The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Commentary regarding the trailer from bad ass digest: https://badassdigest.com/2014/07/28...t-movie-calls-on-lord-of-the-rings-nostalgia/

This trailer for The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies debuted at Comic-Con this weekend; it was the only new footage Peter Jackson and company shared from this film, but they showed a really great blooper reel that included stuff from the original trilogy. And watching all of this stuff, and this new trailer that includes Pippen's heartbreaking song from Return of the King, made me realize something:

I ****ing love The Lord of the Rings. The Hobbit... not so much. It's weird; this stuff is just reinforcing why Lord of the Rings was so special even as it demotivates me for the final Hobbit movie. Which is kind of nice, as it's the opposite of The Prequels, which made me less interested in the original Star Wars trilogy.

The most notable thing here, for me, is the lack of hobbits. There's some Bilbo up front and time-traveling Pip singing, but otherwise this movie looks to be a story of orcs and men and dwarves and elves. I know that Bilbo is out cold for this section of the book, but that's certainly something Jackson should have changed in adaptation. It makes more sense than having Legolas all over the place, hogging up screen time.

By the way, Evan Saathoff wants me to tell you that the trailer has his worried Gandalf might die in this film.

And behold: also a new teaser poster! Check out that tagline, "The Defining Chapter." I guess that means this is the glossary.

People get upset enough that PJ waivers from the book and this guy wants more Hobbits in it? :lol

That's because LOTR was made like Star Wars, for adults...The Hobbit trilogy seems like the SW prequels which seemed like they catered to the kiddies.
I don't think movies should have to drastically decrease in quality to appeal to a younger audience. I've loved both the Star Wars OT and LotR trilogy since I was little. I didn't need mindless, flashy CGI and fart jokes/bird poop on head to keep me entertained.

Commentary regarding the trailer from bad ass digest:

And watching all of this stuff, and this new trailer that includes Pippen's heartbreaking song from Return of the King, made me realize something:

I ****ing love The Lord of the Rings. The Hobbit... not so much. It's weird; this stuff is just reinforcing why Lord of the Rings was so special even as it demotivates me for the final Hobbit movie.
So true.

People get upset enough that PJ waivers from the book and this guy wants more Hobbits in it? :lol

I read these kinds of posts and think people like this should stick to movies they're more capable at being able to deal with. :lol

Just saw the trailer...I can't wait to see this in December! :yess:

Indeed!

That's because LOTR was made like Star Wars, for adults...The Hobbit trilogy seems like the SW prequels which seemed like they catered to the kiddies.

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy is darker and more adult like, which is exactly how the books are between each other. The Hobbit book doesn't go full kiddie at all not even close and neither do these films. I find it fairly laughable at best that people hint at this because it shows they really lack a fundamental understanding of the source materials and how they've been translated in tone quite well to the big screen. I will give there have been some silly jokes inserted into both trilogies that I don't care for. However, I will say that Jackson has done quite well at making The Hobbit that right balance of softer side of Middle-earth that the book has and getting darker as the books does while working towards what we get in The Lord of the Rings.

Commentary regarding the trailer from bad ass digest: https://badassdigest.com/2014/07/28...t-movie-calls-on-lord-of-the-rings-nostalgia/

This trailer for The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies debuted at Comic-Con this weekend; it was the only new footage Peter Jackson and company shared from this film, but they showed a really great blooper reel that included stuff from the original trilogy. And watching all of this stuff, and this new trailer that includes Pippen's heartbreaking song from Return of the King, made me realize something:

I ****ing love The Lord of the Rings. The Hobbit... not so much. It's weird; this stuff is just reinforcing why Lord of the Rings was so special even as it demotivates me for the final Hobbit movie. Which is kind of nice, as it's the opposite of The Prequels, which made me less interested in the original Star Wars trilogy.

The most notable thing here, for me, is the lack of hobbits. There's some Bilbo up front and time-traveling Pip singing, but otherwise this movie looks to be a story of orcs and men and dwarves and elves. I know that Bilbo is out cold for this section of the book, but that's certainly something Jackson should have changed in adaptation. It makes more sense than having Legolas all over the place, hogging up screen time.

By the way, Evan Saathoff wants me to tell you that the trailer has his worried Gandalf might die in this film.

And behold: also a new teaser poster! Check out that tagline, "The Defining Chapter." I guess that means this is the glossary.

One thing I also take away from reading this post is that he wouldn't like The Hobbit book either. I know lots of people who love The Lord of the Rings books but can't really make it through The Hobbit.

I love hobbits but I don't see how they would fit in this story. Unless you added more hobbits to the group or replaced some of the dwarfs with hobbits.

not sure where more hobbits would be besides that.

Movie should be epic in scale but.....I fear PJ has altered the ending even more. Trailer showed too much of Legolas, Tauriel and other events/characters not presented in the book. :(

10557142_705766726125602_4828482954779498173_o.jpg

For the love of god Sideshow make this PF already!!!! :rock

Just saw the trailer, looks pretty cool!
The Hobbit doesn't grab me as much as the LOTR did back then, but I still very much look forward to this movie.

I watched the trailer with the sound off the first time I saw it and I thought "****ing A, this is awesome!" Then when I re-watched it with the sound on I got all goosebumpy and emotional. Pippin's song will do that. I love the Hobbit but this just proves beyond a shadow of a doubt how Lord of the Rings is special for me.

Back