Media Metal Gear Solid Discussion Thread (NO FIGURES /CUSTOMS JUST GAMES) SPOILERS

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah that's what I've been doing. I just last night beat Wolf again and I'd hid in an air duct in the blast furnace and left it on overnight (for then 3rd time)

I should be over 35hours now, I've been doing the hold ups and shakedowns, cqc choke outs and syringing enemies but for these emblems there's no count on the mission briefing as to how many of each I've totalled up so I'm basically guessing and just wandering around tranqing every enemy and then waking them up and doing each of the actions :lol

The only other boring one I'll have to do in this run is the +50 continues, I think I'm just gonna wait until the Mantis fight and let the guards keep killing me when they spawn, should be the quickest way now at this stage.

All in all MGS4 is a great game - the first time you play through it... but on repeat plays it becomes bothersome and although the gameplay is fine (not my favourite in the series) the story and narrative get stale and harder to digest the longer you are exposed to it, the story especially.

I think this is because you don't soak up everything the first time and a lot of stuff is missed or goes over your head. I for one can't play a videogame of this type for gameplay alone because these types of games aren't made with solely the gameplay in mind. This isn't a FPS and the gameplay and story have to go hand in hand for me otherwise it suffers, there has to be a good balance between the two.

You can tell the story and narrative are as big a part, some might argue even bigger due to how heavily Kojima relies and falls back on, MGS4 being the prime example.
I do believe Kojima wasn't in the ebb and flow of MGS for MGS4.

To me it looks like a fancy way of using the PS3 to make a nice looking game while trying to feed his cinematic boner and simultaneously kill off Solid Snake while mashing the rest of the story lines together and using nanomachines as the glue binding it all together. Oh and not to mention paving the way for BB to be some misguided hero and Solid Snake some pwny loser who was just 'in the way' the whole time. In technicality, Big Boss, Liquid and Ocelot are all fallen heroes to the unbeknownst biggest enemy of the series - Solid Snake

@Frank, sorry to hear that you missed the flashbacks. There are some hidden ones such as when Raiden is run over by the ship that you need to get if I'm not mistaken.

Getting the plat for MGS4 isn't all that difficult except for the Bike Chase on BBE which requires a lot of luck, which I was stuck at all afternoon. As for the chicken run, it's best to leave your PS3 overnight to rack up that timer, which was what I did. All in all, I got the plat in less than a month back in August 2012 when the trophy patch first came out. It's much harder than MGS3 and PW, but nowhere near as difficult as MGS2 and Rising.

@FSLAR, having played MGS3 extensively on PS2, PS3, Vita and 3DS, I have to say the PS3 version blows all other ports out of the water with the Vita version trailing at a close second.

@Gaspar
, those briefing custcenes are a nightmare especially considering you have to pick up items, watch flashbacks and get the face camo all while listening to pointless exposition. I honestly think it should be made illegal for cutscenes to be as long as MGS4.

MGS4, while not without its merits, is the most dated MGS game of the series is considering it was trying to achieve so much yet was quickly outdone by other games last gen. It's a stale joke that was made at a time when Kojima probably didn't had the creative mojo in him as he did with the prior games.

Last edited:
Oh well Frank, I hope you'll take comfort in knowing that I too am doing a platinum run, but I'm not sure if I have it in me to re-earn all those goddamn trophies again. At least MGS2 is fun, MGS3 is a cake walk and PW was manageable with a partner.

As for other tips, I'd say go to PS3trophies.org for guides and I do remember writing down all the times I did CQC/collected emblems/etc on a notepad. That should keep things in check, it's gonna be a real pain if you missed something just because you forgot it.

Also, save the BBE run as your last since you'll be familiar with the routes, and keep in mind that even pausing and loading counts in the timer so you'll have to be quick. Do remember to save at every level since you can't afford a single alert!

