Hot Toys - STAR WARS 1/6th & 1/4th Figures from Episode I-VII + New Interviews

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Toys - STAR WARS 1/6th & 1/4th Scale Figures from Episode I - VII Announcemen

Thank you, Hot Toys!

image.jpg

Re: Hot Toys - STAR WARS 1/6th & 1/4th Scale Figures from Episode I - VII Announcemen

I hate that they have the 1/4 scale rights as well. They never bothered making anything on that scale. Probably just got it to prevent other companies from having it.

Sideshow is done with Star Wars after this announcement (IMO). The 1/4 scale line would fill the gap in my PF line beautifully if posed in a statuesque manner. Sideshow has been spotty with their releases, being a real rollercoaster in quality and likeness.

Hot Toys has an excellent track record of both quality and likeness, and if you compare them to Sideshow alone HT has them beat and especially in the 1/6th scale arena.

Expect some insane pieces from HT to come down the line soon. I'm sure some insane prices to go with it, but I would be far more comfortable placing POs on HT items than Sideshow. I really love Sideshow and I have really wanted to like a number of their pieces. Their 1:1 Salacious Crumb and PF Speeder Bike w/Scout I have are absolute second to none in quality. The human characters just don't hit the mark like how HT can reproduce. Seeing their attention to detail I think we can expect to see some absolutely beautiful offerings soon.

Finally, I highly doubt they're JUST NOW working on anything. They've probably had the license for a while under the radar and have been preparing Star Wars already and I wouldn't be surprised if there was a reveal on something to preview by Fall.

Before anyone gets too excited go take a long, hard look at your Ra's al Ghul figure.

Yeah.. their QC is laughable with a few lines at this point - agreed. :gah:

They do such beautiful work, & then make bad decisions in other ways.

This is what happens when a company is small and is trying to earn a good rep, they put out quality products. The problem is now that their bigger and established a rep they get sloppy and complacent. They have QC problems with the lines they have now, what happens when you add SW? Do you really think the quality will get better with more figures being produced? :dunno

Sideshow is done with Star Wars after this announcement (IMO). The 1/4 scale line would fill the gap in my PF line beautifully if posed in a statuesque manner. Sideshow has been spotty with their releases, being a real rollercoaster in quality and likeness.

Hot Toys has an excellent track record of both quality and likeness, and if you compare them to Sideshow alone HT has them beat and especially in the 1/6th scale arena.

Expect some insane pieces from HT to come down the line soon. I'm sure some insane prices to go with it, but I would be far more comfortable placing POs on HT items than Sideshow. I really love Sideshow and I have really wanted to like a number of their pieces. Their 1:1 Salacious Crumb and PF Speeder Bike w/Scout I have are absolute second to none in quality. The human characters just don't hit the mark like how HT can reproduce. Seeing their attention to detail I think we can expect to see some absolutely beautiful offerings soon.

Finally, I highly doubt they're JUST NOW working on anything. They've probably had the license for a while under the radar and have been preparing Star Wars already and I wouldn't be surprised if there was a reveal on something to preview by Fall.

I agree with that. Plus, they probably want to get a decent amount of OT figures out before Episode VII comes out and they have to start cranking characters from that movie.

short version, they never had a liscense. they had a partnership wth Sideshow to create and release DX versions of existing sideshow figures.

They only ever made a Bespin Luke.

NOW, they've wrangled a license independent of sideshow. And should be able to more or less makew what they want, with minimal intervention.

I'd also wager we've seen the end of Medicom and enterbay SW.

I hope so. That Medicom Fett I bought was a damn disgrace. Shoulders crumbling. Braids falling off haha

Please please please let them do a new Indy too.

Wow, a lot to take in. I am primarily excited about this and really hope to upgrade some key characters. I've been pretty happy with customizing older Sideshow figures into better versions, but honestly there is only so much you can do with some of the material. To have a top notch ANH crew, Bespin Han and some others is a dream come true.

But on the other hand a bit worried about what to do with my current collection. I don't need doubles so I'll probably have to sell some stuff and I'll probably be lucky to break even. And of course HT will likely bump up their base price to $225 or more per figure which will be painful. On the flip, I'm sure they will still follow a relatively slow pace so I can't imagine seeing more than 4 figures per year from them.

Part of me would like that, but another part is ready to just buy the crap out of Star Wars again :lol

I will say I think it is highly unlikely HT will approach the breadth of the Sideshow line. So figures like the Gammorraean Guards, Hammerhead and Bossk should be safe. But I'd think imperial troopers (clone, storm, etc.) will likely get the HT treatment and Vader is a definite. Although honestly I can't see much room for improvement over what Sideshow did with the Deluxe aside from him being the correct height... but HT seems to always exceed what I even think is possible :lol

So now we know what's been going on behind the scenes.

As guessed by some, HT has been waiting for the license on their own.

And this explains why we're benefitting with so much goodness right now.

That was my first thought as well... now it finally makes sense why we haven't seen a follow-up to Luke.

I bet some people at SideShow are incredibly unhappy about this.

