Sideshow 1/6 C-3PO

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If they're back in the movie 1/6th business then I hope we see product.

Obviously I have no idea what's going to happen, I would just be surprised to see it go down like you were suggesting. The Beetlejuice and Evil Dead II were teased only with placards in the 1/6th display, so we don't even know what's coming at all other than it will be 1/6.

They showed brand new Iron Man movie_specific product as well, even though not 1/6 - stuff that won't compete with Hot Toys.

Let the good times roll!

If you look at the Sideshow figure the arms are closed as far as they will go, but they should be able to open from that point.

Did 3PO ever bend his arms more than that in any of the movies? ;) I don't recall his arm ever being perfectly straight either - so even if it was at some point, the fact I don't recall it is good - for this figure. ;)

Obviously I have no idea what's going to happen, I would just be surprised to see it go down like you were suggesting

Wait, how what's going to go down? I've lost track if we're discussing Sideshow's backing away from 1/6th movie lines (IMHO, not necessarily correct) or if we're back to my assumption that HT will open the flood gates on Star Wars.

This, yes.

Oh, OK. Well, yeah, its my assumption. Short and sweet: empty the 1/6th pipeline and move on to other things. Now that's not to say SS won't have an interest in other formats as you brought up. But maybe after 10 years, SS is just done with 1/6th SW. Short of Cheiwe, they now have just about everyone (of significance) covered.... ahem, Tarkin... oh well... there's always someone left out. But really, other than the clones that they could do forever, why bother? Expend no energy and take a distribution fee.

As far as the expanded version of that comment -- that SS is backing away from all 1/6th movie lines... well, clearly not. But a one-off Beetlejuice or Godzilla isn't a line. If they produce all the figures you mentioned, and then another 10 this year, its still less than the amount of just the Star Wars 1/6th they were producing at one time let alone the other true "lines" like Indy, LOTR, Terminator, etc.

Maybe that's where they are headed; just making key figures and characters and backing away from "lines".

Last edited:
You could follow that train of thought all the way to the station. ;) Sideshow distribute a lot of brands and they could expand their selection while eliminating their own in-house efforts surely. But that doesn't seem to be what they're about, so I can't see that happening.

Ok, I've been waiting for some paint to dry and now I have to get back to it, so I won't be able to rifle off replies in quick succession again. ;)

I just took out the Tamashii to see what it has going on. It has a full range of motion on the arms... The arms can close as far as the piston will allow, and it will open as far as you could possibly want it. The combination of the slides and the piston make it so there is no strain on the piston at all. The range of motion on the Sideshow version will be more restricted, but I think there is absolutely reason for concern about breakage. We will have to be extremely careful.

If you look at the Sideshow figure the arms are closed as far as they will go, but they should be able to open from that point.

yeah, Tamashii is about 90 degrees of motion, the SSC will be about 30 degrees.

Did 3PO ever bend his arms more than that in any of the movies? ;) I don't recall his arm ever being perfectly straight either - so even if it was at some point, the fact I don't recall it is good - for this figure. ;)

"Over here!" (sandcrawler) and "Wait for me!" (Hoth evac) are two moments that immediately come to mind, but SSC has designed the arms to be right in the middle of the range, so instead of 0 degrees to 90 degrees like the Tamashii, you will have maybe 30 degrees to 60 degrees, so it's a good range.

I think the larger concern is how durable it will be - tiny plastic pins pushing the piston. Anyone who has really handled the SSC IG-88 knows it feels a bit delicate and 3PO's joint is going to require very delicate handling (i.e. helping the piston slide with your fingers, not just bending the arm.)

I didn't even think you were being snarky. I hope I didn't come off as snarky. Eeep.

-SideshowAlex

Sorry Alex, that polystone quip was just me being a smartazz. Clearly everybody in this thread is really happy with all the effort you've gone to in taking pics and answering questions as best you can with the info' you have to hand. Without your input we'd all still be wondering about a lot of details that many here consider important, so... :bow :duff

Sorry Alex, that polystone quip was just me being a smartazz.

:thwak

:)

Lejuan said:
Clearly everybody in this thread is really happy with all the effort you've gone to in taking pics and answering questions as best you can with the info' you have to hand. Without your input we'd all still be wondering about a lot of details that many here consider important, so... :bow :duff

:goodpost:

Sorry Alex, that polystone quip was just me being a smartazz. Clearly everybody in this thread is really happy with all the effort you've gone to in taking pics and answering questions as best you can with the info' you have to hand. Without your input we'd all still be wondering about a lot of details that many here consider important, so... :bow :duff

Oh, come on - Hot Toys is also always answering direct questions in forums and even providing follow-up answers and correcting any misinformation about their releases, in addition to great customer service...:lol

But seriously... this is one of the key things that sets Sideshow apart as a company, and huge thanks to SideshowAlex.:clap

Oh, come on - Hot Toys is also always answering direct questions in forums and even providing follow-up answers and correcting any misinformation about their releases, in addition to great customer service...:lol

da28f3eeda24581e2a265f37efd2de04cffcd31ce62046d3ace83b15500290ed.jpg

:)

but I don't think they have the appetite to continue in development of a whole new trilogy.

Really?

And that's it right there. They won't have carte-blanche to produce what they want - they'll have to share and it wouldn't even surprise me in the least if Sideshow has first right of refusal. But who knows.

We don't know.

Back