The Next Indiana Jones?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Who should be the next Indiana Jones?

• Total voters
Bond is a literary character created by Ian Fleming. Connery, although iconic, is not the best Bond in terms of realizing the character onscreen. That honor goes to Dalton and Craig. Indy isn't some literary character. Ford IS Indy. It's like recasting Rambo, Rocky, or John McClain. We haven't seen an iconic action hero recast yet. Sure, Mad Max is being redone but I'd hardly call him iconic. He has more of a cult following. Why the push for a reboot?

First of all, Sean Connery IS James Bond, and always will be, but I still enjoy Dalton and Craig. Anyway, what's wrong with a reboot and having a new actor playing Indy? Does it hurt the older films? No, it doesn't. And I don't think any actor is irreplaceable... the same way Dalton and Craig are better, in your opinion, then the same can happen with Indy or any other character. I actually would like to see a Rambo origin movie, and I'm a HUGE Stallone/Rambo fan. I would like to see a film about Rambo in Vietnam, and see how he was before those experiences changed him into the Rambo that we know from First Blood.

I don't get why people are afraid of remakes and reboots? Are they afraid that the new version we'll be better than the original? Are they afraid that people will accept the new version more than the original film? It makes no sense. If the remake is great, you have another great film to watch and enjoy and it keeps the character alive and relevant, and if it sucks, you still have the original and nothing will change that, and people will forget about the remake :dunno

Yes! Indy isn't even all that original. Give us some new action heroes. Naming a character Indiana Jones and giving him a fedora and bull whip doesn't equal instant success.

Bond is a literary character created by Ian Fleming. Connery, although iconic, is not the best Bond in terms of realizing the character onscreen. That honor goes to Dalton and Craig. Indy isn't some literary character. Ford IS Indy. It's like recasting Rambo, Rocky, or John McClain. We haven't seen an iconic action hero recast yet. Sure, Mad Max is being redone but I'd hardly call him iconic. He has more of a cult following. Why the push for a reboot?

I've never played Uncharted, but I'd love to see some Nathan Drake movies. Reboot Lara Croft while you're at it and get Pitfall Harry on the big screen! And finally make a couple original action adventure movies and who knows? Play your cards right, one might be successful enough to base a franchise around.

Everyone has their opinion, and mine is that Connory was the best Bond. :D

Yes! Indy isn't even all that original. Give us some new action heroes. Naming a character Indiana Jones and giving him a fedora and bull whip doesn't equal instant success.

I've never played Uncharted, but I'd love to see some Nathan Drake movies. Reboot Lara Croft while you're at it and get Pitfall Harry on the big screen! And finally make a couple original action adventure movies and who knows? Play your cards right, one might be successful enough to base a franchise around.
Star power means something but without script and direction you have nothing...IJ could be played by quite a few. Give me a break. The newest Star Trek guys did great by playing the old ST cast that at one time also was thought to be impossible to replace. Good direction and Script is where it's at. Even Freakin a Godzilla is played by different ones and as long as we get a great story etc I'm ok with the latest change

Yeah, but we got Roger Moore...

Roger Moore still made money for UA and was entertaining. I personally do not hate any Bond film but like some better than others. All were entertaining in their own way

Connery BEST and one and only 007.
I loved Dalton's films....Brosnan saddled with worst scripts of the series.
Lazenby good in what would have been the best 007 film had Connery did it
Moore was enjoyable but not Bond

Eh, stating Dalton and Craig are more like the Bond from Fleming's novels isn't really an opinion like stating "Connery is the best!" Connery's Bond is classic and because he was the first actor to portray him and in the films that likely introduced the character to audiences, he is likely many people's favorite. However, his portrayal doesn't really line up with the literary character too much. You might prefer Connery's Bond to the original from the books, that's fine. But my argument was Dalton and Craig aren't just pretending to be Connery when they got the role. They're pretending to be a character that's much deeper and more complex than what could even appear onscreen and because of that they seem like real, battle hardened, cynical men with tormented souls. Connery was just a suave, one liner lady's man. What will a new Indy do? Will he look to books for more knowledge of the character? Nope. The character exists on the screen. Nothing more to do than try to copy Harrison's mannerisms while in the costume. River Phoenix did that and did it well enough for his brief scene in LC. But would anyone get excited to seen him in that role for a two hour movie? I wouldn't.

