The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jGNkUsw.png

I ****ing love The Lord of the Rings. The Hobbit... not so much. It's weird; this stuff is just reinforcing why Lord of the Rings was so special even as it demotivates me for the final Hobbit movie. Which is kind of nice, as it's the opposite of The Prequels, which made me less interested in the original Star Wars trilogy.

That is what the new trailer did for me... It just reminded me how much better LOTR films are then the new films..

But I need to watch the third because I am basing much of that opinion on TDoS. I just find that film basically unwatchable. Middle chapter or not... I saw it twice in the theaters and did not care much for it... I tried to watch it on Blu ray and found myself shutting it off. Its the first of the Middle earth films were I have not watched the theatrical version at least twice on home video before the Extended cut came out. TABA was pretty good and I enjoyed it but TDoS ruined that one for me a little also.

But it has not ruined my appreciation of the LOTR films... (though I don't think TTT and ROTK have aged as well, FOTR is still perfect IMO) But like Jye said the SW prequels really ruined my enjoyment of the OT and I had to try and wipe those films clean from my memory banks. Luckily these Hobbit films are not that bad (though TDoS is close for me)

It is just unfathomable to me how one set of films can alter the enjoyment or perception of another set of films.
My lukewarm reaction to the Hobbit films (great entertainment, but not much substance for me) in no way affects my opinion or enjoyment of the LOTR trilogy. Neither did my dislike of ROTJ affect my love for SW and ESB. Or Alien Resurrection ruin my rabid fandom of Alien. :dunno

Hobbit movies have no impact on LOTR movies.
Prequels have no impact on OT.

For me.

Both were never ever gonna measure up to their predecessors.

The first movie left a little to be desired for me. However, TDoS was a great movie and I can't wait to top it off with this film. The song over the trailer still gives me chills and it looks fantastic!!

I just re watched this trailer. Definately can't be worse then the second film. :(

I still love the cartoon WAY better then these films!

Wow, you must REALLY love the Lion King.

Personally, LOTR is such an achievement I find it hard to compare to any other movies. If pushed I might say Star Wars and Empire, or Godfather 1 and 2. But honestly, I never thought I would see it realized on film in a way that didn't make me angry. Not only did it not make me angry, the first trailer actually brought tears to my eyes, as the book was so beloved to me.

Peter Jackson did what I don't believe any other filmmaker could have done.

The Hobbit, while very good (to me, at least) had little chance of recapturing that magic, I am honestly surprised they are as good as they are, as I think Jackson was a bit burned out on Middle Earth.

LOTR and Hobbit are very different books, but PJ (so far) has done an amazing job of tying their moods together.

PJ WAS done with Middle Earth- he WAS NOT supposed to direct the Hobbit films...you all know the story...I think his true enthusiasm and talent went into making LOTR trilogy and that was that. Frankly he is brilliant but searching for something to rekindle that excitement. I think ALOT of the Hobbit films show technical skills and coming up with new ways to stage action scenes but alot also seems like going through the motions..

Back