XM Studios Magneto

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lawrence does have a point, but is it a valid one? I mean the digital sculpt has a light source coming from the right (when facing statue), which bounces off his helm, bridge of nose, & keeps his eyes in shadow, which gives him a much more intense/menacing look. The proto sculpt is shown in intense lighting, giving him a washed out look(?). If we want to go further, compare the shadows within the waves of his hair. The digital version seems way more detailed/shaded, But this can be strictly due to the lighting used to showcase proto. To really get a feel for the actual sculpt, the digital lighting has to some how be replicated to the real statue! I'm sure that there will be a vast improvement with perception once the actual sculpt is displayed in a "normal" setting, where natural shadows will provide magical effects, & an infinite number of viewing angles/options.
If you can't see the difference in the emotion of the unmasked portrait simply by looking at the pics, maybe try messing around with the digital pic (for me it was easier to wash out the shadows on the digital pic, rather than try to add shadows to the production pic) in photoshop or something if you can. Lighten up only the shaded eye area on the digital sculpt. It still won't give off the same feeling as the actual printed & painted sculpt.

It's obvious the digital is more detailed, but I'm not expecting it to look as detailed as that, but I did want it to keep it's emotion.
Agreed. Also, the pic he posted is very close up in your face. As I don't plan on trying to make out with my Mags statue, a little distance would've been a better comparison.

4msRSsf.jpg

10394501_1401159633438065_8235357877992269770_n.jpg
That's a better comparison pic, but the pic I chose was to also help get my point across about the irises. I understand peeps aren't planning to sit at kissing distance from their statues to enjoy them, but the details you see up close can help one appreciate their statue even more.

I think MadXcollector 's Mags is the best HS and can never be beaten - it's like he jumped off the comic book.

This statue is a 9 out of 10 for me but the extra 10 would be the texturing and paint on the heads. I think you can probably fix this yourself though.

The umasked head is missing the upturn/smirk on the left side of the mouth. It's on the digital render but absent from the proto and suppressing some intensity in the expression. I still like it.

That being said I still think the expression conveys plenty of emotion. He looks determined and controlled. ..like I got this and I will do what I have to.

I can see it now after catching up on the last couple pages. The paint does give the portrait a slightly different look. The expression has changed a bit. I see what you guys mean by saying its a depressed or distant look. I think that could easily be fixed by reworking the mouth a bit. Personally the eyes look piercing to me. I like the portrait regardless but I will admit a bit of tweaking could make this a lot better. As for the helmeted portrait I think the touch up they did look great. I'd have to see the helmet made slightly smaller to really make up my mind. I'm buying it regardless but I can actually see where some of you are coming from now

I went ahead and downloaded, I mean bought :wave, a copy of photoshop. I'm clearly no expert but since no one has made any attempt at photoshopping this (to my knowledge), I used my lack of editing skills to kind of bring to life what a lot of people are asking for.

2rw6dmt.jpg

I reduced that lipped edge on the back of the helmet as that looked kind of weird on the shorter helmet. I'm going to try and work on the unmasked head though that may be a little tougher than a simple cut/resize.

Damn MagnumOpus, looks like you posted right as I was posting mine lol. Looks great!

I went ahead and downloaded, I mean bought :wave, a copy of photoshop. I'm clearly no expert but since no one has made any attempt at photoshopping this (to my knowledge), I used my lack of editing skills to kind of bring to life what a lot of people are asking for.

2rw6dmt.jpg

I reduced that lipped edge on the back of the helmet as that looked kind of weird on the shorter helmet. I'm going to try and work on the unmasked head though that may be a little tougher than a simple cut/resize.

The one on the right looks perfect, great job. Hopefully XM can make the tweak.

2rw6dmt.jpg

I reduced that lipped edge on the back of the helmet as that looked kind of weird on the shorter helmet.
yup, that's perfect on the right...great job

here's hoping the guys at XM are still watching

Huge improvement. I agree with those that the unmasked portrait needs some more shading/detailing. The sculpt is spot on, just lost the anger in his eyes after the paint job. I didn't care for the helmet version but with the photoshopped pictures, I can see there is room for improvement as well.

Thank you XM for listening to us collectors and allowing us in on the creative process. To be honest, I'd still order this if no further changes were made but the digital sculpt spoiled some us with the potential it can be. Please continue to bear with us and produce perfection for the rest of us.

This is definitely how I will be displaying him.

10435005_1401159866771375_6946436061164885835_n.jpg

Back