Any Meat Eaters on this board?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anybody had any exotic or unusual meat (outside of the normal beef, pork, chicken, turkey, fish, shellfish)? I've had bison, rattlesnake and alligator. Frog legs. Ostrich. Duck. Squid. Mutton. Quail. Haven't tried elk yet, though there's a restaurant in Houston that serves elk chops. Haven't had much venison. Aunt cooked some a time or two when I was a kid ... but that woman can't cook for crap, so it was a bit like gnawing on the heel of my boot. Didn't like it at all. I need to try it again with a cook that knows the meaning of "medium rare".

Any recommendations?

SnakeDoc

Buffalo.

I won't eat veal, or lamb, but that's just me.

I don't care much for wild meat so I pass on it. It's usually too lean and it has to be cooked just right.

The pork chops I had tonight were horrible. I need to get to the farmer's market more often.

I never pass up the opportunity to eat a nice steak. Buffalo is pretty common in my area so I'll grab a buffalo burger or steak whenever I can. Every meal I eat includes meat because it tastes good and I want to eat it.

I never pass up the opportunity to eat a nice steak. Buffalo is pretty common in my area so I'll grab a buffalo burger or steak whenever I can. Every meal I eat includes meat because it tastes good and I want to eat it.

what are your feelings on chicken or fish

I like chicken just fine--if I have a salad I also have chicken in it. Turkey is good, too. I don't eat much fish besides salmon or tuna salad but love lobster, crab, shrimp, and scallops. I think the most unusual meat I've eaten is alligator, which was pretty good but I can't pick it up at the grocery store, lol.

I like chicken just fine--if I have a salad I also have chicken in it. Turkey is good, too. I don't eat much fish besides salmon or tuna salad but love lobster, crab, shrimp, and scallops. I think the most unusual meat I've eaten is alligator, which was pretty good but I can't pick it up at the grocery store, lol.

You can probably order it on line.

just spent 48 doolarz for a 3 inch thick angus beef scotch fillet....garlic and peppercorn sauce. Mmmmmmmmmmmm.

I won't eat veal, or lamb, but that's just me.

I don't care much for wild meat so I pass on it. It's usually too lean and it has to be cooked just right.

The pork chops I had tonight were horrible. I need to get to the farmer's market more often.

Why were they horrible? If they're thick cut, you can sear 'em like you would a steak. Medium is best. Really juicy that way. Thin chops ought to be fried, though. Searing thin chops tends to dry 'em out.

I've had lamb. I liked it a lot. Never had veal, though. Wouldn't mind it.

SnakeDoc

Last edited:
I've been to Fogo de Chao. It wasn't bad. Struck me as quantity over quality, though. I tend to prefer quantity and quality (The Taste of Texas serves a 32 oz porterhouse that's to die for, for instance). Brazilian steakhouses push the cheaper chicken and beef cuts pretty hard, rather than the higher end lamb chops and bacon-wrapped filets, which didn't come around nearly often enough. I thought the lamb chops at Fogo were the best dish there, though. Very juicy.

SnakeDoc

Last edited:
I've been to Fogo do Chao. It wasn't bad. Struck me as quantity over quality, though. I tend to prefer quantity and quality (The Taste of Texas serves a 32 oz porterhouse that's to die for, for instance). Brazilian steakhouses push the cheaper chicken and beef cuts pretty hard, rather than the higher end lamb chops and bacon-wrapped filets, which didn't come around nearly often enough. I thought the lamb chops at Fogo were the best dish there, though. Very juicy.

SnakeDoc
I've ate at that one and one called Chima. I think Chima was better and they had a two tier pricing. For those who didn't want all the different meats. I got the higher end and the wife had the lower one. I think it was $50 and $35 respectively.

Why were they horrible? If they're thick cut, you can sear 'em like you would a steak. Medium is best. Really juicy that way. Thin chops ought to be fried, though. Searing thin chops tends to dry 'em out.

I've had lamb. I liked it a lot. Never had veal, though. Wouldn't mind it.

SnakeDoc

I don't know how to explain it, but they tasted old.

As for veal and lamb, I just don't want to eat babies. I guess we all have our quirks.

As for veal and lamb, I just don't want to eat babies. I guess we all have our quirks.

You are missing out! they are delicious

6a00d8341bf67c53ef017d42b0efcf970c-pi

:drool

just kidding :lol

Lamb meat is essentially from a sheep that is less than 2 to 3 years of age. If the sheep is above the age of 3 years, the meat is called mutton. Essentially, the only difference between lambs and sheep is the fact that lambs are young sheep, specifically a sheep below one year of age. After the lamb ages past one year, it is considered as sexually active and officially a sheep. So lamb meat is not really from babies. unless it's labeled as such. Yearling lamb — a young sheep between 12 and 24 months old.

Last edited:
goat > lamb/sheep

i am not particularly a fan of lamb/sheep meat. it is pretty much in abundance here in NZ...the irony of it all. lolz

I've had lamb, veil, venison, goat, quail, duck, goose, wild boar, buffalo meat, etc. I love all of it, and the babies are especially tasty :lol. Lots of different sea foods, too; I ate so much sashimi and sushi at my college.

Moose is delicious. My Sgt. is an avid hunter and went to Canada to get a moose and gave me a couple pounds, tasty tasty. He also gave me orix and wild boar. Orix was great, boar was ok. Buffalo burgers are alright, heard so much about how great buffalo is but I wasn't too impressed.

Best burger I ever had was a kobe beef burger in Vegas.

Wanna try bear.

Back