Premium Format Thor (Modern Age) Premium Format

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AW NAW I tried not to let the nerd rage draw me in... can't resist!!!

I've always liked Silver Surfer. Not the typical powerhouse since he's not an ancient warrior like Thor or as strong as Hulk, but he's pretty powerful.

I do realize his luck against Thor has given him more overall losses, but aside from WWH where Hulk definitely had assistance from the Warbound and then took the upper hand when Surfer thanked him for destroying the disc (people in their WWH love act like Hulk had some flawless victory), he can usually handle the Hulk very well. As far as definitive wins with no interruptions the most wins are:

Thor over Surfer
Surfer over Hulk
Hulk over Thor

Proof? Somebody actually went through the comics and counted their battles. Can't beat numbers. Overall, these 3 balance each other.

https://hero-envy.blogspot.com/2012/07/hulk-vs-silver-surfer.html
https://hero-envy.blogspot.com/2012/05/thor-vs-silver-surfer.html

Not sure why writers forget SS can do this to Hulk. I think only 2 writers used this, which is this time here, and the one I read as a kid in the 90s during Heroes Reborn where Hulk didn't have Banner (he was in Franklin Richard's pocket universe...SS would have killed Hulk).

2988400-4990172785-20260.jpg

But it doesn't really matter . . . Phoenix Pwns them all!

AW NAW I tried not to let the nerd rage draw me in... can't resist!!!

I've always liked Silver Surfer. Not the typical powerhouse since he's not an ancient warrior like Thor or as strong as Hulk, but he's pretty powerful.

I do realize his luck against Thor has given him more overall losses, but aside from WWH where Hulk definitely had assistance from the Warbound and then took the upper hand when Surfer thanked him for destroying the disc (people in their WWH love act like Hulk had some flawless victory), he can usually handle the Hulk very well. As far as definitive wins with no interruptions the most wins are:

Thor over Surfer
Surfer over Hulk
Hulk over Thor

Proof? Somebody actually went through the comics and counted their battles. Can't beat numbers. Overall, these 3 balance each other.

https://hero-envy.blogspot.com/2012/07/hulk-vs-silver-surfer.html
https://hero-envy.blogspot.com/2012/05/thor-vs-silver-surfer.html

Not sure why writers forget SS can do this to Hulk. I think only 2 writers used this, which is this time here, and the one I read as a kid in the 90s during Heroes Reborn where Hulk didn't have Banner (he was in Franklin Richard's pocket universe...SS would have killed Hulk).

2988400-4990172785-20260.jpg

But it doesn't really matter . . . Phoenix Pwns them all!

LOL that was the article I was referring to.

I call the threesome that is their greatness Paper Rock Scissors.

The last SS Thor run in gave Surfer some justice during the run where Galactus wanted the egg. Thor was visibally weakened but I agree with everything you said.

Back in it's heyday Wizard Magazine was the nerdgasm dream magazine as they went so far as to rank characters and used their staff of nerd experts to rank powers.

Amongst that they had Supes lose to Thor and then placed him at number two behind Surfer. They even started the internet controversy in its infancy of internet of Thor beating Supes.

Up until the early 2000's Thor and Hulk were equals alluding to Thor holding back. And Surfer always handled Hulk and Thor always handled Surfer.

I used to be obsessed with that stuff when I was younger lol. Now I see rumbles and try to get away as we all know Marvel is a product of popularity.

For example look at Spidey's showings vs Hulk. Even the website "The Leaders Lair" couldnt deny Spidey's strong showings against Hulk. However he doesnt have a snowball's chance vs Surfer lol. And Wolverine vs Surfer is a non story but against Hulk he can stay on par.

Thor is a tough write. I guess the reason why I loved him is he bridged the gap between the Earth stories and the cosmos. On the flip side he spends as much time on Earth so writers have had to dumb him down on Earth in order to equally tell a story about a guy with arrows and no powers on the same team. His greatest showings are always outside of Earth where he's one of the Cosmos heavy hitters (Not abstract level minus Run Lord Thor) but he always gives them pause regardless.

Nerd CF79 OUT!

LOL that was the article I was referring to.

I call the threesome that is their greatness Paper Rock Scissors.

The last SS Thor run in gave Surfer some justice during the run where Galactus wanted the egg. Thor was visibally weakened but I agree with everything you said.

Back in it's heyday Wizard Magazine was the nerdgasm dream magazine as they went so far as to rank characters and used their staff of nerd experts to rank powers.

Amongst that they had Supes lose to Thor and then placed him at number two behind Surfer. They even started the internet controversy in its infancy of internet of Thor beating Supes.

Up until the early 2000's Thor and Hulk were equals alluding to Thor holding back. And Surfer always handled Hulk and Thor always handled Surfer.

I used to be obsessed with that stuff when I was younger lol. Now I see rumbles and try to get away as we all know Marvel is a product of popularity.