As for reboots, they do hurt the originals because it throws out an old continuity and makes stories in a new one. They don't add to the series, they replace it. A sequel? A sequel adds to a story. It builds off what came before it. If I wanted to see Chris Pratt or Bradley Cooper running through deserts and jungles, punching bad guys, finding treasure, and getting the girl then WHY must they do it as Indy and restrict their talent into mimicking a character that was defined by another man? Why not give them different names, different outfits, and different characters? Indy was just a throw back to another era of movie heroes. Let's do that again.

This thread is as sad as a Gene Wilder watching Johnny Depp in Willy Wonka's Chocolate factory.

Eh, stating Dalton and Craig are more like the Bond from Fleming's novels isn't really an opinion like stating "Connery is the best!" Connery's Bond is classic and because he was the first actor to portray him and in the films that likely introduced the character to audiences, he is likely many people's favorite. However, his portrayal doesn't really line up with the literary character too much. You might prefer Connery's Bond to the original from the books, that's fine. But my argument was Dalton and Craig aren't just pretending to be Connery when they got the role. They're pretending to be a character that's much deeper and more complex than what could even appear onscreen and because of that they seem like real, battle hardened, cynical men with tormented souls. Connery was just a suave, one liner lady's man. What will a new Indy do? Will he look to books for more knowledge of the character? Nope. The character exists on the screen. Nothing more to do than try to copy Harrison's mannerisms while in the costume. River Phoenix did that and did it well enough for his brief scene in LC. But would anyone get excited to seen him in that role for a two hour movie? I wouldn't.

As for reboots, they do hurt the originals because it throws out an old continuity and makes stories in a new one. They don't add to the series, they replace it. A sequel? A sequel adds to a story. It builds off what came before it. If I wanted to see Chris Pratt or Bradley Cooper running through deserts and jungles, punching bad guys, finding treasure, and getting the girl then WHY must they do it as Indy and restrict their talent into mimicking a character that was defined by another man? Why not give them different names, different outfits, and different characters? Indy was just a throw back to another era of movie heroes. Let's do that again.

How exactly does a remake replaces an original film? :lol A reboot or a remake doesn't hurt the original film in any way and if anything, it makes people aware of the original movies. You will always have the original intact and nothing can change that. Also, they keep the brand/franchise relevant. I've never heard of a reboot replacing an original film....and if they did, it's because the reboot is probably better.

Indy is a recognizable brand/franchise and people know it, so why would Disney not take advantage of that? As far as other actors playing Indy, they don't have to mimic Harrison Ford or restrict their talent in any way, in the same way Roger Moore didn't imitate Sean Connery as Bond. Jeff Bridges didn't imitate John Wayne in the True Grit remake, and the film was still great. Most people considered it to be better than the John Wayne version, and did the remake replace the original? No. Does it hurt the "continuity" of the original film series? No, that original film/story came to an end. The same will happen to Indiana Jones, because at some point, Ford will not play the character again, so that continuity will end....but that doesn't mean that the character has to end there.

As far as sequels adding something. The truth is, there is never really a need for a sequel, but they get made because they make money. Raiders of the Lost Ark, had a beginning, a middle and an ending. No NEED for a sequel, but the sequels got made because they make money. Do they add something to the story? Not really, nothing in the Indy sequels changes or affects what happens in Raiders of the Lost Ark because each film it's a separate story/adventure.

I'm ok with new "original" characters and new films. I'm just not against reboots or remakes.

This thread is as sad as a Gene Wilder watching Johnny Depp in Willy Wonka's Chocolate factory.

