Big Chief Studios - Dr. Who Weeping Angels

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In sterling that's currently £113.50, but presumably that price doesn't include VAT at 20% so these will be, what, £135-£140? I'm pleased that's less than the Doctors, would be nice if they were a tiny bit cheaper. But damn, they look brilliant.

Do they come with two sets of wings or adjustable wings?

It looks like the Weeping Angel will be solicited through Diamond Comics in the US! It is in this week's retailer version of Previews Plus. Here is the product image:

weeping_angel01b_zpsb2c4b683.jpg

I have it up for preorder here: https://lukestoystore.com/weeping-angel-1-6-scale-action-figure/

This is great to hear....my only wish is that these were being sold as a two pack as we all know you can't have just one.

Quite expensive, yes, but the price seems right since it is being advertise as a polystone status. My guess is that BC is trying to attract the staue buyers as well.

Would have been cheaper for us if they went with the ABS plastic route, but the margins may have been low and cost of production may be higher.

$189 isn't a bad price. Part of me wonders if retailers will be stuck with some and end up clearancing them out eventually like they did with 11. Might be a good way to end up with two of them. I wonder if BCS will have any kind of exclusive to their site. Interchangable damaged parts sounds like a good way to go with any kind of exclusive.

Since they are statues, they may be more limited though I can see these going on clearance. As for exclusives at the BC site, I can see them making the baby statue accessory as an exclusive.

In sterling that's currently £113.50, but presumably that price doesn't include VAT at 20% so these will be, what, £135-£140?

£135-£140 might just be acceptible for a pair but if that's just for 1 then it's an easy pass because thas just OTT price wise.

I'm sure the polystone was also about making this feel like a high-quality piece, as well. The thing about pricing is it isn't always all about the materials. There's the time sculpting, licensing costs, paint costs, etc. The decision to do polystone might be partly to help justify the cost they needed to hit anyway. Hard to say, though. I'm pretty happy with the price thanks to the Us distribution. $150 would have been perfect, I think. But this isn't too far off.

I concur. I have bought a few statues in the past few years, and that said, $186 isn't that bad for a polystone statue especially when the figure is coming out in the US. It would also mean that this might be clearances anytime soon unless the statues have a very limited run. I can see that the staue might be priced more on the Big Chief site since the 11th came out around $250 on the site whereas everywhere else had him for $200. It is true that the high price isn't because of materials alone. I think the labor process involving molding cost a lot more when doing a staue as oppose of the traditional metal molds used in making plastic figures.

As for high-end goods, if BC starts making Daleks, I hope they go with the plastic route. To me, going with polystone wouldn't make any sense for robots with a sturdy box-like design and can be mass produced to make an army or to make variations. Going plastic would be cheap since the shell would be made up of 4 pieces. However, I can see BC adding all the bells and whistles to a Dalek figure (giving it lights and sounds, as well as the ability to make it open like the Last Dalek episode to reveal a Dalek)

Speaking of high-end goods,

Oh, I'm sure Daleks would be plastic. I'm sure the polystone is just because they are statues. One thing about the price, too. These will have swappable parts, too. Which is a nice bonus.

I'm sure the polystone was also about making this feel like a high-quality piece, as well. The thing about pricing is it isn't always all about the materials. There's the time sculpting, licensing costs, paint costs, etc. The decision to do polystone might be partly to help justify the cost they needed to hit anyway. Hard to say, though. I'm pretty happy with the price thanks to the Us distribution. $150 would have been perfect, I think. But this isn't too far off.

Selecting polystone over plastic can be a factor of number produced. Tooling a die for a plastic piece is incredibly expensive and only worthwhile if there will be multiple thousands of units produced. Casting it in polystone is far more cost effective if there are only going to be a few hundred or even a 1000.

I don't think it's an unreasonable price, but I'm not sure I'm willing to pay that much for a monster figure.

I know. They also made the WA polystone to appeal to the statue ppl who would collect the 1/6 figures. I think that is why these statues are being distributed in the US

I thought that was the reason for it since a metal mold, while doesn't retain the minute details of a sculpt that a silicone mold would, lasts much longer. I think a silicone mold is unusable after a hundred casts. I don't remember how much tooling cost (from a Joe con I went to back in 03), but I remember it was expensive in the 15k range. That sure is expensive especially when one can get a smooth-on silicone mold kit for a hundred.

Sadly, I think like the Doctor and the Amy figures, BC is using the Weeping Angels to see if there are any interests for them. I honestly think that the Weeping Angels are overrated due to the "Blink" episode. I think what made the episode good was the focus on Sally Sparrows rather than the Angels themselves. If the Weeping Angels were replaced with Daleks or any other scary monster, I think the episode would still be good. The monsters have gotten more ridiculous with each episode they appear, making their power to feed inconsistent.

Anyway, I think the Weeping Angels are being made because they are popular and one of the few NuWho Monsters that have been made into 12 inch figures/statues. I would prefer Sontarians or the Ice Warriors, but they aren't as popular as the Weeping Angels.

Anyone notice that the wings also appear articulated. I'm waiting for more info to make too much judgement on the price as I'm hoping for a little closer to 150. Maybe a 2 pack for 300?

Anyone notice that the wings also appear articulated. I'm waiting for more info to make too much judgement on the price as I'm hoping for a little closer to 150. Maybe a 2 pack for 300?

Hadn't noticed that - they are at least repositioned on the attacking angel. Cool!

Sadly, I think like the Doctor and the Amy figures, BC is using the Weeping Angels to see if there are any interests for them. I honestly think that the Weeping Angels are overrated due to the "Blink" episode. I think what made the episode good was the focus on Sally Sparrows rather than the Angels themselves. If the Weeping Angels were replaced with Daleks or any other scary monster, I think the episode would still be good. The monsters have gotten more ridiculous with each episode they appear, making their power to feed inconsistent.

Anyway, I think the Weeping Angels are being made because they are popular and one of the few NuWho Monsters that have been made into 12 inch figures/statues. I would prefer Sontarians or the Ice Warriors, but they aren't as popular as the Weeping Angels.

I think its also because of the nature of the character(s), Weeping Angels make a perfect transition to statue/figure form :)

Back