Iron Man Mark II Maquette by Sideshow Collectibles

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Preach on DFanatic :lecture Still, the apologists are going to order anyway and SSC will continue not to give a ****.

Compare the film screen shot to the statue pic above it, it really isn't even close. The amount of black paint I see on the statue is obscene, there's almost no sign of that on the suit on film.

If Xm tackles this suit I wonder if they'd go for a more chrome look? If they did it would be an easy day one pre order.

Right on man! I guarantee you that sideshow didn't even attempt... DIDN'T EVEN ATTEMPT to paint this properly. Most companies will try a plethora of paint types, shades and coats until they get it just right. This looks like the used whatever was left from the 1:1 Mark II bust. "Meh, good enough".

You had to post that picture :slap
If there was another option I would explore it but atm if we want a MKII, this is it.

I will never understand why ppl shell out lots of money for just ok pieces just cause they love the character . Ss won't be getting my money and this is one of my favs. I'm actually giving up on all 1/4 IM because of this one. This piece could've really started a 1/4 army , but now I'm getting rid of what I already have. Thanks SS for saving me some money :wave

You had to post that picture :slap
If there was another option I would explore it but atm if we want a MKII, this is it.

Just be patient. XM will probably get to it. I don't even PO anymore SS stuff now. I just wait until it's in hand.

Right on man! I guarantee you that sideshow didn't even attempt... DIDN'T EVEN ATTEMPT to paint this properly. Most companies will try a plethora of paint types, shades and coats until they get it just right. This looks like the used whatever was left from the 1:1 Mark II bust. "Meh, good enough".

The paint job does look rushed, but that could also be partially due to the dpfaxt this was barely teased a month ago, and it wasn't finished then. Also, and I know I have said this over and over, but IF SSC knows they can't get a proper chromed paint job done on a massive scale, and I have heard they can be very tricky to do right when their are complicated parts, then they are better off to show use what they can do. Honestly, if this is what they can produce on a production piece then they are SMART to show it. SSC has been showing people one thing on the proto and then giving people something different on the production pieces, but they seem to be showing things that may be closer to the production pieces (I.e. Obi Wan LSF seems to have a production piece up for order). Again I would have like to see a closer paint job to the movie, but at the same time if they can't pull that off in production then they shouldn't show it

Agreed, how many years back was that Mk 2 bust done? They haven't even tried to improve upon it.

I will never understand why ppl shell out lots of money for just ok pieces just cause they love the character . Ss won't be getting my money and this is one of my favs. I'm actually giving up on all 1/4 IM because of this one. This piece could've really started a 1/4 army , but now I'm getting rid of what I already have. Thanks SS for saving me some money :wave

Completely agree, sadly the sheep will buy anything they stamp with a SSC label on it.

The paint job does look rushed, but that could also be partially due to the dpfaxt this was barely teased a month ago, and it wasn't finished then. Also, and I know I have said this over and over, but IF SSC knows they can't get a proper chromed paint job done on a massive scale, and I have heard they can be very tricky to do right when their are complicated parts, then they are better off to show use what they can do. Honestly, if this is what they can produce on a production piece then they are SMART to show it. SSC has been showing people one thing on the proto and then giving people something different on the production pieces, but they seem to be showing things that may be closer to the production pieces (I.e. Obi Wan LSF seems to have a production piece up for order). Again I would have like to see a closer paint job to the movie, but at the same time if they can't pull that off in production then they shouldn't show it

There's nothing smart about this piece whatsoever. Don't they work hand in hand with Legacy on these? There's literally no reason they cannot come close to replicating the finish of the Mk 2 suit at this point in time. NONE. This is supposed to be Sideshow, the best collectibles company around, right? I'm sick of reading the excuses people make for them on a daily basis for shoddy products, it has to end.

There's nothing smart about this piece whatsoever. Don't they work hand in hand with Legacy on these? There's literally no reason they cannot come close to replicating the finish of the Mk 2 suit at this point in time. NONE. This is supposed to be Sideshow, the best collectibles company around, right? I'm sick of reading the excuses people make for them on a daily basis for shoddy products, it has to end.

You are totally within your right to feel that way. I just see it differently as I would prefer that we see prototypes that can be reproduced. Also, and I mean no disrespect, but are you a painter. I only ask because you state that there is no reason they cannot com close to replicating the finish on the Mk2, and I am just wondering how you know that for sure??? Yes I do get it that it is possible, the recasters proved it, BUT that is on a much smaller scale in terms of the number of pieces compared to what SSC will be producing. Now, I do get that you are disappointed, and again you are totally within your rights to feel that way, but I just see it differently in terms of production numbers and reproduce ability. It is one of the major differences between what XM can do and what SSC can do. I know XM has produced 500 amazing looking statues, BUT over the same time SSC has released 1000s. The more your numbers go up the more you have to consider how you are going to reproduce it. I will also say that SSC isn't always great at the whole reproduction thing, and I would rather they show us something they CAN do, not a wish and a prayer so to speak. Again just different perspectives, and I respect that you have high standards, and I am glad that you have other alternatives to make yourself happy now.

I'm sick of reading you complaining :lol
We get it, you don't like it or Sideshow. Plenty of XM threads for you to visit :wave

Then put me on ignore b/c I'm not going anywhere or are you going to cry to me via PM again? :lol

When Sideshow puts out a solid product I have no problem saying it, when they don't I have no problem saying it either.