What are they without Star Wars? I presume they will continue to produce figures on their own, but there is no way they can compete with either quality or price given what we have seen in the last few months.

There must have been major battles been fought behind the scenes, which is why we only got one figure (Luke Bespin). I wonder will SS stop stocking HT at some point in near future? Why support the competition?

I think that for the most part HT will be releasing figures Sideshow has already done... so unless Sideshow is keen on re-releasing earlier figures (which they still have not done once) I imagine it will be a win-win for both of them. Both will make their own figures (I'll continue to buy both) and distribute for one another.

Medicom vs Sideshow was nothing.

And people whine about HT Marvel prices. Wait till the $300 bare bone Star Wars figures roll out. :lol

The price will likely be insane on these... but Luke was a great deal as long as you wanted two figures, so maybe we'll get lucky. But I doubt it :lol

I wonder if they will have anything at Comic Con? I hope so... :pray:

Doubtful... we'll be lucky to get a figure shown before the end of the year.

Its gonna be interesting to watch this all play out.

People at Sideshow are probably ****** their pants :lol

The Star Wars Wars have begun :rock :rock :rock

I think the war is already over :lol

I'll get a farm boy Luke and proper Han and Leia. Everything else I am fine with what I already have from Sideshow.

Same here, I don't need to rebuy Piett or a Tusken Raider and honestly I doubt HT will ever go that deep. I think they'll hit the main characters and that's it. I don't think we'd ever get a Dengar from them, but I think it's quite likely from Sideshow. So I'm hoping to continue buying from both for the foreseeable future.

I passed on Deluxe Sideshow Vader.... so I would love an HT Vader.

Face it, if you got the STAR WARS license, what is the one figure you would most want to make. Vader. I'm sure HT feels that way. And by the time they preview it, and then deliver, plenty of time will have passed from the Sideshow version and we'll watching the next installment.

Yeah, I'm sure Vader is high on their list. And unlike Sideshow they are probably ready to go with him rather than have to wait a few years for the license and company to mature. I still don't know how much better HT can do than the deluxe, but I'm sure they will not disappoint.

The 1/4 scale announcement is actually the more surprising thing about this for me. I was sure that HT was done after Batman and the Endoskeleton. We haven't heard a peep from them about 1/4 scale stuff in ages, though a couple years back they claimed we were getting Avengers, Predator, Terminator, etc.

LOL

The 1/4 is something I really don't care about... and I too figured they were done with it. Guess I'll just wait and see what comes of it.

Wish as much great work Hot Toys has done for Marvel movie figures, you know Disney was wanting the same for Star Wars.

Probably true... and I'm cool with that :rock

What was the last female SS Star Wars figure? Princess Leia in the impossible-to-shape dress?

Wasn't the Blue Jedi after Leia? But all of the female figures (with the exception of Boussh and kind of Asajj) were pretty weak.

Can somebody catch me up on the history of SW and HT?
I know they had a DX Luke at one point, yes?

Did they lose the property at some point?

They were able to produce Luke under Sideshow's license (like they did with Terminator, Godfather and some others over the years). But now it appears that HT has their own separate license now. So, now they can operate w/o the approval of Sideshow.

Before anyone gets too excited go take a long, hard look at your Ra's al Ghul figure.

:LOL very valid point. and remember, Han solo and Anakin from the PT are INSANELY popular in asia....

Prepare for 40+ variants of captian solo, Vader, and Anakin.

What this means to me most is that I'm probably never going to get a Walrusman.
Nah, don't give up. Seriously - I think SSC will get to him, & all this announcement means right now, is that there's one more option for SW figures.

All these speculative forecasts in here mean nothing unless you're an industry insider, so.. :huh

This is what happens when a company is small and is trying to earn a good rep, they put out quality products. The problem is now that their bigger and established a rep they have QC problems with the lines they have now, what happens when you add SW? Do you really think the quality will get better with more figures being produced? :dunno
All the more reason to be uber selective. :wink1:

I've never been a prolific consumer of these items - I just get what I REALLY like, & stay focused.

Works wonders. :)

Yep, HT does not usually go deep in a series... and sometimes even major characters (especially villains) never get released. I think Sideshow and Hot Toys will both be able to maintain the license and keep fans happy.

Couple of things, SSC has DC Comics and I have a feeling that sooner than later we'll see a Marvel Comics license from them announced too and that has more than enough to fill their time. I don't think that SSC is sweating too much really, not to mention that they're the official North American distributor of Hot Toys so there is cash to me made by simply being the middleman. Star Wars collectors are so manic that they'll happily buy and complain about the same figure from various companies no problem. SSC could come out with a new Jedi Luke and HT could come out with one and people would buy both even when complaining about one.

I might get the heads really, since the sculpts are all I'm really worried about. The only three HT figures I'd get without really worrying about having two is Jedi Luke, Vader and Boba Fett. Everything else I'd be happy with simply using loose HT parts to upgrade what I've already got.

Sideshow are currently Hot Toys official distributor in North America.
Don't be surprised if that changes. Who knows HT could finally go global on their own terms.

Back