Is Ironman costing hot toys customers?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Iron Man is undoubted the most successful franchise for Hot toys, it's the suit appeal, character appeal, and the desire to have all the marks just to say you have all the marks and have a hall of amour, just like Tony Stark. It's an engineering feat and they have indeed made toy history. It sells because people eat it up, there's always a jump on point, no matter what the armour is, Iron man is Iron man. Hot toys have made a fortune on it and will continue to, I mean, why stop the money from rolling in? Who says no to money?

People are tired, including me, of the constant, Iron man, batman, Iron man, Batman releases but it's never going to stop. They are typecasted as the Superhero 1/6 figure company because they gobble up all the Marvel and DC licenses. If there's a new marvel/DC movie, there will be hot toys, and it takes up all their slots. I was so surprised they managed to get the crow out this year, what a curveball. We just have to accept that fact and come back when something different is released, no way they are "losing" customers.

At the end of the day, Hot toys make money, some fans suffer, some fans don't. Money speaks for itself, they make what sells, and it's Iron man.

Unfortunately that's not true.

Well I am waiting for a Winter Soldier Cap and Black Widow, purposely didn't pick up them in the aftermarket because of the fat chance HT will make 'm.

murdomac said:
I guess in a roundabout way Iron man is actually gaining customers for Hot Toys, as posted above the revenue stream from multiply Ironman figures is a real cash cow for Hot Toys, money they can then reinvest in some 'left field' or 'less likely to sell out' figures and purchase less popular licences, thus in the end giving us the customer more figure choice not less.

All companies will milk thier cash cow if they are lucky enough to have one it's just good business.

People keep making this point in bold^

They were already doing this. Iron Man shouldn't get the credit for that. :dunno

Hmmm.. perhaps not all the credit, however I doubt the revenue from say Predator action figures, reaches Terminator levels, which itself is almost certainly eclipsed by Batman (due to passage of time).. let alone Iron Man.. so equally, lets not underplay the importance of Iron Man revenue to R&D for other more 'niche' licenses.. and some of those licenses *cough* BTTF *cough* are getting rather long in the tooth, for attracting new fans.. I think there is no doubt that Iron Man has generated a lot of new collectors.

The point has often been made, that this hobby has a strong nostalgia element to it and the focus of that nostalgia shifts with time.. Iron Man will probably stand the test of time rather well, because the license appeals to Robot fans, who are the Action figure equivalent of Rock fans.. ie. you remain a fan until they push the burning Long ship out to sea, with 'Born to be Wild' playing on the sound system...

Last edited:
...lets not underplay the importance of Iron Man revenue to R&D for other more 'niche' licenses.. and some of those licenses *cough* BTTF *cough* are getting rather long in the tooth, for attracting new fans.

I'd just like to pick up on this point, which gets a bit of a mention not only here, but in other parts of this thread and this forum.

The assumption here is that this revenue goes to R/D for new figures/licences, as opposed to... more Iron Man. :(

I'd just like to pick up on this point, which gets a bit of a mention not only here, but in other parts of this thread and this forum.

The assumption here is that this revenue goes to R/D for new figures/licences, as opposed to... more Iron Man. :(

I never said all the revenue goes to R&D for niche licenses.. obviously there are priorities.. firstly, moar Iron Man suits!.. coffee and cookies.. Office cleaners' Xmas fund.. kitty litter.. but there is definitely a trickle down effect.. DeLorean and Dr. Emmett Brown for 2015 (30th Anniversary) would be cool.. Ok, ok ..and irritating McFly

Zero interest in the IM license here, but I must admit, the armors are very well made. I only have three now, but I'm really looking to see how Igor turns out. As long as other licenses get some love down the line, I'm fine with HT milking the hell out if IM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I didn't know where to start this thread but felt like hot toys needed to see this I just wanted to see if anyone think's Ironman is costing hot toys customers?

Everyone know's that Ironman is a decent film but does anyone agree hot toys have over killed it? I mean common guys at this moment in time it feels like you've given up all licenses including back to the future and batman to make what a plastic robot that lights up in a different armour?

I feel this is costing them customers because everyone seems to know there is gonna be mark 20 billion and now you have millions of Ironman's all over the world, there is making a master piece and there is over kill....... Sorry hot toys but your killing ironman!

Make something new give us these new licenses you have, your customers will thank you!

If this is in the wrong thread please move it other than that does anyone agree they are over killing ironman?

I've just starting collecting 01/01/14 so until I catch up with my IM onesixes I can't agree with you lol... But,,, I see your point though..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I find it a bit ridiculous that they're making armours that didn't appear in the films. I mean they have Python as the Toy Fair exclusive, yet it was never shown on screen in Iron Man 3. The prices are getting sky high now with Igor priced at $500. I feel sorry for Iron Man collectors that want to be completists with this line, but so many figures are being produced and the prices are high for an armour that was seen on screen for 10 seconds.

Hot Toys are smart though. They've sucked collectors into this line and even though they might be grumbling over the amount of armours being pumped out, they still can't help but buy them all. Hot Toys is counting on these completist collectors to continue to buy each release.

Thankfully Hot Toys still gave enough attention to BTTF and even surprised many with the Ripley and Powerloader at SDCC. So whilst the milking of Iron Man can be an annoyance, I'm happy if they continue to produce from their other licenses.

I find it a bit ridiculous that they're making armours that didn't appear in the films. I mean they have Python as the Toy Fair exclusive, yet it was never shown on screen in Iron Man 3.

20.jpg

I suppose I got my answer aha!

It wasn't made for a war or anything haha it was just seeing what people thought. Saying that the crow and robocop look pretty neat!
Answer received on first page, in general section (when its Marvel related). Must be a record :lol

Meanwhile, 11 pages later....

This thread is ...... alive! :D

Not anymore :monkey3
x :peace

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back