Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey with Neil deGrasse Tyson

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agen_kolar

Super Freak
Reaction score
A reboot of Carl Sagan's Cosmos: A Personal Voyage series from the 1980's, this time presented by Neil deGrasse Tyson.

The cosmos is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. Come with me." With those words in 1980 the astronomer Carl Sagan launched "Cosmos," an epic 13-part TV series that brought science to the public like never before, and opened up all of space and time to exploration.

A generation later, Sagan's legacy lives again in "Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey," a 21st-century reboot premiering on Fox tonight (March 9). The new "Cosmos" (the original was billed as "A Personal Journey") updates its predecessor with a blend of spectacular visual effects and the latest astronomical discoveries.

'Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey' is a 21st-century reboot of astronomer Carl Sagan's iconic 1980 science television series. The new 13-part series, hosted by astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson, begins March 9, 2014 on Fox.Pin It 'Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey' is a 21st-century reboot of astronomer Carl Sagan's iconic 1980 science television series. The new 13-part series, hosted by astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson, begins March 9, 2014 on Fox.

Yet the all-new 13-episode series — hosted by astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson, a fitting successor to Sagan for reasons the first episode makes clear — still stays true to the north star as Sagan's original: to share the wonder of the universe and science with viewers today. The people behind the new series think Sagan would be proud.

More here at Space.com.

Did anyone catch this tonight? I thought it was a really interesting first episode. I enjoyed the visuals and the explanation of existence as we know it on a calendar year for scale.

I thought it was great! I'm sure they'll repeat the episodes on Nat Geo or something.

I watched the originals when I was a kid so I had high hopes for this one. But, I knew once I heard Seth MacFarlane was involved it would probably be dumb and the 2 minutes of cartoons I saw so far looked dumb. I recorded it so I'll see when I watch the entire episode but now my hopes are lowered a bit.

Last edited:
Loved it. I miss Carl Sagan's poet-philosopher musings though. I also miss the Vangellis music score. Still, I can tell this is much more interesting visually. I can't wait till next week.

Cool, I'd seen something about this but missed the episode. I'll watch out for it next week. Definitely something my wife would want to watch, too, which is cool since our tastes are pretty divergent when it comes to TV.

It would be very unusual for a show like this, trying to find its legs, to not replay as much as possible. Will check it out tomorrow and see if there are some repeats of the first episode throughout the week.

Here are the upcoming showtimes on NatGeo for episode 1:
MON MAR 10 10PM ET
TUE MAR 11 12AM ET
FRI MAR 14 7PM ET
FRI MAR 14 10PM ET
SAT MAR 15 1AM ET
MON MAR 17 6PM ET

Thanks for the upcoming schedule update, JonWes. I, too, missed it last night. I love Neil deGrasse Tyson.
His giddy enthusiasm about all things of a cosmic nature is infectious.

I really enjoyed this, I grew up watching the original Cosmos. I'm a big fan Neil De Grasse Tyson as well, thought he did a great job. Also loved all the Sagan references.

I forgot what night it was supposed to start so I missed it. I'll be watching it tonight though.
2hf1c7r.jpg

I finally got around to watching the first episode. Neil was very good and I really liked him. The cartoons, as I suspected, were kind of stupid and I hope they do less of those and more of Neil explaining stuff. Overall I liked it and I'll keep watching.

A reboot of Carl Sagan's Cosmos: A Personal Voyage series from the 1980's, this time presented by Neil deGrasse Tyson.

More here at Space.com.

Did anyone catch this tonight? I thought it was a really interesting first episode. I enjoyed the visuals and the explanation of existence as we know it on a calendar year for scale.

That was by far my favorite part. Very interesting stuff.

I loved the first episode. This is going to be one of one helluva trip. Between this and True Detective and Game of Thrones coming up, this has to be some of the very best television ever offered in the span of just about two months.

I thought, overall the second episode was stronger than the first. It definitely started to dive into more detail, and they certainly didn't shy away from the subject of evolution. And evolution was (quite rightly) portrayed as scientific fact. This, frankly, is (sadly) part of why a mainstream show like this is so wonderful to have at this juncture. I really hope kids and people of all ages watch it and learn something, and hopefully are entertained by a slick presentation. I enjoyed the way evolution was explained. They even tackled the complexity of of the eyeball! The animation was kept to a minimum, which I thought was good. I also enjoyed the concept of the Hall of Extinction. Although this is one area where I thought it felt a little choppy at times. Abruptly leaving the hall and saying we'll come back (and later doing that on Titan, it seems) felt a little strange.

However, I do think the scenes of the Ship of the Imagination flying through Titan really showed how well the concept can immerse you into what's happening. I mean, I get that it won't be for everyone, but I think it's a nice device especially for general audiences.

I think the unnamed hall was the one that's going to wipe us out.... that's why he said we'll save it for later.

I think the unnamed hall was the one that's going to wipe us out.... that's why he said we'll save it for later.

Yes, that's what I assumed, too. I wonder if they'll go back to the hall, though. That would make more sense. I just thought it was odd not to through more of them. Maybe it's a reoccurring thing.

Back