Do what you're going to do but stop calling collectors 'sheep' & 'apologists'.
We are also able to make our own choices.

I PMd you after you pursued me around the boards.

Do what you're going to do but stop calling collectors 'sheep' & 'apologists'.
We are also able to make our own choices.

I PMd you after you pursued me around the boards.

I'll do what I'm going to do, thanks! And I'll continue to call you a sheep and apologist for buying pieces like that Thor you had and couldn't even stand to look at like you've admitted repeatedly.

You are totally within your right to feel that way. I just see it differently as I would prefer that we see prototypes that can be reproduced. Also, and I mean no disrespect, but are you a painter. I only ask because you state that there is no reason they cannot com close to replicating the finish on the Mk2, and I am just wondering how you know that for sure??? Yes I do get it that it is possible, the recasters proved it, BUT that is on a much smaller scale in terms of the number of pieces compared to what SSC will be producing. Now, I do get that you are disappointed, and again you are totally within your rights to feel that way, but I just see it differently in terms of production numbers and reproduce ability. It is one of the major differences between what XM can do and what SSC can do. I know XM has produced 500 amazing looking statues, BUT over the same time SSC has released 1000s. The more your numbers go up the more you have to consider how you are going to reproduce it. I will also say that SSC isn't always great at the whole reproduction thing, and I would rather they show us something they CAN do, not a wish and a prayer so to speak. Again just different perspectives, and I respect that you have high standards, and I am glad that you have other alternatives to make yourself happy now.

You answered your own question Spidey - recasters proved as well as other companies who have done Mk 2 products in a ll scales that recreating a collectible of this suit can be done world's better than what we're seeing from Sideshow. If you're trying to sell me the fact that we should accept crappy production pieces, for higher retail prices which are made cheaper now than they ever have been (ie- hollow shells) because Sideshow has decided to raise the ES of a piece from 2,000 to 4,000 in a week like they have on the Mk 42, then I apologize but I'm not buying it.

Last edited:
Then put me on ignore b/c I'm not going anywhere or are you going to cry to me via PM again? :lol

When Sideshow puts out a solid product I have no problem saying it, when they don't I have no problem saying it either.

LOL.... I guess the point is, and Coll hasn't learned this lesson himself, sometimes it is also nice for those who enjoy a piece to be allowed to enjoy it with out Negative Nancey's going on and on about it. However, and I will say this, it has been proven as of late that, sometimes complaints make their way to the appropriate ears at SSC to instigate change. It happened with the Superman EX eyes. So who knows.

LOL.... I guess the point is, and Coll hasn't learned this lesson himself, sometimes it is also nice for those who enjoy a piece to be allowed to enjoy it with out Negative Nancey's going on and on about it. However, and I will say this, it has been proven as of late that, sometimes complaints make their way to the appropriate ears at SSC to instigate change. It happened with the Superman EX eyes. So who knows.

I agree with this, and I intentionally have not harped on the same aspect repeatedly for that exact reason whereas Col will just post about a poor portrait in the IS Hulk dio thread 15 times with nothing else to say.

that screen shot has made me change my mind on this. I will be passing and wait for xm studios to do it right.

It's really not that hard to make a statue have a chrome paint look. Gloss black undercoat, then chrome paint over the top. Easy. But Sideshow won't do it...

I'll do what I'm going to do, thanks! And I'll continue to call you a sheep and apologist for buying pieces like that Thor you had and couldn't even stand to look at like you've admitted repeatedly.

You answered your own question Spidey - recasters proved as well as other companies who have done Mk 2 products in a ll scales that recreating a collectible of this suit can be done world's better than what we're seeing from Sdieshow. If you're trying to sell me the fact that we should accept crappy production pieces, for higher retail prices which are made cheaper now than they ever have been (ie- hollow shells) because Sideshow has decided to raise the ES of a piece from 2,000 to 4,000 in a week like they have on the Mk 42, then I apologize but I'm not buying it.

You don't need to apologize, but what you want to buy, but you don't need to hammer on others for liking what they like. Kind of the same as people who like to hammer on the cost of XM pieces. Just like what you like, and let others do the same is all I am saying.

You don't need to apologize, but hat you want to buy, but you don't need to hammer on others for liking what they like. Kind of the same as people who like to hammer on the cost of XM pieces. Just like what you like, and let others do the same is all I am saying.

I don't believe I did hammer on you for liking this, I just disagreed that this is the best they can do like you stated earlier.

I do hammer on Col because he often likes to bark up the wrong tree. :wink1:

I agree with this, and I intentionally have not harped on the same aspect repeatedly for that exact reason whereas Col will just post about a poor portrait in the IS Hulk dio thread 15 times with nothing else to say.

I intentionally stay out of threads that I don't like the piece now a days. I will make a comment, and then try to step aside so that people can enjoy what they want. The need to be "right" so to speak is not more important than someones right to enjoy their purchase.

It's really not that hard to make a statue have a chrome paint look. Gloss black undercoat, then chrome paint over the top. Easy. But Sideshow won't do it...

How well will that kind of paint job hold up?? I am not being an *******. I am just curious as I have seen some bad chrome paint jobs.

Made one comment about the IS Hulk and you jumped on me.

Liar.

WhWZwKc.gif

I intentionally stay out of threads that I don't like the piece now a days. I will make a comment, and then try to step aside so that people can enjoy what they want. The need to be "right" so to speak is not more important than someones right to enjoy their purchase.

Fair enough.

Back