Media The Silent Hill series discussion thread.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Silent hill 3 is still my fav of the series.....not even close. The voice performance of Heather Morris was awesome. True fact: they listed her actual name on the back of the box, and not the character's last name

Also, I remember after seeing the original Silent hill 4 trailer, I was convinced it was gonna be even better! this trailer is still creepy:

Since I am thinking of it, the room from Silent hill the room is in downpour - a cool easter egg..

Silent hill 3 is still my fav of the series.....not even close. The voice performance of Heather Morris was awesome. True fact: they listed her actual name on the back of the box, and not the character's last name

Also, I remember after seeing the original Silent hill 4 trailer, I was convinced it was gonna be even better! this trailer is still creepy:

Since I am thinking of it, the room from Silent hill the room is in downpour - a cool easter egg..

The song in this trailer has remained one of my favorite Silent Hill related songs. It's so haunting.

Silent Hill 3 is my favorite in the series as well, and Silent Hill 2 comes as a close second. There's something about the acting, setting and characters that made it so compelling and replayable. I'm glad Heather wasn't another Maria clone I think she's easily the best protagonist in the series. She and Douglas felt like real people with real chemistry. Loved the plot twist on how the game linked with the first game as well.

I guess if I were to rank the games I've played, it would be:

7 Silent Hill Homecoming (Haven't beaten)
6 Silent Hill 4: The Room
5 Silent Hill Origins
4 Silent Hill Shattered Memories
3 Silent Hill
2 Silent Hill 2
1 Silent Hill 3

Last edited:
Kinda hope they do another game, but it seems with each passing title, Konami makes them on a smaller and smaller budget, so part of me is like, 'let it rest.'

The voice performance of Heather Morris was awesome. True fact: they listed her actual name on the back of the box, and not the character's last name

Team Silent did that on purpose because they wanted to keep Heather's true identity a secret until the game comes out, (the character, not the actress) and they were so impressed with the actress's performance that they renamed her Heather Morris for some while.

Remember to tag if you wanna delve into spoilers though. :lol

Kinda hope they do another game, but it seems with each passing title, Konami makes them on a smaller and smaller budget, so part of me is like, 'let it rest.'

I wouldn't mind if Konami retired the series now that there are ZERO personnel left from Team Silent. Let them milk their precious Metal Gear all they want. :lol

Huh really? I won't lie, SH2 moved me to TEARS. SH3, while fun, barely touched me at all (save for *ahem* that point when you found out about Heather's dad). I don't know, I guess I just really absorbed the sheer undiluted and punishing atmosphere of SH2, and I felt every bit of the game design had a lot of careful thought put into it (the mundane street traveling, the cleverly mind-boggling labyrinth, the thoughtful way that the last segments that the Lakeside Hotel would lead you to the final route as water slowly floods the edges of the ceiling/walls) whereas SH3 felt more like a carnival-esque horror ride which, while I did enjoy going through, didn't resonate with me as much.

That's just me of course, and it should be said that while I love SH1, I never cared for most of the titles that featured the Order as part of the plot (thematically it felt just plain cheesy B-grade horror to me at some points, even in SH1 and SH3). Admittedly, SH2 IS one of the only few games I consider as art, so that kinda says a lot about how I felt towards SH2.

Team Silent did that on purpose because they wanted to keep Heather's true identity a secret until the game comes out, (the character, not the actress) and they were so impressed with the actress's performance that they renamed her Heather Morris for some while.

Remember to tag if you wanna delve into spoilers though. :lol

I wouldn't mind if Konami retired the series now that there are ZERO personnel left from Team Silent. Let them milk their precious Metal Gear all they want. :lol

Ah, good to know on the Morris thing - had no idea. And yeah her real name guys is Heather Phead!! Oh, sorry, SPOILERS!!!! ;)

Just beat Downpour; reloaded my save so that I got two of the endings. Sure, there were a few graphical glitches, but overall I thought it was a great game.

Silent hill 3 on PC looks better than Homecoming, minus those modern fx.

Graphically, it seems rough at times, awesome looking at others. Overall, Homecoming is the more polished game though

Silent hill 3 on PC looks better than Homecoming, minus those modern fx.

I don't know why, but Silent Hill 3's graphics doesn't seem to age. Homecoming has nothing on SH3. :lol

SH3:

HeatherSunset.png

backdrop1.jpg

Silent_Hill_Cancer.jpg

188046.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Homecoming:

silent-hill-homecoming_346403.jpg

silent_hill_6-1196748.jpg

ElleAlex.png

Silent_Hill_Homecoming_9.jpg

All of this reminds me of the PS2 era Survival Horror, those where great games.

SH3, RE4 and Haunting Ground are the games I remember the most, great games.

