what does marvel sample mean??

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

09shabir

Freaked Out
Reaction score
hey just curious I have the thor comic book version PF which is epic btw lol however it not number, it say marvel sample. what does that mean

It means it was a piece sent to Marvel's consumer product division as part of the license agreement.

Generally yes. Better paint job usually than the other pieces that were painted in China. Also the lower the number out of the edition size made means the mold has not been changed much from the original sculpt. Think.of of it like erosion. Number 1 out of 1000 is more like the original sculpt. Number 1000 out of 1000, supposedly means the mold has worn down with so many pieces being produced in between and less.in detail than the original sculpt cause the details can wear off. Marvel sample is like number 0. Sideshow can't make a statue without marvel saying go ahead. Yours is a piece for marvel's approval before it goes into production.

I've seen a few different sample pieces on here and eBay of different characters, generally they are highly sought after and very expensive. Still wish I had the sample pumpkinhead maquette (a fellow freak has it), but I'd even take a regular pumpkinhead.

Last edited:
Also the lower the number out of the edition size made means the mold has not been changed much from the original sculpt. Think.of of it like erosion. Number 1 out of 1000 is more like the original sculpt. Number 1000 out of 1000, supposedly means the mold has worn down with so many pieces being produced in between and less.in detail than the original sculpt cause the details can wear off. .

That's not accurate. The details don't wear off, the mold can warp in a slight degree, the effects of which are mostly negligible.

Also, molds don't last for 1,000 pieces. Depending on the material, it can last for maybe 15-30 pieces, before it needs to be re-made. As such, there would be no difference between #1 and #900, if the mold was re-made every 30 pieces.

I always wondered if they make them in order or just make a large group then number them later. I would not think #1 means it was the first to be done either.

As a side note I have a Fox sample Predator and Warner sample LOTR PF and both of them are better than the regular versions I had.

Back