Sideshow 1/6 C-3PO

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Even the dome width, when compared to movie stills, is higher & narrower. :huh

It's not if you grab the frontal image on Sideshow's site. The photos from SDCC are shot from above and introduce distortion in that respect, as you can see the top of the dome.

2172-product-silo1.png

I feel like I'm stuck in the middle of two opposing sides here. One it's properly scaled, and two, it's totally off. It's in the middle folks. Properly proportioned but out of scale with their 3PO.

And back-replying: yes both the PF and Koto show a better match in scale. While the difference is not obscene like with the Medi pair, it is nonetheless night and day to me.

But this is academic, not whining. They're both on my "to purchase" list anyway.

Last edited:
I don't think the pistons themselves actually slide or pump -- which is why SS has been so vague about explaining it -- but I do think the whole pistons slides along the rails along the arm.

I also believe there will be a lot of breaking from anxious users.

This. I can already see the posts now about numerous pistons coming broken in package or breaking very easily by eager freakazoids. :lecture

There are rails along his forearm in which it could slide if the piston itself doesn't telescope.

Ah, I see it now... thanks :duff But of course again too late as we know it telescopes... but I'm sure it's likely that the slide will also be present.

As for scale, I can see what Pixel's saying... R2 in and of himself is looking good, but if you put him next to C-3PO he's a tad small.

It's funny though that Sideshow seemed to nail the scale on the PF, but then didn't quite get it for the 1/6. Oh well, still close enough.

I feel like I'm stuck in the middle of two opposing sides here. One it's properly scaled, and two, it's totally off. It's in the middle folks. Properly proportioned but out of scale with their 3PO.

So it all hangs on Threepio.

In the video posted by Puay, Mike Tolentino reports:

Mike Tolentino said:
..our Threepio, still in development, but we wanted to show this for sure because you can't have an Artoo without a Threepio. He's in very early development...

Artoo, from his complexity at this stage, is very likely the finished product, but Threepio not nearly so complete. At the moment we might regard him as an 'advanced placeholder'.

I don't think the telescoping pistons are even necessary. I mentioned before that the Tamashii both telescopes and rides up and down on the rails. But sometimes it does either one or the other. Having both is practically overkill.

Basically, I think Sideshow would be smart to forego the telescoping pistons in order to achieve a smaller piston sculpt, and just have them riding up and down in the rails. You would get the same amount of articulation. I think that's how the proto shown at SDCC was. Maybe they're planning on having the pistons telescope and that's what Alex was passing along, but from the pictures it looks like the pistons are fixed. Which would be fine.

So it all hangs on Threepio.

In the video posted by Puay, Mike Tolentino reports:

Artoo, from his complexity at this stage, is very likely the finished product, but Threepio not nearly so complete. At the moment we might regard him as an 'advanced placeholder'.

Not the final product you say?
Will the complaining stop now?
I'm guessing...no!
LULZ!

I hope this isn't the next Grievous... seen at SDCC in 2011, delivered in 2014.

That would mean we'd have our droid pair finally sometime in 2017.... after the HT release of same.

Can't see that happening with R2 coming this year and new movie (in which both characters are featured) next year.

But they said, like with Grievous, it was a very early prototype. Took a long time to production. And Grievous really changed very little so I don't know what the hang time was for.

As much as people think 3PO will change drastically, I'd use Grievous as an indication that even after 3 additional years, not much changed other than the eye make-up.

Maybe not 3 years, but definitely not within the next year, which is a darn shame.

However, the fact that it is an early proto does mean that there's a chance for them to fix certain things like his chin and his thunder thighs.

Back