I remember getting this in SH3:

tumblr_mzgm990ASr1rlpfkwo5_250.gif

:rotfl

there was a lot of replay value in that game. I didn't play any other SH after SH4 ... it seems it was a good decision

Last edited:
Coz they had 4096x4096 sprite resolution. It slows down even modern GPUs. everything is drawn, no motion capture gimmicks & they had really small team.

in your config file:
[Main]
FOV=85
wFOV=120

in your save folder disp file:
format=D3DFMT_A8R8G8B8
gamma_b=1.000000
gamma_g=1.000000
gamma_r=1.000000
lensflare_ztest=0
mode=fullscreen
resolution=4096x4096
shadow=0
size=1920x1080

this should max everything out with 16:9 fov.

Forgot to mention you should get SH3FOV hacks then run SH3FOV before game start, press numpad * to enable FOV settings.

16:10
Width Field of View (FOV): 0.91
Height Field of View (FOV): 1.1

16:9
Width Field of View (FOV): 0.85
Height Field of View (FOV): 1.2

I don't know why, but Silent Hill 3's graphics doesn't seem to age. Homecoming has nothing on SH3. :lol

SH3:

HeatherSunset.png

Coz they had 4096x4096 sprite resolution. It slows down even modern GPUs. everything is drawn, no motion capture gimmicks & they had really small team.

in your config file:
[Main]
FOV=85
wFOV=120

in your save folder disp file:
format=D3DFMT_A8R8G8B8
gamma_b=1.000000
gamma_g=1.000000
gamma_r=1.000000
lensflare_ztest=0
mode=fullscreen
resolution=4096x4096
shadow=0
size=1920x1080

this should max everything out with 16:9 fov.

Forgot to mention you should get SH3FOV hacks then run SH3FOV before game start, press numpad * to enable FOV settings.

16:10
Width Field of View (FOV): 0.91
Height Field of View (FOV): 1.1

16:9
Width Field of View (FOV): 0.85
Height Field of View (FOV): 1.2

Yup. That's the mot accurate configuration and FOV values. Though my PC can't handle those rendering resolutions, not even half of it. :lol

Even at half the rendering resolution I can't have 60fps without screen tear, this game is designed with V-Synch on at all time or you'll get really bad tearing. Oh well, poor joes like me should settle for 30fps 720p. :lol

Silent Hill 2 & 3 had a wicked soundtrack too

I could even stomach SH4, unfortunately SH1 has not aged well :lol

Silent Hill 2 & 3 had a wicked soundtrack too

I could even stomach SH4, unfortunately SH1 has not aged well :lol

Oh don't even start! Even when the series was declining, it was still worth it for Yamoka's music. I suggest getting all the soundtrack albums for all the games, it's that good. :yess:

What's your gripe with SH4, Frank? :lol

Oh don't even start! Even when the series was declining, it was still worth it for Yamoka's music. I suggest getting all the soundtrack albums for all the games, it's that good. :yess:

What's your gripe with SH4, Frank? :lol

Not so much a gripe, more so it followed from SH2-3 to 4, it was still the same gameplay and things but i didn't really like the whole room idea going in and out of the dimensions that way. Didn't seem as fluid as the rest but there were some good areas and aspects within the game.

While i was playing it, i didn't have the same feelings as the previous, other than the anticipation of course

I have soundtracks up to SH4

had me reminiscing on the soundtracks this afternoon. The artwork for the Japanese SH4 OST was very good

sh4_ost_jp_01_front.jpg

there is no vsync on SH3, even when you force it via the video card program it still won't vsync and in the 1st sequence in the cafe you will see major screentear. i had to use double or was it triple vsync just to reduce the tear, but it cuts half the fps, what i believe is that it didn't really have any vsync, just that putting double/triple vsync slows the whole thing down so much it actually reduced the tear.

anyway i believe the PS2 version had 30fps or less. 30fps is actually quite playable. many people playing max out games at 20fps or less.

Yup. That's the mot accurate configuration and FOV values. Though my PC can't handle those rendering resolutions, not even half of it. :lol

Even at half the rendering resolution I can't have 60fps without screen tear, this game is designed with V-Synch on at all time or you'll get really bad tearing. Oh well, poor joes like me should settle for 30fps 720p. :lol

i hate SH4 because it's so creepy & scary. SH2 is like wandering in a haunted town, SH3 is like a action horror survival when you fight you way out, SH4 is like i don't know, ghost?

Not so much a gripe, more so it followed from SH2-3 to 4, it was still the same gameplay and things but i didn't really like the whole room idea going in and out of the dimensions that way. Didn't seem as fluid as the rest but there were some good areas and aspects within the game.

While i was playing it, i didn't have the same feelings as the previous, other than the anticipation of course

I have soundtracks up to SH4

Back