DOFP or CA:TWS

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DOFP or TWS

• X-Men: Days of Future Past

Votes: 37 37.8%
  • Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Votes: 61 62.2%

• Total voters
I wholeheartedly agree. While I do have my favorite scenes at no point in the movie am I ever just "waiting to get to the next part." No filler, no boring parts, even the scenes where people are basically just walking around or talking are engrossing to me. Steve confronting Fury in his office, their elevator ride, Steve chatting with Pierce after Fury's "death," Steve and Widow at the Apple Store or on the run in the SUV. I love it all.

One of the rare action movies that is captivating no matter what is going on.

:exactly: This. Voted for Cap!

I've always been a huge X Men fan and it was great film, not just a great superhero film. TWS had some of the best action scenes of any Superhero film, but I'm just not a big Capt fan, plus some of the plot-holes were a little annoying. I also think DOFP had better acting and a better story.

After eventually seeing TWS and letting it settle I decided to vote for

DOFP.
g9da1d806.gif

I haven't seen either movie yet, but I voted DOFP.

Any movie that can be good after all the terrible movies before it, is a job well done! TWS had good movies to build on.

I saw DOFP tonight, and after this, my vote goes to DOFP. Pretty sure this is my favorite X-movie now, and X2 was previously at the very top of my list of comic movies. I think Winter Soldier did what it set out to do very well, but they were very different kinds of movies, of course, and so it comes down to personal taste. And X-Men appeals to me as a more conventional comic story, also a much grander one, one that fixes a lot of the junk in the franchise that needed fixing and sets the franchise on a potentially very positive course, and does it while referencing a story from Claremont and Byrne, who were responsible for my favorite comic run in existence. Also, the onslaught of great acting in this movie--Fassbender, Jackman, McAvoy, Dinklage, even Jennifer Lawrence here. Cap had decent dramatic performances, but nothing like X-Men IMO. Not that that was ever a real strength or focus of Marvel Studios anyway.

Pretty much sums up why I prefer it over Cap. I thought Cap was good, but only for a Marvel film. I still rank Iron Man 1 higher, but it did restore the interest I once had in Marvel's shared universe.

-DOFP isn't just a great superhero flick, but a great time travel movie as well.

-The action services the plot, I never felt Singer just threw in any action for the heck of it.

- The performances rank right up there with the Nolan trilogy as the best I've seen in a superhero movie.

- Took the best things from Singer's X-Men, and Vaughn's X-Men to make a fun, stylish, character driven film.

- Kinda reboots the series leaving Singer to do pretty much anything he wants, while keeping the incredible cast from both timelines.

- Quicksilver was perfect. Can't wait to see him return in Apocalypse.

Unlike The Avengers, I was at the edge of my seat the whole time because the X-Men actually had a formidable foe, the stakes were high. I will say this though, if it weren't for The Avengers, DOFP probably would have never been made.

Singer is probably the most talented director working on a comic book property right now, like Professor X, hope has been restored back into the series. 2016 is going to be long wait with Apocalypse and BvS releasing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also really found myself enjoying Quicksilver. I thought it might be kind of cheesy, but it worked really well. Another thing that worked well was the tension. In comic movies, you know at the end that the good guys will win, so it's not always easy to effectively build tension, but it worked here IMO, with the switch back and forth with the 70s and future Sentinels at the climax. And on both of those fronts, you have to credit the director and editor (and I'm sure Singer played a significant role editing). Is he the best director doing comic films now? Maybe. Nolan was a better filmmaker IMO, but of course he's out. I think the Russos have potential, but you can't go on much with a sample size of one. I think Whedon is overrated, and Snyder is extremely limited. So maybe he is just because I don't know if any really great directors are doing comic stuff right now.

I was making my case for X-Men before, but that doesn't detract from how good Winter Soldier was to me. It had a goal of creating an effective, suspenseful political story with great action and spectacle, and it succeeded on those levels. I totally can get why someone would prefer this to X-Men, as I think it does some things much better than X-Men does, notably the action (the opening scene, the scene with Fury's SUV, the elevator scene, the scene on the bridge, the fight at the end. . .), which makes sense when the great action really does seem to be one of the priority goals of the film. But my personal preference is for the kind of movie Singer put together. Costumes didn't even bother me while I was actually watching it. Nor did other quibbles about whether the story was derivative in some ways. Because right from the beginning, the movie sucked me in and kept me there.

It's a tough decision deciding between the two, but I had to go with DOFP. It just felt grander, more epic. I really felt like the future of humanity was at stake. I agree with what Kara and Pturtle have been saying about it, especially about it being a great time travel movie on top of it all. I can't wait to watch it again when it comes out on Blu, but it looks like I may indeed have to wait since they plan on releasing an extended cut next year. Gotta love double dipping! :mad:

That's not to take anything away from WS, which I also thought was great. In fact (and I've said this many times before here on this forum), I liked it so much that it makes me dislike Cap:FA even more than I already did because it showed me everything that was wrong with the first and how the character and movie should have been approached in the first place.

Creature has a point, X3, Wolverine origin, and The Wolverine (it wasn't great)...they were bad :dunno

Those films were so bad, Singer literally went back in time to correct the mistakes of the past to save the future of the franchise. :lecture

The Wolverine was good, the end was cheap but the rest solid. Agreed about Origins and X3 but overall before DOFP it was around 4/6 which is pretty good.

TWS is a very good film. I just preferred X-men a little more. The Jackman Wolverine, even comic inaccurate as he is, is too cool. As was Fassneto and so many scenes in the movie. Some of it was also emotionally impactful in ways that I didn't quite get from TWS.

So, is this the straw that will break the camel's back?

Loved both, but for pure sentimentality, I voted for Days of Future Past.
When the comic came out, I was 11 years old. I didn't quite understand all that I read in that book till I re-read it somewhere in my early 20's. Took my son to see it in the theater and had a father/son bonding with this flick. I read it; he got to see it on film for the first time. Pretty neat, eh? Well, it was to me. :)

Back