Statue BiB Spiderman Comi Buyer Issue

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Partgreek

Freaked Out
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm pretty new here so if this is not where this thread go would the mods please move it?

Okay, so straight to the point. I was going to purchase a BiB Spidey comi on EBay through the best offer. The seller then said that he could do a better price through PayPal. Being aware of fraud I sent the payment as a contract and not as a gift and the agreement was that he would charge me shipping on top of the selling price. So he ships the product through UPS and I received it yesterday. The box looked a little ratty but not anything out of the ordinary considering the age of the piece. I brought it in a room to open it and heard a rattle. The first "Oh crap" moment hit me. I then proceed to cut the tape over the brown shipper. The lid for the 4-color box was not closed and just left sitting over the lip of the box, I opened that and the Styrofoam was not taped. Second "Oh, crap" moment. I opened the Styrofoam and the piece was thankfully still a single 'piece' with no breaks, but to my shock there was water on the back of the torso and the bottom of the base. I carefully wiped of the statue with a downy rag and saw water damage/spots on Spiders Traps and down the rivlets of his back. Also upon inspection there were numerous scratch marks and paint chips both of Spidey and one on the base. I first texted the seller the numerous pictures showing the damage and also the water spots and rubbed off paint in the Styrofoam from the water. The outer boxes were not wet so maybe this was put into the package wet? Also on the EBay page the item says displayed for a few days and then kept in storage. The piece had dust on it like it had been displayed for years and had never been touched. So there was a red flag. I contacted a painter that I know of on one of the boards and he said for a full statue repaint it would cost me around $175. I then contacted the seller and filed an incident with PayPal requesting a $175 refund for the price of repainting the statue which I assumed would be fair. Today I finally recieve some texts from him and he says that he is willing to do half of the $175 but he is not going to refund the full $175. He then went on to say that I got a "good deal" and should be happy that I only paid $550 + shipping because there is one on EBay asking for $1,000...That made me laugh. I told him of the Styrofoam not being sealed for shipping and he is claiming that he offered me a more expensive option of being delivered sooner and double boxed and I declined because of the cost. I told him that another box wouldn't have done anything because the inner Styrofoam was still not sealed and that is the culprit of this problem. Since then I asked him if he could talk with UPS and see if they will partially refund the money and I can use that for my refund for the insurance and he is saying that he won't call them and he will give me the tracking and I would have to call his UPS store to resolve this issue myself. That seems so sketchy to me. Do you guys feel like I've been unreasonable and am asking too much? This is one of my dream pieces so it is stressing me a little bit but so far I have been completely civil. I can provide pics if that will help.

Thanks for the help!!

Here are the pictures.

IMAG0237.jpgIMAG0232.jpgIMAG0235.jpgIMAG0236.jpgIMAG0238.jpgIMAG0239.jpgIMAG0223.jpgIMAG0241.jpgIMAG0240.jpg

I think it was shady that the seller asked you to go through paypal instead of ebay as you would have been covered by E bay's policy's otherwise and he probably knew this. This guy is probably going to flake on you. If I were you, I would assume the worst, expect no assistance by him and if you do get anything back, I would consider that a bonus. I learned this lesson long ago, only purchase through methods that ensure your protection, otherwise expect a loss. You could report his correspondence persuading you to go thru Paypal with Ebay. I also thing since you did not purchase this as a gift, you can file a grievance with Paypal, as well as your credit card company. I would get started on both asap and if you decide to keep the statue, i'm sure in the hands of the right person this thing will look, good as new.

I think it was shady that the seller asked you to go through paypal instead of ebay as you would have been covered by E bay's policy's otherwise and he probably knew this. This guy is probably going to flake on you. If I were you, I would assume the worst, expect no assistance by him and if you do get anything back, I would consider that a bonus. I learned this lesson long ago, only purchase through methods that ensure your protection, otherwise expect a loss. You could report his correspondence persuading you to go thru Paypal with Ebay. I also thing since you did not purchase this as a gift, you can file a grievance with Paypal, as well as your credit card company. I would get started on both asap and if you decide to keep the statue, i'm sure in the hands of the right person this thing will look, good as new.

I thought that since it was not gifted there would be the same buyer protection? I could push a claim with PayPal and see what they rule. I was going to give the guy one more day to work it out then push a claim for the $175.

Sent from a long time ago in a galaxy far far away.

Dude, PM me I was about to buy this same statue. And he said he had a buyer which I assume was you and today he text messages me saying he wants to sell it to me for $500 shipped to me , this could be the work of a scammer.
pm me and let me know his number and I'll let you know if it's the same guy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought that since it was not gifted there would be the same buyer protection? I could push a claim with PayPal and see what they rule. I was going to give the guy one more day to work it out then push a claim for the $175.

I would assume the worst and ask paypal for full refund. You can call in to paypal customer service. Then you should ship it back and atleast get your money back.

Make sure you tell them he said he won't deal with shipping company.

Well good news, after I had requested a claim of $175 for damages I was talking with this guy and he wouldn't work with me. I then called PayPal and escalated my claim for receiving the full amount I had paid. They contacted him and he then was willing to offer me the $175 after I had them on his back. So I took the money and will get this bad boy patched up right. I'll pm you acastro.

Definitely contact paypal. Explain the issue, provide your proof and tell them what you're asking. At worst the refund the full amount and ask send it back, at best they provide you the $175 to get the piece repainted. I believe they still carry a 45day protection for buyers

Poor shady seller, it worked out well then... congrats on Spidey.

Well good news, after I had requested a claim of $175 for damages I was talking with this guy and he wouldn't work with me. I then called PayPal and escalated my claim for receiving the full amount I had paid. They contacted him and he then was willing to offer me the $175 after I had them on his back. So I took the money and will get this bad boy patched up right. I'll pm you acastro.

:clap :clap

Congrats man! Hey fellow freaks beware of that seller!

He tried pulling a fast one on me too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad that everything worked out for you Matt. Going Paypal protected sure was a wise decision! :clap

Is this the same guy from Ebay that I'd pointed out to you? The one with 0 feedback??

You're lucky.
I've purchased through PayPal before, outside eBay, and when I had an issue with the item I received PayPal told me they only guaranteed I received the item and if it was defective in any way there was nothing they could do. They only dealt with issues if I went through eBay.
This was a couple of years ago, maybe their policy has changed?

Last edited:
The eBay seller id is dav2130.trnmn9yrz . He has 2 feedback.

Congrats on getting it worked out, these things can be such a hassle at times.

If possible, think you could post pictures of the Spidey BiB after it's finished being worked on? I like seeing before and after results on statues, many times they come back looking better than factory new.

Sure Skull,
I'll post some pictures, although mine won't be that good. :)

No, I didn't end up purchasing through EBay.

Back