1/6 1/6 Hot Toys: Ellen Ripley - Alien - Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Toys: Ellen Ripley - Alien (Updated with new prototype HS)

I like Lucas a lot, childhood hero and all, and I agree about how he single-handedly changed the industry -- they will be studying him for years in film school -- but I have to respond to your post with: Howard the Duck and Willow. In fact, beyond the conceits he came up with in his twenties/thirties (Star Wars and Indiana Jones) he's created no new story of value.

In fairness (and not that I'm disagreeing tbh), it's a common theme in anything creative - people do their best work when they're young & hungry. There are exceptions of course, those that don't lose it, but not so many. Success definitely doesn't help continued creativity - not necessarily because of the person I think, but because so many other (non-creative) people tend to then be around. The whole world & inspiration of that person inevitably changes.

* packs soapbox away *

because so many other (non-creative) people tend to then be around. The whole world & inspiration of that person inevitably changes.

* packs soapbox away *

That's probably very true, as well as having children of your own, getting married, etc. Life moves in a different direction from obsessive youth.

Cameron beats Lucas any day of the week for me. Lucas didn't even direct the very best Star Wars film.

I like Lucas a lot, childhood hero and all, and I agree about how he single-handedly changed the industry -- they will be studying him for years in film school -- but I have to respond to your post with: Howard the Duck and Willow. In fact, beyond the conceits he came up with in his twenties/thirties (Star Wars and Indiana Jones) he's created no new story of value.

Never watched Howard the Duck, so I can't comment, but I do remember how much I enjoyed Willow.
It is true that he has not come up with any other stories, but then again, how many directors/writers have made up one, let alone two such powerful icons? And just to go back to the original discussion, Cameron hasn't.

I think he gave all he got with thx1138 creativly speaking.
Star wars (like avatar) is completely dérivative, not original, yet its solid entertainment.
All the things i love about Star wars are mostly the work of other talents.
Joe Johnston, ralph mcquarrie, irvin kirshner, gary kurtz.
I respect his business skills, the fact he started it all, he choosed his collaborators well but as an artist himself im not impressed.

I wouldn't call Star Wars derivative at all. Even though Lucas used a lot of material and ideas from other sources, he still fashioned the entire thing into a unique vision. Nobody had seen or done anything like Star Wars before. To question his artistic abilities seems a bit presumptuous. It's like dismissing Ridley Scott's vision on Alien because the creature and derelict were designed by Giger. Film is a collaborative medium. Just remember that all the things you love about SW wouldn't be there if George Lucas hadn't written the story and chosen those designs and made the movie the way he made it.

If you were around in the 70's you would find Avatar very derivative too. I think I had a black-light poster with floating islands of rock with waterfalls and strange birds.

One thing I will say about Cameron though -- he does keep surprising us. Every time they say he can't do it, he does.

I like Cameron's movies for what they are: popcorn flicks. But he does get too heavy-handed with his message, it's just too obvious. There is more nuance in just about any character or story of George Lucas than a James Cameron story or character. Whether you like those stories or characters is something else.

In fairness (and not that I'm disagreeing tbh), it's a common theme in anything creative - people do their best work when they're young & hungry. There are exceptions of course, those that don't lose it, but not so many. Success definitely doesn't help continued creativity - not necessarily because of the person I think, but because so many other (non-creative) people tend to then be around. The whole world & inspiration of that person inevitably changes.

* packs soapbox away *

Perfect. Completely agree.

Where's Ripley PO HT??? (getting back on topic)

Fassbender is famously well endowed. Few men like to be reminded of the big dikkin their wife was getting before they met :lol

What - so.. you're serious? Your mate's wife was once involved with him?

What - so.. you're serious? Your mate's wife was once involved with him?

Yeah, before he was famous they worked in the same pub and were going out for a year or so. Talking about 'The Fass' with my mate and his wife becomes funnier with each progressively well received movie he features in. I like to casually ask his wife if she's seen the latest Fassbender flick, and we talk about cinematography, performances, scripting... but the discussion always ends up with how massive his shlong is :lol

My cousin's partner apparently once had relations with Lena Headey, also before she was famous.

Incidentally.

One of my housemates at uni had a friend who went out with Faye from Steps, before she joined Steps.

I'm throwing down the gauntlet for obscure-several-steps-removed-90s-celeb relations here.

First one to get to Kevin Bacon wins :lol

Having Google, I do now. A brief part in Sabrina the Teenage Witch, eh?

Back