that.

Lets not forget there's incentive for keeping the price low. If it's only a few hundred dollars they could make a TARDIS for each Doctor and people would be more likely to collect each one, just like they do with the CO figures. If its $500+ most will only buy the one which would probably result in lower profits for Big Chief. There's so little differences between the different TARDIS designs, roof and colour aside it would make sense to reuse the molds as much as possible to keep the prices down, make all of the different designs and get the collectors buying more of your product.

A flight control TARDIS sells for about ten quid (10 UK Pounds for the non British speakers ! Haha!) and the company, CO, made a number of variations.
A plastic box of any size is cheap to manufacture, and as we all ow, the TARDIS is a simple design as stated before.
The CO TARDIS sets made for the more limited collectors market, including an action figure were around 35 quid. The product is aprox 1:12 scale.
A 1:6 scale version would be 4x the volume, therefore 4 x th amount of plastic, BUT no more design needs go into it. Mathematically, 4 x 35 quid. 140 quid.. Under $200.00

A flight control TARDIS sells for about ten quid (10 UK Pounds for the non British speakers ! Haha!) and the company, CO, made a number of variations.
A plastic box of any size is cheap to manufacture, and as we all ow, the TARDIS is a simple design as stated before.
The CO TARDIS sets made for the more limited collectors market, including an action figure were around 35 quid. The product is aprox 1:12 scale.
A 1:6 scale version would be 4x the volume, therefore 4 x th amount of plastic, BUT no more design needs go into it. Mathematically, 4 x 35 quid. 140 quid.. Under $200.00
You should write the guys at BCS and tell them the best way to go would be the flat pack assemble at home version. You've got it all figured out my man.

Haha! Not exactly. It's just that's how I was going to manufacture my 1:6 plastic version.
The CO TARDIS releases have all been first class. The door mechanism that holds open and allows for a release at the touch of a button is cool.
The reality is that the TARDIS, TO BE HIGH END, and of superior quality with (perhaps) weathering paint aps would require to be manufactured as a single unit. The electronics could be contained in the roof section, lighting the interior and the Police signs.
There should also be the opening phone door, revealing a telephone. This should be 'usable'.
I spent some time developing designs for the 1:6 TARDIS for myself, then I just could not find the time to realize it. I am tho, most convinced that BC will produce an awesome TARDIS and I'll be dropping my PO down as soon as it's available.

Haha! Not exactly. It's just that's how I was going to manufacture my 1:6 plastic version.
The CO TARDIS releases have all been first class. The door mechanism that holds open and allows for a release at the touch of a button is cool.
The reality is that the TARDIS, TO BE HIGH END, and of superior quality with (perhaps) weathering paint aps would require to be manufactured as a single unit. The electronics could be contained in the roof section, lighting the interior and the Police signs.
There should also be the opening phone door, revealing a telephone. This should be 'usable'.
I spent some time developing designs for the 1:6 TARDIS for myself, then I just could not find the time to realize it. I am tho, most convinced that BC will produce an awesome TARDIS and I'll be dropping my PO down as soon as it's available.
Well at least plant the seed in their heads about it, maybe they'll consider it. I think flat packing would also prevent many getting damaged.in transit, that will only benefit both BCS and us.

The flat pack design I came up with for mine would work , even with the telephone, working door etc. the way I'd planned involved a self locking unit and seamless, once 'plugged' together.
The more I thought about it, a big hollow shell would be very fragile in transit. Flat packing, where all the functioning parts are enclosed in certain parts would be a great way to go. The trick is to use the pillars as your guides. Once plugged into the base the rest of the parts slide in and plug in.
The packaging would be smaller, therefore less costly to send out.
I'm sure that the BC crew are giving a lot more thought than I am .

I'm hoping this thing will be at about $350, if it is over $400 it's a ripoff and I'll be trolling eBay for a custom one, especially seeing the prices they're at right now...

Depends....I'm happy to pay a little more if they pull off making it bigger inside.

:)

BCS reading this thread -
"They want us to make this for the same price as a trash can. Okay - bin the TARDIS designs - not going to happen!"

I will own this .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back