Hot Toys - TF001 - THE TRANSFORMERS G1: Optimus Prime Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Toys - TF001 - THE TRANSFORMERS G1: Optimus Prime (Starscream Ver.) Spec + Pi

Can anyone tell me about Hot Toys in general? Do they scale their figures so that everyone isn't the same height? Would Bumblebee be the same size as Optimus if he's ever made? Could Grimlock be taller?

Thanks

Don't know, most likely all the figures will be the same height, IF hot toys makes something like a bumble bee i'm assuming he'll be the same size as optimus, BUT hot toys might scale the line. If I were to guess though hot toys wouldn't touch a character like bumble bee, they'll stick with the more stylized and cool looking characters. Optimus, Megatron, Starscream (seekers), Soundwave, Shockwave, Ironhide, Prowl, Bluestreak, sunstreaker, Sideswipe, and the Dinobots I'd say are good bets for the line. Mainly because they offer multiple characters with very little variety to the mold and they are all close in size to one another.

Re: Hot Toys - TF001 - THE TRANSFORMERS G1: Optimus Prime (Starscream Ver.) Spec + Pi

Don't know, most likely all the figures will be the same height, IF hot toys makes something like a bumble bee i'm assuming he'll be the same size as optimus, BUT hot toys might scale the line. If I were to guess though hot toys wouldn't touch a character like bumble bee, they'll stick with the more stylized and cool looking characters. Optimus, Megatron, Starscream (seekers), Soundwave, Shockwave, Ironhide, Prowl, Bluestreak, sunstreaker, Sideswipe, and the Dinobots I'd say are good bets for the line. Mainly because they offer multiple characters with very little variety to the mold and they are all close in size to one another.

maybe not though. They have characters from their other licenses like Guardians of the Galaxy

hot-toys-teases-guardians-of-the-galaxy-action-figures

and you can they are all various heights and builds.

My biggest concern is that they give us Optimus Prime and then stop. I wish they would have shown both Prime and Megatron.

Well, I'm sure they have to test the waters first.

TF, just like IM is a HUGE cash cow....

I'm sure you are right.. Hopefully this meets or exceeds their sales projections so that they will ramp up production on the other characters.

Re: Hot Toys - THE TRANSFORMERS G1: Optimus Prime (Starscream Version) (Spec + Pics)

Gotta say, I don't understand this product. I had imagined what could be possible if Hot Toys took on the Transformers license one day, but this is not what I had in mind. While the weathering paint apps are fantastic, the mold itself is actually less detailed and screen-accurate than Takara/Hasbro's Masterpiece Prime. And it doesn't transform. And it costs twice as much.

I think a better route would have been for Hot Toys to form a partnership with Takara-Tomy where-in they offer the same Masterpiece figures but with premium/weathered paint applications for a premium price. That way you'd get Hot Toys' incredible paintwork with Takara-Tomy's actual transforming figures, the result I imagine being something like this custom:

27280857d1329963420-mp-10-optimus-prime-full-repaint-pic-heavy-xtrepaint_mp10_optimus_f2012_12.jpg

Re: Hot Toys - THE TRANSFORMERS G1: Optimus Prime (Starscream Version) (Spec + Pics)

Gotta say, I don't understand this product. I had imagined what could be possible if Hot Toys took on the Transformers license one day, but this is not what I had in mind. While the weathering paint apps are fantastic, the mold itself is actually less detailed and screen-accurate than Takara/Hasbro's Masterpiece Prime. And it doesn't transform. And it costs twice as much.

I think a better route would have been for Hot Toys to form a partnership with Takara-Tomy where-in they offer the same Masterpiece figures but with premium/weathered paint applications for a premium price. That way you'd get Hot Toys' incredible paintwork with Takara-Tomy's actual transforming figures, the result I imagine being something like this custom:

View attachment 123630
Ho Lee Schitt.

That is beautiful.

That is a VERY nice custom paint job! I imagine that Hot Toys would stay away from transformable figures because 1) hard to avoid chipped paint 2) high risk of broken parts. Sure 99% of them would be user error but complaints would still pour in.

View attachment 123630

That would've easily jeopardized Takara Tommy's sales. As far as I know, they are the only ones doing Transformers that actually transform. You'll always have third parties doing knockoffs, but that's another issue. That don't care about making a prime that looks exactly like MP 10 as long as they name it differently, like "big ass red truck".

And when MP10 came out about 2-2-1/2 years ago, it retailed for $250.... $70 less than what this is (apparently) going to go for. Latest MP10 reissue was priced at $300.

A HT that would actually transform, while in MY mind, impossible to ever happen, would've easily been priced waaay out of most people's price range. An besides, a transformer figure takes waaaay more engineering than what HT actually does. It's not just a great looking vehicle, it actually has to transform while maintaining the aesthetics of the G1 show. Quite hard to accomplish IMO, hence the reason why TT takes forever to release a new MP, and their constant love for color variations.

