Ebola scaring anyone?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Who's afraid?

• Yes

Votes: 18 18.9%
  • No

Votes: 65 68.4%
  • Whatever

Votes: 12 12.6%

• Total voters
We're talking about health and education. You're pushing an anti-colonial barrow that has nothing to do with health and education.

- Colonial boundaries that bear little correlation with the tribal groups contained within them is part of the problem.

This was the part of the point I was trying to make with the map and a relatively recent map at that.
This runs through to present day, has an effect on the population and still continues in various ways.
Bottom line is that it doesn't really matter where this happens, that fact that is happening anywhere is a problem.

This was the part of the point I was trying to make with the map and a relatively recent map at that.
This runs through to present day, has an effect on the population and still continues in various ways.
Bottom line is that it doesn't really matter where this happens, that fact that is happening anywhere is a problem.

Oh I agree - my comment was made in the context of why Africa is messed up more broadly. As far as the Ebola outbreak goes specifically though, the wider cultural aversion to contemporary medicine is more pertinent. Consumption of bushmeat is problematic also. Basically Ebola is, through a conflation of cultural and political factors, a uniquely African problem and is likely to remain that way. Any instance of the disease occurring in places with appropriate medical response protocols will be pretty short-lived.

Tribalism is bad for you.

And living in a 40 square mile area inhabited by approximately 100,000 people, I'm not scared in the least.

There's no reason to fear ebola outside of the afflicted areas. It's all media hype for a good story.

One of the problems is that this particular strain has 'only' a 50% or so mortality rate. The more lethal strains of past outbreaks meant that they were more easily contained. Flying afflicted doctors back to their home countries for treatment is not necessarily the smartest move.

There's no reason to fear ebola outside of the afflicted areas. It's all media hype for a good story.

i know right. this shat is soooo 1995. :lol

Outbreak_movie.JPG

The people who have it are pretty scared I recon...

:exactly:

Heads of State asking for help as they are I'll equipped to handle this.
Airlines no longer landing in infected areas essentially cutting them off.
Foreigners being flown out and treated separately.
Over 50% mortality rate.
I'd be scared too, hopefully the new vaccine will be successful.

The contrast between this and the respiratory virus sending kids to the hospital is interesting to say the least.

:exactly:

Heads of State asking for help as they are I'll equipped to handle this.
Airlines no longer landing in infected areas essentially cutting them off.
Foreigners being flown out and treated separately.
Over 50% mortality rate.
I'd be scared too, hopefully the new vaccine will be successful.

The contrast between this and the respiratory virus sending kids to the hospital is interesting to say the least.

That respiratory virus isn't anything new, you're just hearing about it more now.

This is just my opinion, but I think kids are more sickly now. They get things easier. Add to that doctor handing out anti-biotics like they're candy doesn't help matters.

Back