Yeah, my first run through I actually went through the whole game without killing anyone, being spotted or using any recovery items but it was only half way through id decided to actually go for plat, so it was sort of a waste of time doing that on my first play :lol

I should be good for all the mundane emblems now, the only one I might be under on is the syringe but I can always do that on the next run through if I don't get it but I think I'm good. I've done all the wall press, cardboard box etc and the iPod tracks bar the 2 you get from the BBE run. I think I've hot 3 more runs after this one and I should have the plat

Says the only person brave enough to get the MGR plat.. :cuckoo::lol

MGS4's Plat, was "easier" than MGR only due to the fact that some of the requirements for MGS4's required leaving your PS3 on for hours at a time and rigging the controller to keep Snake moving for a set amount of time for the BBE.

MGR, made me contemplate suicide. I can't say it enough, mission 18 in VR felt borderline impossible. Taking 100s of retries. It reminds me of that last Tom Cruise film (didn't see it, but familiar with the plot) because I had to die NUMEROUS times to get the experience needed to survive :lol

Mission 19 in VR, is a little tricky but after becoming a Jedi Master in 18, it wasn't too bad. You got to fight four of those cyber Wolves at once but they can be beaten fairly easily. I believe you can take damage in that, the trick with that mission is that everyone needed to have a special execution on them.

MGS4, while not without its merits, is the most dated MGS game of the series is considering it was trying to achieve so much yet was quickly outdone by other games last gen. It's a stale joke that was made at a time when Kojima probably didn't had the creative mojo in him as he did with the prior games.
Yeah this is how I feel about MGS 4 at times. Sometimes it feels like it was ahead of its time (mostly visually and the overall feel) but other times, it feels easily dated. Possibly because the novelty wears off - MGS 2 and MGS 3 were pretty advanced with some mechanics and thus still hold up cause of it, and the story isn't questionable for the wrong reasons.

As for MGS 3 I gathered as much, I need to play the HD version sometime when my backlog ends. :lol Although it does seem like MGS 4's hype is really dead, what with the lack of merchandise unlike other games from that year and MGS games in general. I still don't really get why the game got 10 out of 10s...were sites just that highly paid by Kojima?

Also MGS Platinums in general are kind of a pain in the ass, and I felt 4's trophies were pretty stupid sometimes.

MGS4's Plat, was "easier" than MGR only due to the fact that some of the requirements for MGS4's required leaving your PS3 on for hours at a time and rigging the controller to keep Snake moving for a set amount of time for the BBE.

MGR, made me contemplate suicide. I can't say it enough, mission 18 in VR felt borderline impossible. Taking 100s of retries. It reminds me of that last Tom Cruise film (didn't see it, but familiar with the plot) because I had to die NUMEROUS times to get the experience needed to survive :lol

Mission 19 in VR, is a little tricky but after becoming a Jedi Master in 18, it wasn't too bad. You got to fight four of those cyber Wolves at once but they can be beaten fairly easily. I believe you can take damage in that, the trick with that mission is that everyone needed to have a special execution on them.

Geez Pliss, that's sounds like a nightmare. I doubt I could S-rank Revengeance as I'm still getting the hang on Revengeance with the Fox blade and White Armor skin. Not that would help much getting an S-Rank for Armstrong. I tried VR Level 18 and couldn't beat it even after 10 hours.

I dunno about you but MGR is one of those games that gives me actual physical pain to get the trophies. My hands would hurt like crazy. It seems like the way to plat this game is to actually hit the gym, eat fish oil and supplements and train with a ninja sensei. :rotfl

Did you ever gotten around those MGS2 VR Missions? If you wanna cheat you can just enter the Konami Code to unlock all the missions without earning them. One word - Snake Variety Level 4. God bless whoever dares to endure that 3 minutes of hell.

Geez Pliss, that's sounds like a nightmare. I doubt I could S-rank Revengeance as I'm still getting the hang on Revengeance with the Fox blade and White Armor skin. Not that would help much getting an S-Rank for Armstrong. I tried VR Level 18 and couldn't beat it even after 10 hours.