All that R&D must be hella expensive.

That would've easily jeopardized Takara Tommy's sales. As far as I know, they are the only ones doing Transformers that actually transform. You'll always have third parties doing knockoffs, but that's another issue. That don't care about making a prime that looks exactly like MP 10 as long as they name it differently, like "big ass red truck".

And when MP10 came out about 2-2-1/2 years ago, it retailed for $250.... $70 less than what this is (apparently) going to go for. Latest MP10 reissue was priced at $300.
$250, huh? Well let's say $500 then for my imaginary Hot Toys Premium Paint Job Edition. And it wouldn't be jeopardizing Takara-Tomy's sales because its still their figure being sold - just with a $250 paint job from Hot Toys applied. Whether collector's opted for the standard Takara-Tomy edition or the Premium Paint by Hot Toys™ edition, Takara-Tomy gets their $250.

A HT that would actually transform, while in MY mind, impossible to ever happen, would've easily been priced waaay out of most people's price range. An besides, a transformer figure takes waaaay more engineering than what HT actually does. It's not just a great looking vehicle, it actually has to transform while maintaining the aesthetics of the G1 show. Quite hard to accomplish IMO, hence the reason why TT takes forever to release a new MP, and their constant love for color variations.

All that R&D must be hella expensive.
I would never dream of Hot Toys engineering a transforming toy on their own; they can barely pull off a standard figure without quality control issues coming out the wazoo. That's why I'm suggesting letting Takara-Tomy do what they do best - great-looking figures with fantastic engineering - and let Hot Toys do what they do best - incredibly realistic paint applications.

Anyhow, just a dream. But I think a partnership along those lines would have resulted in a better outcome for everyone involved.

TF001?

So what series are they calling this?

maybe not though. They have characters from their other licenses like Guardians of the Galaxy

hot-toys-teases-guardians-of-the-galaxy-action-figures

and you can they are all various heights and builds.

You have a very good point, my only thing is that this is after how many years of hot toys marvel figures that we are getting figures whose size varies. look how long it took them to do hulk and Iron Monger. IF the line is successful I think seeing characters of various sizes will happen, it just won't happen now. We might not see a Bumble Bee type character for 4-6 years. I could see them testing the waters with different sized characters in a Soundwave package, include rumble, ravage, and lazer beak and see how that does. Lots of things they could do with this line.

You have a very good point, my only thing is that this is after how many years of hot toys marvel figures that we are getting figures whose size varies. look how long it took them to do hulk and Iron Monger. IF the line is successful I think seeing characters of various sizes will happen, it just won't happen now. We might not see a Bumble Bee type character for 4-6 years. I could see them testing the waters with different sized characters in a Soundwave package, include rumble, ravage, and lazer beak and see how that does. Lots of things they could do with this line.
That just means we'll eventually get a a size appropriate Optimus and that just means wallet gouging

Sent from the Cockpit of the Millenium Falcon

That just means we'll eventually get a a size appropriate Optimus and that just means wallet gouging

IF they did a bigger one (Which I'd have no interest in personally) you could always sell off the first one for more than the new one would cost. I don't see hot toys doing anything bigger than a 12 inch figure though, they might do smaller figures but if they do an 18 inch figure it'll probably be Devastator. I see the main class of figures being 12 inchs tall, smaller being 6-8 inchs and a larger group being 18 inches (combiners and larger characters).

IF they did a bigger one (Which I'd have no interest in personally) you could always sell off the first one for more than the new one would cost. I don't see hot toys doing anything bigger than a 12 inch figure though, they might do smaller figures but if they do an 18 inch figure it'll probably be Devastator. I see the main class of figures being 12 inchs tall, smaller being 6-8 inchs and a larger group being 18 inches (combiners and larger characters).
When you put it that way it makes more sense. I'd love to see a Unicron for sure.
I thought abkut the size and 12 inches isn't so bad i suppose. It would help me collect more and not have to worry about spacing them. However to be honest i don't see myself getting more than 5 of them Lol well for now

Takara Tommy themselves haven't put out a Devastator yet.

I doubt they'll give HT the go ahead to do it first.

Takara Tommy themselves haven't put out a Devastator yet.

I doubt they'll give HT the go ahead to do it first.
HT has money man. They got Weller and NO one could get Weller

HT has money man. They got Weller and NO one could get Weller

I don't think they have Hasbro type of $$$.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending Takara. I'm all for innovation and craziness.

I'm a sucker for everything Transformers, I'll eat it all up... But if this was my license, I'll be very jealous about what I do with it and who (and how) I share it with....

A Devastator would no doubt be a complex beast, likely easier if it's just a statue of a figure without actual transforming limbs....

Can't wait for a MP of this guy!

Back