Hot Toys - STAR WARS 1/6th & 1/4th Figures from Episode I-VII + New Interviews

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Toys - STAR WARS 1/6th & 1/4th Scale Figures from Episode I - VII Announcemen

Wow, with the Die Cast mark IIIView attachment 122230

Thought this was a typo at first. Wow, probably the single most overwhelmingly great news day ever. Star wars, TF, BTTF.... and now the diecast I was waiting on... just phenomenal in a kill my wallet sort of way. :lol

Re: Hot Toys - STAR WARS 1/6th & 1/4th Scale Figures from Episode I - VII Announcemen

Hopefully get the Count Dooku figure i've been hoping for now.

I really don't know about what, or if anything will be at SDCC. I knew it was happening, and from what I was told the Disney deal helped it along. As far as SSC is concerned, I am not totally sure how it is all working out with the license. The HT info I got came from Disney peeps.
Thanks, Jack. This sure is an interesting business when one considers all the backroom stuff. We need an insider to write a tell-all book, lol.

Yeah Jack, thanks for the insight.

Hot Toys has held a Star Wars license for years, Chan has been saying for a couple years now he was gunning for the Asian license, I think most knew it was just a matter of time.

Wow, with the Die Cast mark III, Marty McFly and this, it has been an Excellent week!!! Sideshow has been doing crappy human likenesses, even on some PFs and legendary scale. I mean, just look at the paintwork on this LF Kenobi. Looks like 80s airbrushing on the side of a van!
View attachment 122230
L-O-L!

nope. Hasbro still has EXCLUSIVE toy rights to all things Star wars, and action figure. Hasbro renewed their liscense earlier this year to extend it out through 2020. Even Sideshow's licenses is not with lucasfilm, it's a sub-license with hasbro. Hot toys has spent the past few years getting VERY friendly with hasbro. going so far as to become their official distributor for their products in the asian marketplace.

Pretty clear now that this was their endgame.
Hmm, interesting to consider. I didn't realize HT were working Hasbro this way. So probably no coincidence this announcement and the Prime figure are announced in the same day.

Sideshow is done with Star Wars after this announcement (IMO). The 1/4 scale line would fill the gap in my PF line beautifully if posed in a statuesque manner. Sideshow has been spotty with their releases, being a real rollercoaster in quality and likeness.

Hot Toys has an excellent track record of both quality and likeness, and if you compare them to Sideshow alone HT has them beat and especially in the 1/6th scale arena.

Expect some insane pieces from HT to come down the line soon. I'm sure some insane prices to go with it, but I would be far more comfortable placing POs on HT items than Sideshow. I really love Sideshow and I have really wanted to like a number of their pieces. Their 1:1 Salacious Crumb and PF Speeder Bike w/Scout I have are absolute second to none in quality. The human characters just don't hit the mark like how HT can reproduce. Seeing their attention to detail I think we can expect to see some absolutely beautiful offerings soon.

Finally, I highly doubt they're JUST NOW working on anything. They've probably had the license for a while under the radar and have been preparing Star Wars already and I wouldn't be surprised if there was a reveal on something to preview by Fall.
While I don't know if I would expect many products soon, using 1/4 scale to compete with SSC PFs is an interesting idea, and would help to explain why they would announce that after doing nothing with it for so long.

Before anyone gets too excited go take a long, hard look at your Ra's al Ghul figure.
My Iminime figure is a nice figure. . .doesn't seem to affect my excitement to be honest. . .

But of course, you're right. I think KD/Galactiboy and others are totally right in expecting HT to focus on surefire sellers like the main cast, Dark Maul, Boba Fett, etc. If you want random Cantina monsters, I wouldn't wait on HT. Or even major supplemental characters like Lando.

Yup. Don't like those. They look like muppets.
HT Muppets :drool

Muhahahha! An Iron Man in every house!
LOL Yeah. . .

SW and Transformers are global sellers, especially in the Asian market, Joe is not. Joe barely limps along in America, its safe to say they aren't interested in G I Joe.
:( American and the world are *******s, then.

Do we know for sure that SS hasn't lost the license?

Welp, there goes the SW section again.... :(
Dang, you not happy with the announcement, FLOSI? Thought you were a proponent of HT SW?

Do we know for sure that SS hasn't lost the license?
*whistles* That'd be a game changer, for sure. My bet is HT got Medicom's license, though.

More like P-O-S

:lol
Haha. Yep, Ben does look pretty weak. :(

Beautiful. Now I have to go pick up Bespin Luke.

:lol I have a feeling they'll redo it anyway.

Didn't Sideshow kinda do that with Medicom in the past? I feel like I might have read a response like that back when Sideshow would answer their Q&As on their website.

Not really, most of them were "You want Boba? We aren't making it now but here buy this Medicom one that we're distributing while you wait." It seemed more that SSC was using Medicom's releases to appease people begging for various figures but nothing really struck me as "We're doing this so you can't."

If HT actually has their own license not strung through SSC anymore then I have a feeling that it'll be SSC that'll moving things around to not get smashed by an HT release and not the other way around.

*whistles* that'd be a game changer, for sure. My bet is HT got Medicom's license, though.

That'd be interesting. If I remember correctly the Medicom license was "exclusive" to Asian markets. So theoretically HT would be in that same place and still have to distribute via an American license holder which would be Hasbro and by defacto SSC. It's just that they aren't using SSC's license to do it so then SSC would have no say in what they do.

HT having the license is a game changer. It hasn't sunk in with me yet what is possible.

I'm sure that will all change when I see an accurate likeness Harrison Ford from them.

I would just start saving $$$ now... ;)

Looking forward they making jedi luke and anakin epi3

HT having the license is a game changer. It hasn't sunk in with me yet what is possible.

"What's possible" is pretty much what we're already seeing from Sideshow. If HT got the license a few years back I'd go "ooh, now maybe we'll get Speeder Bikes, Droids, Grievous, etc." But SSC is already doing those things. All that leaves HT to do is perfect the same things SSC has already attempted (which as others have speculated will probably consist mostly of heavy hitters and fan favorite characters.)

Sideshow is just hastening stuff they've had in development for several years including the Speeder Bike and the Landspeeder. With Hot Toys we'll likely see a 1:6 X-Wing, TIE Fighter, Snowspeeder, AT-ST and who knows I wouldn't be surprised to see them do a 1:6 Millenium Falcon!

Back