Sideshow 1/6 C-3PO

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe the original Grievous was just the parts assembled, but none of the articulation had been figured out for him. Even if that's the case with C-3PO I imagine he's much less of a nightmare than Grievous and as Pixel said they won't want too much of a gap between R2 and C-3PO.

Maybe not 3 years, but definitely not within the next year, which is a darn shame.

However, the fact that it is an early proto does mean that there's a chance for them to fix certain things like his chin and his thunder thighs.

And just a thought, just that they are showing an early proto, doesn't mean it's the most updated thing they have. They may be further along in the process but not able to share it.

With Grievous I believe they thought they had the articulation figured out and then scraped it and went back to the drawing board, may of had something to do with the manufacturing process not going to work with what they had in mind originally? I think it took them a long time to figure it out (went with extra set of arms option?) and that was responsible for most of the delay.

And just a thought, just that they are showing an early proto, doesn't mean it's the most updated thing they have. They may be further along in the process but not able to share it.

Good point.

I wonder if 3po will have another head sculpt it would be cool with a voice box since he was a chatter bug.

I went to the SW collectibles panel and the only things they mentioned for sure were that he would have light up eyes and that he would be the tarnished version like from the beginning of ANH on Tatooine but before the oil bath at Luke's...

I like him from the waist up, his knees seemed to be really big and thick and the thighs/hips area bit bulky too but I thought the head/face looked good and the arms looked ok too. He had pretty limited articulation in the movies as well with really stiff arm movements and a very shuffling walk so I don't think figure articulation issues should be anywhere near as complicated as Greivous... the General's arms/hands were quite tricky and in the combined arm pose those sliding metal rods in there must have taken a few "breaks" before they opted for that...

R2 was really cool at the panel, they had him out and demonstrated the motion sensitive lights, swipe once he lights up, swipe twice and his projector kicks in. They did not show or talk about any accessories or exclusives for 3PO so I hope they figure out some good stuff because R2 comes with a ton of stuff.

motion sensitive lights, swipe once he lights up, swipe twice and his projector kicks in.

That's awesome!

They did not show or talk about any accessories or exclusives for 3PO so I hope they figure out some good stuff because R2 comes with a ton of stuff.

Maybe he'll come with a properly scaled R2 unit. :)

Having to put your hand very close to R2 to turn things on is a neat party trick, but from a practicality standpoint it's not terribly great. A remote is much more useful for collectors who will have this guy on a shelf. Hopefully resetting power will cause him to come back to the previous lighting mode, then I can add my own remote (simple RF or bluetooth).

Last edited:
c747d064_tumblr_lzhlrfTcyi1qzswpl.gif

Having Tamashii's version, i could live a couple more years without this one so it turns out as good as possible.

I don't think the telescoping pistons are even necessary. I mentioned before that the Tamashii both telescopes and rides up and down on the rails. But sometimes it does either one or the other. Having both is practically overkill.

Basically, I think Sideshow would be smart to forego the telescoping pistons in order to achieve a smaller piston sculpt, and just have them riding up and down in the rails. You would get the same amount of articulation. I think that's how the proto shown at SDCC was. Maybe they're planning on having the pistons telescope and that's what Alex was passing along, but from the pictures it looks like the pistons are fixed. Which would be fine.

As far as you can see from the closer pics, there's no way those pistons telescope. Not to say SSC aren't working on some telescoping pistons for the final version though.

But it's true; are telescoping pistons really necessary - the "over here" and "wait for me" poses are the only straight-ish arm poses he does and most would pose him in his standard pose.

I'm ok with the finish.

But if Medicom can chrome it, so can Sideshow.

The finish does look really good in some photos, less than good in others (reminds me of that 3 3/4" Hasbro "Ultra" 3PO that came with the escape pod.)

I think chromed with good weathering over it would have looked amazing, but for whatever reason SSC rarely does it (the Ark of the Covenant was an obvious one to chrome, but they didn't.) As always, it's all up in the air until the in-hand pics are in - like the PF droids.

I hope this isn't the next Grievous... seen at SDCC in 2011, delivered in 2014. That would mean we'd have our droid pair finally sometime in 2017.... after the HT release of same.

Maybe not 3 years, but definitely not within the next year, which is a darn shame. However, the fact that it is an early proto does mean that there's a chance for them to fix certain things like his chin and his thunder thighs.

Having Tamashii's version, i could live a couple more years without this one so it turns out as good as possible.

Tamashii has won this in one way - Jan 2013 beats mid-late 2015... nearly three years of 3PO goodness in the ol' Detolf is maybe worth a premium (especially if 3PO is delayed like Greivous with the "early development" comment.) No one's getting any younger...

Can't believe SSC had the license nearly 10 years before they got to 3PO and R2 (and Biker, and Luke X-Wing, and...) But it's been worth it to get the 25-30 clone troopers SSC has released in that same time.:wink1:

Or you end up like me and just get both..... they got me cornered when it comes to trilogy releases.

I'm sure i'll end up getting this 3PO. If not for its alternate mat paint app, at least for a spare display option.

Back