And did the Johnny Depp Willy Wonka remake replace or erase the Gene Wilder version? No. You know what really sucked? Indy 4 with old Harrison Ford in a fridge, fighting giant fake ants, Aliens, and having Shia Lebeouf as a son :lol

I'm just glad Shia Lebeouf went crazy so he will most likely not be in any future Indy movies.

Not only that, he burned some bridges when he said Indy 4 sucked and that Spielberg and Lucas should apologize to the fans. Even Harrison Ford told him, "What are you doing saying something like that?" So no, we won't see him in any Indy films ever again :lol

How exactly does a remake replaces an original film? :lol A reboot or a remake doesn't hurt the original film in any way and if anything, it makes people aware of the original movies. You will always have the original intact and nothing can change that. Also, they keep the brand/franchise relevant. I've never heard of a reboot replacing an original film....and if they did, it's because the reboot is probably better.

A reboot, by its definition, replaces a continuity. Batfleck's Batman is replacing Bale's which replaced Keaton's/Kilmer's/Clooney's which replaced West's. They are the same character but their movies don't fit with one another. They're separate continues. So yes, a reboot does replace a series. Yes you're correct, the original exists, but after a film series has been rebooted there's little to no chance to see a previous incarnation get expanded upon.

Indy is a recognizable brand/franchise and people know it, so why would Disney not take advantage of that?

They can. By casting Harrison Ford as Indy. The guy's alive.

in the same way Roger Moore didn't imitate Sean Connery as Bond. Jeff Bridges didn't imitate John Wayne in the True Grit remake, and the film was still great. Most people considered it to be better than the John Wayne version, and did the remake replace the original? No. Does it hurt the "continuity" of the original film series? No, that original film/story came to an end.

Moot point, those are both adaptations of books. Try again. And yes, True Grit did come to an end so there was no need for a sequel. Indiana Jones didn't come to an end. I distinctly remember him snatching the fedora from Mutt and placing it on his head where it belongs.

The same will happen to Indiana Jones, because at some point, Ford will not play the character again, so that continuity will end....but that doesn't mean that the character has to end there.

That's fine. But I don't see the point to do it within 20 years of the last Indy movie or as long as Harrison Ford is alive. Not only alive but supposedly interested in reprising the role.

As far as sequels adding something. The truth is, there is never really a need for a sequel, but they get made because they make money. Raiders of the Lost Ark, had a beginning, a middle and an ending. No NEED for a sequel, but the sequels got made because they make money. Do they add something to the story? Not really, nothing in the Indy sequels changes or affects what happens in Raiders of the Lost Ark because each film it's a separate story/adventure.

True, there's no reason to make a sequel other than to make money. Or is there? Because a writer has a story to tell with that character? Because a film team enjoys working together? Or maybe an actor has fun playing the role? Likely it's a combination of all of those elements. Don't see much point in making sequels/prequels with new writers or actors unless there is an unresolved story arc. As you observed with Indy, there isn't one so why try to make one anyways without the original team?

I'm ok with new "original" characters and new films. I'm just not against reboots or remakes.

I'm not against reboots or remakes either. That is, if a film franchise is driven into the ground and effed up beyond all repair (Burton/Schumacher Batman series), it's run its course and has a conclusion preventing a sequel (Nolan Batman), they messed up the adaptation the first time or it's dated compared to current publications of a story (West Batman), or due technical limitations and poor budget of the original (Wizard of Oz, Ben-Hur, Narnia, etc).

I guess I wouldn't care to see a new Indy without Ford. Especially as long as he's alive.

If they make a new Indy without a Ford, you will see it. Oh yes you will. I could understand if they change the character from his normal persona I could understand. If they ever for me make James Bond without an English accent or non white, or a woman or a switch hitter, I won't watch it. Hey for me IJ is Ford too but if another guy takes his place and does a great job with a great script I'll be ok with it.... As long as the new guy plays a Ford type of IJ

A reboot, by its definition, replaces a continuity. Batfleck's Batman is replacing Bale's which replaced Keaton's/Kilmer's/Clooney's which replaced West's. They are the same character but their movies don't fit with one another. They're separate continues. So yes, a reboot does replace a series. Yes you're correct, the original exists, but after a film series has been rebooted there's little to no chance to see a previous incarnation get expanded upon.