I dunno about you but MGR is one of those games that gives me actual physical pain to get the trophies. My hands would hurt like crazy. It seems like the way to plat this game is to actually hit the gym, eat fish oil and supplements and train with a ninja sensei. :rotfl

Did you ever gotten around those MGS2 VR Missions? If you wanna cheat you can just enter the Konami Code to unlock all the missions without earning them, One word - Snake Variety Level 4. God bless whoever dares to try and beat that.

MGS2 is the only game of the series I have not gotten every trophy for as of yet. I didn't get all the dog tags yet, I HATED getting them on the PS2 version.

S-Rank Revengeance was difficult, since I almost threw my TV out my window because Monsoon was way too tricky and caused me to have many many retries because I couldn't get a perfect.

Yeah this is how I feel about MGS 4 at times. Sometimes it feels like it was ahead of its time (mostly visually and the overall feel) but other times, it feels easily dated. Possibly because the novelty wears off - MGS 2 and MGS 3 were pretty advanced with some mechanics and thus still hold up cause of it, and the story isn't questionable for the wrong reasons.

As for MGS 3 I gathered as much, I need to play the HD version sometime when my backlog ends. :lol Although it does seem like MGS 4's hype is really dead, what with the lack of merchandise unlike other games from that year and MGS games in general. I still don't really get why the game got 10 out of 10s...were sites just that highly paid by Kojima?

Also MGS Platinums in general are kind of a pain in the ass, and I felt 4's trophies were pretty stupid sometimes.

Yeah, it does seems that MGS4 never actually left a legacy of any kind. Not even other game developers talked about it in reverence so you know there's something wrong.

One thing I can say is that the visuals, while inconsistent in quality, is still some of the best last gen and the audio is THE best gaming has ever seen. Yes, the best. Period.

I'm at the Act Five briefing and almost turned off the console with all the cheesiness of the cutscenes and.. Johhny trying to grope Mei Ling? Is that supposed to be funny? :slap

MGS2 is the only game of the series I have not gotten every trophy for as of yet. I didn't get all the dog tags yet, I HATED getting them on the PS2 version.

S-Rank Revengeance was difficult, since I almost threw my TV out my window because Monsoon was way too tricky and caused me to have many many retries because I couldn't get a perfect.

The Dog Tags aren't bad at all. Just save after a few checkpoints, hit all the shoulder buttons + START + SELECT to do a soft reset and go to the Special menu to review any that you might have missed before proceeding to a point of no return (Such as the before the Harrier fight). By the time you hit Extreme difficulty, you'd have the stealth camo at least.

Oh, btw you forgot Ground Beef. :monkey3

The Dog Tags aren't bad at all. Just save after a few checkpoints, hit all the shoulder buttons + START + SELECT to do a soft reset and go to the Special menu to review any that you might have missed before proceeding to a point of no return (Such as the before the Harrier fight). By the time you hit Extreme difficulty, you'd have the stealth camo at least.

Oh, btw you forgot Ground Beef. :monkey3

I've gotten all of them on the PS2 version, I just can't bring myself to doing it all over again.

@FSLAR I think it was deserving of those 10's! Even after I got the platinum, I continued playing it multiple times. Although, no where near as many times as Ryan! Woah! I've haven't played any game even half that amount!

Snake likes him some Trap music

3926459-4235449323-tumbl.gif

I bought the MGS comics with Ashley Wood's art, I've never read them before, they're pretty good, and the art is exquisite.

I know Ash's work isn't for everyone, but it clicks with me just fine.

Has Shinkawa ever done anything that isn't concept art?

If he made an MGS comicbook or manga I'd die.

I bought the MGS comics with Ashley Wood's art, I've never read them before, they're pretty good, and the art is exquisite.

I know Ash's work isn't for everyone, but it clicks with me just fine.

Has Shinkawa ever done anything that isn't concept art?

If he made an MGS comicbook or manga I'd die.

No, Shinkawa never made comics as he admitted he has no patience for it.

Have you seen the Digital Graphic Novels on the Legacy Collection? It's remade into a movie and comes (for the first time) with English voices by mostly te original cast. :yess:

Back