Cable TV vs. Internet streaming devices

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Solidus

Super Freak
Reaction score
With the ongoing price gouging from the cable companies, have any of you decided to cut your cable services and replace it with something else? Also, what are your thoughts on Internet streaming devices like Roku, Chromecast, and Amazon Fire TV?

My TWC cable bill (with triple play) came up to a whopping $170 this month :monkey4. But, after much talking and begging to customer service, they gave me a reduction for one year (with a new monthly bill of $130 when taxes and other fees are included) - so, crisis averted. I'm still considering one of these streaming players, though. Cable TV feels like such a rip-off at times. Although, if I ever unsubscribed, I guess I'd miss the NBA and tennis games as well as local channels and DVR.

We gave up cable a couple months ago. There are a handful of shows we're missing, but I don't regret it at all. I get Netflix, Amazon Prime, and WWE Network, which gives me most everything I need to waste an hour or two at the end of the day.

In L.A. we must have things pretty good because our bill was around $110 a month with internet. I say was because that still seemed a bit much so we cut the cord and are doing the Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime thing. We have to Airplay CBS shows and Hannibal via the AppleTV but we seem to get almost everything except FXX and Letterman. But we still get some channels through the cord (not sure why but cool) so we watch Mad Men, FX and MSNBC like it was the 90s.

You can do it pretty easily unless you want sports, otherwise there's not much options there. But considering Netflix+Hulu is less than $20 a month and that gets most of the TV shows it's hard to justify paying for cable.

Cancel Comcast Television Service to stream shows on the internet instead.

Hello Comcast? I'm canceling my tv service.

Take that Comcast!

Hello Comcast? I need some internet so I can stream... :(

We also still get HD versions of the network channels, Fox, and PBS despite not paying for any channels. We still get internet with the cable company, so maybe they can't completely cut off the channels with that signal or something. Our bill prior to cutting cable was around $90 (very basic package, with a cheaper negotiated rate), after jacking it up about $15 at the beginning of the year. That was the last straw.

Oh man, compared to me, you guys are having some really "cheap" rates on your cable packages (not that those are prices are great by any means, either) :lol. I have basic cable, with the slowest of Internet speeds, and a land line. I have no need for a home phone (never did), so I told customer service a few days ago that I'd like to drop it and keep my cable and Internet package, instead. But, they informed me that I'd be charged the same amount if I dropped my phone and it would have no effect on my bill :slap.

Time Warner has a serious monopoly in NYC, and the only other option if you don't want to go with them is Verizon. But, their Fios packages aren't affordable by any means.

I use Hulu all the time for watching Korean dramas and old Japanese cartoons like Astroboy and Black Jack. But, I think I might take out Hulu Plus later on and give it a try.

We also still get HD versions of the network channels, Fox, and PBS despite not paying for any channels. We still get internet with the cable company, so maybe they can't completely cut off the channels with that signal or something. Our bill prior to cutting cable was around $90 (very basic package, with a cheaper negotiated rate), after jacking it up about $15 at the beginning of the year. That was the last straw.

That's neat. Are you using an HD antenna for the network channels?

Here's something funny. I downloaded the Cartoon Network app for my iPhone, just to watch some episodes of Regular Show. But, apparently Time Warner Cable isn't supported amongst the list of miscellaneous Internet services. It's very ironic considering that Cartoon Network's site has a huge disclaimer that says, "A Time Warner Company" :lol :slap.

Here's something funny. I downloaded the Cartoon Network app for my iPhone, just to watch some episodes of Regular Show. But, apparently Time Warner Cable isn't supported amongst the list of miscellaneous Internet services. It's very ironic considering that Cartoon Network's site has a huge disclaimer that says, "A Time Warner Company" :lol :slap.

That's crazy! :lol

By the way, Regular Show rules! :rock :hi5:

That's crazy! :lol

By the way, Regular Show rules! :rock :hi5:

It sure does! :hi5:. Adventure Time, too. I seriously have to get one of those Mordecai and The Rigby's T shirts :lol.

No, it comes through the coaxial cable.

For some reason, no signals ever come through for me, when I try to use the cable as an antenna.

Amazon worked out a deal with HBO for Prime streaming the other day

Thanks for the heads-up. It's too bad Game of Thrones wasn't listed on the available shows. I hope it comes soon.

Not sure if this is applicable to anyone else of course, but it is on dedicated HD channels on the TV, and not the traditional numbered channels.

Amazon worked out a deal with HBO for Prime streaming the other day
Hmm, I have Amazon Prime, so hopefully we'll get some current stuff! But, I doubt it. Otherwise, some folks lose the incentive of signing up for cable at all. That's supposedly the reason HBO hasn't offered their stuff on demand sooner. Most likely there will be a lag of a season or two.

I just read some of the details. No Game of Thrones, no True Detective, and only older Boardwalk Empire. Oh, well. At least I can finally watch Big Love.

Hmm, I have Amazon Prime, so hopefully we'll get some current stuff! But, I doubt it. Otherwise, some folks lose the incentive of signing up for cable at all. That's supposedly the reason HBO hasn't offered their stuff on demand sooner. Most likely there will be a lag of a season or two.

I just read some of the details. No Game of Thrones, no True Detective, and only older Boardwalk Empire. Oh, well. At least I can finally watch Big Love.

It's better than nothing...I have Prime too

That's true, but you know the first thing most folks hearing that news would have on their mind is--"Game of Thrones???? Please please please please please!"

Back