Yeah, like I said, the original still exists. As far as the continuity ending. So what? Every story comes to an end and the continuity has to end at some point, so it makes no difference if they make a reboot or not.

They can. By casting Harrison Ford as Indy. The guy's alive.

He's also 72 now and Indy is a very physical role. By the time they make another one he'll be in his mid 70's. In the last film he was beating guys half his age, and it didn't look believable...imagine a guy in his mid 70's doing that and running around and jumping. Sure, they can and will use a YOUNG (the irony) stunt double, but that doesn't make it believable, when we know he can't do that anymore.

Moot point, those are both adaptations of books. Try again. And yes, True Grit did come to an end so there was no need for a sequel. Indiana Jones didn't come to an end. I distinctly remember him snatching the fedora from Mutt and placing it on his head where it belongs.

What difference does it make if they are book adaptations? You said Connery was not really accurate to the book and Moore played himself as James Bond, which shows that any actor can play a character without mimicking the previous actor or relying on the book to interpret a character. If a new actor plays Indy, he can do his own interpretation because it's not a sequel, it's a reboot/ remake, thus, he doesn't even have to look or act like Ford, just like Bale doesn't act or look like Keaton. Chris Pine plays Capt Kirk in the reboot and he doesn't look or act like William Shatner. Did that hurt the film? No. As far as the Indy 4 ending...that's a fine ending. He gets married, happy ending. And more importantly, it's an ending! There are good remakes not based on a books, like Ben Hur, Star Trek, Planet of the Apes...and the list goes on.

That's fine. But I don't see the point to do it within 20 years of the last Indy movie or as long as Harrison Ford is alive. Not only alive but supposedly interested in reprising the role.

So the choices are to use a 72 + year old actor...or wait more than 20 years? What difference does it make to wait more than 20 years then? It's going to get made eventually, I rather get one while I'm still alive to see it :lol

True, there's no reason to make a sequel other than to make money. Or is there? Because a writer has a story to tell with that character? Because a film team enjoys working together? Or maybe an actor has fun playing the role? Likely it's a combination of all of those elements. Don't see much point in making sequels/prequels with new writers or actors unless there is an unresolved story arc. As you observed with Indy, there isn't one so why try to make one anyways without the original team?

Writers have zero control...in most cases they are hired by the producer to do a job. Film teams don't decide to make movies either, the studio does. Actors can love a role, but again the studio decides if they want a sequel, and it's not because they are creative, it's business. Ron Perlman wants to play Hellboy, and he can't do anything about it, even the writer/ Director Guillermo Del Toro wants to do it, but the studio doesn't. Why? It's a business. I can think of several reason of why they should do a reboot with new actors. Age, Ford is too old, imo. The original team...just doesn't have the magic any more either. Indy 4 proves it. Also, at this point I feel Ford just wants another big paycheck, so he having "interest", it's just a paycheck role. Maybe a young actor will bring passion and something new to the character...maybe.

I'm not against reboots or remakes either. That is, if a film franchise is driven into the ground and effed up beyond all repair (Burton/Schumacher Batman series), it's run its course and has a conclusion preventing a sequel (Nolan Batman), they messed up the adaptation the first time or it's dated compared to current publications of a story (West Batman), or due technical limitations and poor budget of the original (Wizard of Oz, Ben-Hur, Narnia, etc).

I guess I wouldn't care to see a new Indy without Ford. Especially as long as he's alive.

Indy 4 is the Batman and Robin of the franchise....it was horrible, imo. You combine that with Ford's age and the fact that it was the original team dropping the ball, an I think it's time to get a new actor to play the character and a new team. If Ford plays Indy again, fine, but I'm just not against a new actor.

Found this image. Pratt as Indy.
ChrisPrattIndianaJones.jpg

No but I made a Riddick in the toilet this morning.:pfft: Funny I never even read the thread from the beginning just that last couple of pages. Love that pic of Cooper though-looks 'special'

Back