Sideshow 1/6 C-3PO

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I get what you mean about the oxygen things since they look more pronounced on the McQuarrie version, but I still think they'll end up using it. It's a nod to the originals and it just looks damn cool:

I'm not sure if I've come across the Inquisitor sketch. Link?

Didn't the masks have twin oxygen tubes, like divers, that's what I remember most.

EDIT: It was Luke that I'm thinking of. Not the Stormies. Just checked.

Lots of pictures of the Inquisitor. Great voice (Jason's always good).

https://www.google.com/search?q=star+wars+inquisitor&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=YSHZU7dn4qyMAraVgPgG&sqi=2&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg&biw=1161&bih=968

Ah! The Inquisitor is a Sith! I thought it was a ship for some reason. Yeah, okay I guess I have seen that. I wouldn't worry too much about his design since it's for the TV show. I'm sure the movies will be their own thing. Besides, designs for a cartoon are usually more stylized and simpler for practical reasons. I'm sure whatever they do for the movie will be better.

I always get confused with Sith. There are always two... but sometimes three. A Master, an apprentice... and some third guy hired by the apprentice; an apprentice's apprentice. Why isn't the master worried about such hiring practices?

I always get confused with Sith. There are always two... but sometimes three. A Master, an apprentice... and some third guy hired by the apprentice; an apprentice's apprentice. Why isn't the master worried about such hiring practices?

:rotfl Just like middle management--they have to have an assistant so they feel more important than they are!

Also, you'd think after thousands of years of Sith Lords being betrayed by their protoge, they'd catch on! I mean, it's part of their defining characteristics!

Sorry to be the bearer of this news (since my last post got people very excited). I was very much incorrect in interpreting what I saw of C-3PO before SDCC and as such the info I posted about his pistons was incorrect. I reconnected with sixth scale team to get more info and to let y'all know that his pistons will indeed slide up and down in grooves on his arms in order to allow movement. Telescoping is simply not possible on the figure due to the materials C3PO's pistons are made out of and that telescoping would cause pistons to fall into pieces if people were to straighten out the arms too far.

Sorry y'all for the misinformation earlier. I hope this new information will be helpful in understanding how C-3POs arm movements will work on the piece though.

-SideshowAlex

Sorry to be the bearer of this news (since my last post got people very excited). I was very much incorrect in interpreting what I saw of C-3PO before SDCC and as such the info I posted about his pistons was incorrect. I reconnected with sixth scale team to get more info and to let y'all know that his pistons will indeed slide up and down in grooves on his arms in order to allow movement. Telescoping is simply not possible on the figure due to the materials C3PO's pistons are made out of and that telescoping would cause pistons to fall into pieces if people were to straighten out the arms too far.

Sorry y'all for the misinformation earlier. I hope this new information will be helpful in understanding how C-3POs arm movements will work on the piece though.

-SideshowAlex

Thanks for the correction. That was why I was asking for clarity -- didn't look like those pistons could actually telescope. Good to know how they will ultimately work. And its good to know that they will have some articulation.

Point goes back to Tamashii.

Last edited:
Thanks for clarifying Alex!

And really, I think it was a good compromise for Sideshow. It will still have the same amount of articulation, but will have the properly scaled pistons.

At this point of time any news about 3PO is good news to me:lol

I believe I have seen sufficient images to be convinced that I will enjoy admiring the figure on my shelf.

If price is right, I might get a second piece.

-SideshowAlex

That's it....SS has lied to me for the last time....NO MORE FIGURES!!!!!!! :cuss

Hey Alex, any idea when 3PO will go up for PO? :monkey1

I hear the new sound system is to die for, the new kitchen is the center of the party and the new crown/cornice moldings really make everything pop.

Chewbacca and a few buddies are replacing all the window glazing next weekend. Come by for a few beers and some blue milk. We're throwing some Bantha on the BBQ.
:lol :lol :lol :goodpost:

I knew there was no way they could get polystone pistons to telescope at that scale.
:lecture :lol

So.. sounds like one better be careful when moving those arms, or - SNAP! :lol

That technical solution they went with looks quite good. Not really noticeable watching from a distance when on display.

:lol PP is obviously joking, but he's got the general idea. Sure there will probably be upgrades and fixes, but nothing as extreme as the "new" X-Wing which is a totally different model. So maybe R2 will get his rockets back, maybe Threepio will get the silver leg replaced, and the falcon might get some new panels on it or a slightly different paintjob, but nothing that will significantly change them. I think JJ knows those things are iconic to the trilogy and won't change them too much--just slight cosmetic changes.

That was my point though. There will be some cosmetic changes, the extent of which is unknown, but no matter how small those changes are, a HT Ep VII droid set won't please OT purists or those wanting an OT representation.

So we're talking about potential figures from a company that has not announced anything and of characters that have not yet been seen while at the same time speculating as to how accurate they'll be and how well they'll be built? Gotcha. Let me shuffle my calendar around I need to move this to the top of my list of priorities. I've got JJ on the phone now. ;)

Honestly, I wouldn't hold my breath for HT to produce droids, IF they'll even produce droids, until at least 2017 (preview in 2016 at the earliest).

And I should hope that R2 and 3PO look exactly the same as they did in the OT with the exception of, as Lu said, weathering. It would be a significant faux-pas for the filmmakers to do otherwise.

I'd only give Hot Toys a 50/50 shot of doing any better than SSC on droids anyway.

Your time table's way off. HT preview of a key figure from VII will be 3 months before the film opens. There will be plenty of images of such character by then. I'm certain HT will do a 3PO at some point too but not likely one of the firsts... unless of course there is no significant change to the droids -- which there shouldn't be -- then they may be one of the initial previews because there's no spoiler associated.

This is Disney now. There's no secrets with Disney.

Nothing to do about when the movies will premiere or images shown. Sideshow just announced a 3PO, it's at least a year away, possibly more. Hot Toys will not have the same figure scheduled for the same time. That's bad business for everyone and I would be very surprised if it's not under the control of the licensor - and thereby restricted. I included 2016/2017 because they'd be a good minimum timeframe for such an announcement. Just like the time periods between past 3PO figures leading up to this latest one.

Hot Toys also produce many less figures than Sideshow, so I wouldn't count on them going balls to the wall with a sudden and prolific release schedule. It's not something they've done for any other license, and those licenses will also continue to be expanded at the same time. Plus don't forget the very under-served market: 1/4 scale. It'll be interesting to see if they give it any love. These would surely be significantly differentiated from Sideshow's offering of 1/4 clothed statues.

Back