Sideshow 1/6 R2-D2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man, R2 is looking great. I hope its in scale with Tama, cuz I really dont feel like buying another Threepio. Of course that's under the assumption that SSCs is in scale together.

Looks better than I expected. Waiting for more floor photos and videos before I preorder.

You would think they'd build the duo in scale with each other. Of course, seeing is believing.

From a business standpoint, there's a chance they deliberately built R2 not to scale with the Tamashii 3PO. You would have to buy their 3PO if you wanted that. Now, if that were true, it would mean Sideshow's 3PO is not as "perfect" as Tamashii's.

The Tamashii Threepio is in scale with all the other SW figures, so the only way Sideshow would deliberately make R2 out of scale with the Tamashii Threepio is if it was out of scale with everything and everybody else. Which yes, is still a possibility. But I don't think Sideshow would do that on purpose just to stick it to Tamashii.

I don't know if you knew, but the Tamashii was really it for Sideshow at the time. Sideshow's logo is all over the Tamashii Threepio box. It was truly a partnered project. It's only a little later that Tamashii got ambitious (greedy?) and said they wanted to release R2 on their own and not as a joint venture with Sideshow.

I hadn't really followed the Tamashii story... so is that what happened. They wanted to venture out on their own and got shut down?

Interesting.

The above is speculative and has no base in reality. :lecture

Yup, it's the "rumor" but the real story is likely never to be known here on the boards. Maybe the kibosh was laid down by a third party, like the licensor or Hasbro. But I'm sure we're all glad that Tama proto R2 never saw the light of day as a release - because the only thing we can be certain of is that they were not going to make brand new molds for a final figure. You don't build a prototype show-piece at a completely different scale than your final is going to be.

Last year at NYCC I spoke to a Bandai rep and he told me that the hold up with R2 was because they wanted to see if they could release R2 on their own and not with Sideshow.

I guess they wanted to do the same thing HT did. Who knows, maybe they really did succeed with getting a very specific license for die cast figures only...

Last year at NYCC I spoke to a Bandai rep and he told me that the hold up with R2 was because they wanted to see if they could release R2 on their own and not with Sideshow.

That could have been total speculation from that rep, so I'd take it with a grain of salt. I would think that anyone who actually knew anything concrete would be smart enough not to talk about it to the public. This stuff is usually all NDA-covered until official announcements.

My desire to get R2 and C3PO are declining with reveals such as Batman Returns, BD Robo cop, (new head) Ripley and not shown BD T 800.

I guess when it comes down to it I am attracted to “human likeness”……oh well

Well its pretty easy for me. Its been one helluva SDCC and I'm genuinely happy for all the people that are getting some of those much anticipated figures, but R2 is the only one of the lot I'm getting. AND he's the cheapest. I've been employing extreme discipline( and its only going to get even more narrow) when it comes to these figures nowadays. The prices are making it fairly easy too.

Last edited:
Well its pretty easy for me. Its been one helical SDCC and I'm genuinely happy for all the people that are getting some of those much anticipated figures, but R2 is the only one of the lot I'm getting. AND he's the cheapest. I've been employing extreme discipline( and its only going to get even more narrow) when it comes to these figures nowadays. The prices are making it fairly easy too.

Have you seen the new The Fiend figure?

Photo from The Josh.

14756706523_05d425fe32_b.jpg

this makes me glad i pre-ordered him and heck he is already distressed so no work needed so yea! I probably won't use the tray that will stay in box.

Can't wait to put this next to XW Luke with a nice pic of the X Wing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just thought I'd post this quote from Waller in the 3PO thread:

Some info from the Star Wars Collectors Panel at SDCC - courtesy of Rebelscum.

Sideshow Collectibles followed. Matt Bischof showing off some of the terrific sixth-scale line:

- Echo and Fives Arc Clone troopers
- Scout trooper and Speeder Bike
- R2-D2 (with dome-lightsaber, touch-sensor lights, sail barge serving tray, and more)
- C-3PO (weathered in all ABS plastic for a pre-oil bath look)
- X-Wing Luke Pilot
- TIE Fighter Pilot

Touch sensor lights? Does that mean like the lamps, you tap R2's head to turn the lights on? That's pretty cool.

Well its pretty easy for me. Its been one helluva SDCC and I'm genuinely happy for all the people that are getting some of those much anticipated figures, but R2 is the only one of the lot I'm getting. AND he's the cheapest. I've been employing extreme discipline( and its only going to get even more narrow) when it comes to these figures nowadays. The prices are making it fairly easy too.

Best SDCC ever IMO. Up until this week the only SS figure I had was a Sandtrooper. I've now got a Snowtrooper on the way, have pre-ordered R2, will pre-order Biker Scout, Pilot Luke and Tie pilot, and am watching an IG-88 and Bossk on eBay. Its got me back in the game!!

Touch sensor lights? Does that mean like the lamps, you tap R2's head to turn the lights on? That's pretty cool.

That's how the Premium Format works for Artoo as well.

That's how the Premium Format works for Artoo as well.
Is Sideshow calling that button on the top of the R2D2 PF dome a "touch sensor"? To me, that's just a standard button that you have to depress to turn the lights on/off.

In this case with the 1/6 R2 figure, I understood touch sensor to mean the type of switch where you can simply swipe your finger along a metal surface to turn the lights on/off. That's a very cheap and cost effective system by the way.

Either way, it's not a big deal. There's so many locations to hide a standard on/off button on this R2 figure.

Back