Statue Popculture Shock Legend Lord of Darkness Statue

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2i1yxdj.jpg

2lt3gpv.jpg

Last edited:
Hmmm. Not 100% sold on it. Reminds me a lot of the SOTA Darkness, proportions and sculpt seem off.

Photos aren't great though, so I'll reserve judgement till I see better pictures.

From what I can see, all the costuming smokes Sideshow's PF. Looks fantastic from the waist down.

Hmmm. Not 100% sold on it. Reminds me a lot of the SOTA Darkness, proportions and sculpt seem off.

Photos aren't great though, so I'll reserve judgement till I see better pictures.

From what I can see, all the costuming smokes Sideshow's PF. Looks fantastic from the waist down.

I'm with you buddy :exactly: think it's something to do with the face portrait as opposed to the pose. Think he looks a little too animated/cartoony if that makes sense...would have liked a more menacing portrait...but the mixed media blows Sideshows out the water :)

Unfortunately these days of several hundred dollars for a single piece, I gotta be 110% sold on before I drop $500+. As it stands now, I'll be sticking with Sideshow.

I think "animated" is a fitting way to describe it. SO close, but not quite there.

I think the black in his guyliner, lips, and nostrils is too strong. It stands out way too much and gives the paintjob a cheap feel. Also, flash photography isn't going to do this guy justice. The shadows created by the ridges and muscles are what create perceived variations in color. Without those shadows, the whole thing is just washed out in red.

Case in point, this shot is much more flattering.

Something closer but with only the light from the room itself would be great to see.

Yea, I see what you mean by the effect of lighting and i do prefer how Darkness looks in that pic. We'll see what changes Jerry will make, if any? As of now I'm not totally sold on this although the sheer size of it alone will probably tempt me in the end :drool

Much better, but yeah, the black used in the eyeliner and lips is way too much. A dark shade of red might've been better.

As for why it looks off... maybe the eyes? Most of the high-end Darkness collectibles we've seen have his lids relaxed a bit, almost like he's gazing suggestively. Here they look wide open and that, combined with the stiffness of the pose, gives him a less laid-back vibe. The body language and the expression of the eyes just don't reflect the character, but I can't find any issues with the likeness itself.

EDIT:

Darkness-Legend-Curry2.png

Check this shot from the film. Even when he's laughing, his eyes aren't as open as they are on this statue.

Looking back at Jerrys previous work on Darkness you can see the similarities in all 3 pieces...
y2yzyjap.jpg

Likeness is just not there for me...I really want it to be cos I love the mixed media on this piece plus the size but it just looks too animated I'm afraid :(

bagyguqu.jpg

Looking back at Jerrys previous work on Darkness you can see the similarities in all 3 pieces...
y2yzyjap.jpg

Likeness is just not there for me...I really want it to be cos I love the mixed media on this piece plus the size but it just looks too animated I'm afraid :(

bagyguqu.jpg

honestly though i don't think it's the sculpt. I think it's the paint that's giving it that feel. If there were some darker red shades painted onto the statue, and I don't mean crazy amounts just hints here and there, especially around the eyes it would completely change the look.

Back