For example look at Spidey's showings vs Hulk. Even the website "The Leaders Lair" couldnt deny Spidey's strong showings against Hulk. However he doesnt have a snowball's chance vs Surfer lol. And Wolverine vs Surfer is a non story but against Hulk he can stay on par.

Thor is a tough write. I guess the reason why I loved him is he bridged the gap between the Earth stories and the cosmos. On the flip side he spends as much time on Earth so writers have had to dumb him down on Earth in order to equally tell a story about a guy with arrows and no powers on the same team. His greatest showings are always outside of Earth where he's one of the Cosmos heavy hitters (Not abstract level minus Run Lord Thor) but he always gives them pause regardless.

Nerd CF79 OUT!

THIS!

I remember that Top 10 very well since it was my 1st issue of Wizard
61jw8JUroxL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

All might not agree with the rankings, but they provided solid reasons (mostly) why each character was ranked how they were. Surfer and his energy/matter manipulation, he can just drain Supe's solar power and Hulk's radiation, fight done (and how he's beaten Hulk twice now). Thor doesn't have that weakness, so of course he's tougher. But what you said is true. Anybody who likes one over the other will always say that one will win.

Are we having a Hulk vs discussion ?
First let me just say Hulk wins.
And as the current count it's Hulk 5 Thor 2 and Hulk 1 SS 2. It's just a matter of time before it's 2-2 and 3-2 tho :)

https://www.leaderslair.com/gammapeople/hulksmashes/hulk2001-3.html
https://www.leaderslair.com/gammapeople/hulksmashes/hulk3-95.html

Exactly what we're talking about, lol. And I don't know about that list...not as thorough as the one CF79 and I were referring to. It's Hulk 1 SS 3 and Hulks ONE VICTORY over Surfer was NOT obtained solely by himself. Surfer clearly lost, but the Warbound helped Hulk. They were all attacking Silver Surfer, Hulk just managed the final blows to win. Nobody helped Surfer.

But it's never about opinions, it's about what has happened on panel. If it's not printed facts it doesn't count! :lecture

To Thor's credit he certainly handled possessed Hulk and Thing at the same time in "Fear Itself". Thor haters love to give excuses for that one, but it was an impressive showing for Thor... same comic where Thor says "I could never beat you", then knocks Hulk right into Outer Space.

THIS!

I remember that Top 10 very well since it was my 1st issue of Wizard
61jw8JUroxL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

All might not agree with the rankings, but they provided solid reasons (mostly) why each character was ranked how they were. Surfer and his energy/matter manipulation, he can just drain Supe's solar power and Hulk's radiation, fight done (and how he's beaten Hulk twice now). Thor doesn't have that weakness, so of course he's tougher. But what you said is true. Anybody who likes one over the other will always say that one will win.

Exactly what we're talking about, lol. And I don't know about that list...not as thorough as the one CF79 and I were referring to. It's Hulk 1 SS 3 and Hulks ONE VICTORY over Surfer was NOT obtained solely by himself. Surfer clearly lost, but the Warbound helped Hulk. They were all attacking Silver Surfer, Hulk just managed the final blows to win. Nobody helped Surfer.

But it's never about opinions, it's about what has happened on panel. If it's not printed facts it doesn't count! :lecture

To Thor's credit he certainly handled possessed Hulk and Thing at the same time in "Fear Itself". Thor haters love to give excuses for that one, but it was an impressive showing for Thor... same comic where Thor says "I could never beat you", then knocks Hulk right into Outer Space.

Hulk did won alone vs SS in planet hulk. If you did read the comic his warbound wasn't even tickling SS. It's like if you beat me and somebody goes "you didn't beat him alone, there were ants crawling up his legs throwing him off balance" :) I'd love to see a Worldbreaker Hulk vs SS, not sure that would be a long fight, altho SS might think otherwise about that...

As for the fight in fear itself, it's been a while since I've read it, but I don't recall that blow being perticularly effective. I remember seeing that and I was like "whoaah!", but then the next panel shows the guy without a scratch and Thor going to Oz land... And was it even Hulk in that fight ? For all I know that possession thing was only slowing down the Hulk :)

P.S. Hulk strongest there is, beats all.

LOL yeah a website called Leader's Lair isn't going to be biased at allllllll.

And yes that was Hulk with an Asgardian hammer as well as Thing and before that Thor was fighting someone equal to Odin's power who blasted him into those two where he killed Thing and KOed Hulk into outerspace before collapsing.

Ugh. Hulk fanboys. :rotfl

LOL yeah a website called Leader's Lair isn't going to be biased at allllllll.

And yes that was Hulk with an Asgardian hammer as well as Thing and before that Thor was fighting someone equal to Odin's power who blasted him into those two where he killed Thing and KOed Hulk into outerspace before collapsing.

Ugh. Hulk fanboys. :rotfl

It's actually as concrete as you can get, if one is down and the other still standing that's a win, if not it's a draw, it doesn't go into 2 pages analysis...

Did you even read Fear itself or just looked it up on your heroenvy site ? Or do you just see what you wanna see ?
I have it on my lap right now and he didn't kill Thing but Knocked him out, and even then it's a strong word because he was still talking to Richard's kids afterwards.
And possessed Hulk wasn't even near knocked out, you can even see him camly talking as he is falling back on earth. He was hurt at best and luckily for everyone landed god knows where.
Hulk have always been the strongest, everyone at marvel knows it. Saying it or thinking it doesn't make you a Hulk fanboy, it's just a fact. They don't put him out at his best all the time for obvious reasons. Same goes for Superman in DC, weither you like it or not, he's the strongest.

LMAO

This is why I dont get into it anymore but just for grins

It's actually as concrete as you can get, if one is down and the other still standing that's a win, if not it's a draw, it doesn't go into 2 pages analysis...

LOL @ Leader's Lair being anything but concrete. I've read these books. They are fun filled and Hulk is generally an ass in them using captive humans against Thor and stuff. You can read their bias in their descriptions. It's not just Thor stuff either. All their stuff alludes to their simple on the back and standing equals a win BS I've been reading them for years until they stopped posting years ago. Good source for issues but biased and if you don't see that you're drinking the koolaid too.

Did you even read Fear itself or just looked it up on your heroenvy site ? Or do you just see what you wanna see ?

Do I see what I want to see? LOL what an arrogant ass. I have read Fear Itself I own almost every book they're referring to starting with JIM #112. B]

I have it on my lap right now and he didn't kill Thing but Knocked him out, and even then it's a strong word because he was still talking to Richard's kids afterwards.

Ummm sorta I guess? He basically killed Angrir Thing. He was laying there dying and talking to Franklin and he was fading to death and Franklin used his powers to bring him back to normal. No Franklin = dead Thing. Or do you just see what you want to see?

And possessed Hulk wasn't even near knocked out, you can even see him camly talking as he is falling back on earth. He was hurt at best and luckily for everyone landed god knows where.

The black word box with no words alludes to unconsciousness until he began to fall. He was floating up there in space just absolutely knocked so hard he was helpless. And I'm not sure I'd call that calmly talking what with the ALL CAPS AND ALL IS THIS CALM OR DO YOU JUST SEE WHAT YOU WANT TO SEE?

Hulk have always been the strongest, everyone at marvel knows it. Saying it or thinking it doesn't make you a Hulk fanboy, it's just a fact.

Oh yes. Everyone at Marvel knows it. It's truly a fact.

Say... let's ask someone at Marvel. Hell let's ask Mr Marvel himself.

Stan Lee.

Stan: Thor is stronger, only because he is a god and probably can't be killed. Again, I don't know how the guys have been writing him lately, but I thought of him as invulnerable.

Lee in 2002 described Thor's genesis early in the Marvel pantheon, following the creation of the Hulk:

How do you make someone stronger than the strongest person? It finally came to me: Don't make him human — make him a god.

Facts you say? Well... Stan Lee... the creator of the Marvel universe says Thor is more powerful than Hulk. There's your fact.

And facts are very stubborn things.

chris-hemsworth-stan-lee-and-lou-ferrigno.jpg

LMAO

Stan Lee.

Stan: Thor is stronger, only because he is a god and probably can't be killed. Again, I don't know how the guys have been writing him lately, but I thought of him as invulnerable.

Lee in 2002 described Thor's genesis early in the Marvel pantheon, following the creation of the Hulk:

How do you make someone stronger than the strongest person? It finally came to me: Don't make him human — make him a god.

Facts you say? Well... Stan Lee... the creator of the Marvel universe says Thor is more powerful than Hulk. There's your fact.

View attachment 104339

Well. I certainly did not know that an ass could be handed at that extreme but I sure do now. I even need to sit down after that one.

LMAO

Stan Lee.

View attachment 104339

I wonder if Lou charged 40 bucks to have that photo taken.

LMAO

Stan Lee.

View attachment 104339

It's pretty well known that the sole purpose Thor was created was because after 3-4 years of hulk comics, they thought they created an unstoppable beast and ruined their comics. Haha

But at the same time, I don't think Thor beats Hulk everytime. I bet you if we clones them and they faught to the feather over and over again. It'd be 50/50 to be honest... Haha

This Savage Hulk fella sure is wise beyond his years!

I think it's great to have them stalemate and create such a spark amongst fans to keep the sales churning. You gotta remember I love me some Hulk when written right. The first Kirby Lee Hulk stuff is classic man. Best stuff they put out back then in my opinion. Better than X-Men, FF Thor you name it.

Planet Hulk is one of my top twenty favorite series of all time. And Ultimate Hulk... wow. Millar's version of Hulk Takes Manhattan might be one of my favorite Marvel issues of all time.

But in the end I think what's forgotten is how Hulk and Thor... at the end of the day... are really friends. Like two alpha males on a football team who are ultimately fighting for the same thing. Redemption and victory.

3468173-thor+and+hulk+friends.jpg

Back