The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PJ WAS done with Middle Earth- he WAS NOT supposed to direct the Hobbit films...you all know the story...I think his true enthusiasm and talent went into making LOTR trilogy and that was that. Frankly he is brilliant but searching for something to rekindle that excitement. I think ALOT of the Hobbit films show technical skills and coming up with new ways to stage action scenes but alot also seems like going through the motions..

From everything I've seen I don't believe this to be true at all. I know for a fact he got emotional at comic-con when talking about being done with Middle-earth. He loves making these films and when people say otherwise they're passing off their issues without knowing anything.

He always said before Del Toro backed out that he didn't want to do the Hobbit because he didn't want to compete with himself. So after del toro left he probably felt compelled to take the reigns.

why wasn't he allowed?

I'm too lazy to look it up. This is from wiki:

Jackson's involvement in the making of a film version of The Hobbit has a long and chequered history. In November 2006, a letter from Peter Jackson and Fran Walsh stated that due to an ongoing legal dispute between Wingnut Films (Jackson's production company) and New Line Cinema, Jackson would not be directing the film.[SUP][39][/SUP] New Line Cinema's head Robert Shaye commented that Jackson "...will never make any movie with New Line Cinema again while I'm still working at the company...".[SUP][40][/SUP] This prompted an online call for a boycott of New Line Cinema,[SUP][41][/SUP] and by August 2007 Shaye was trying to repair his working relationship.[SUP][42][/SUP] On 18 December 2007, it was announced that Peter Jackson and New Line Cinema had reached agreement to make two prequels, both based on The Hobbit, and to be released in 2012 and 2013 with Jackson as a writer and executive producer and Guillermo del Toro directing.[SUP][43][/SUP][SUP][44][/SUP]
However, in early 2010, del Toro dropped out of directing the film because of production delays[SUP][45][/SUP] and a month later Jackson was back in negotiations to direct The Hobbit;[SUP][46][/SUP] and on 15 October he was finalised as the director[SUP][47][/SUP][SUP][48][/SUP]—with New Zealand confirmed as the location a couple of weeks later.[SUP][49][/SUP] The film started production on 20 March 2011. On 30 July 2012, Peter Jackson announced via his Facebook page that the two planned 'Hobbit' movies would be expanded into a trilogy. The third film will not act as a bridge between The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings films, but would continue to expand The Hobbit story by using material found in the Lord of the Rings Appendices.[SUP][50[/SUP]

LOTR was no ordinary production, it had to take it's toll on everyone involved. You just cant pour so much of yourself into something for such a long time without needing to replenish yourself. And even if The Hobbit is a different story, it has to feel a bit like your treading on familiar territory again, and I just don't see how he could put as much effort into it the second time around.

Don't get me wrong, he has done a great job in my eyes, but to me The Hobbit isnt as revelatory as LOTR and just couldnt be. If I were Jackson, even though I loved the material with every fiber of my being, I would just feel burned out by now and have the need to move on to something else.

LOTR was no ordinary production, it had to take it's toll on everyone involved. You just cant pour so much of yourself into something for such a long time without needing to replenish yourself. And even if The Hobbit is a different story, it has to feel a bit like your treading on familiar territory again, and I just don't see how he could put as much effort into it the second time around.

Don't get me wrong, he has done a great job in my eyes, but to me The Hobbit isnt as revelatory as LOTR and just couldnt be. If I were Jackson, even though I loved the material with every fiber of my being, I would just feel burned out by now and have the need to move on to something else.

I'm sure it did. If you noticed, he dropping his weight back down. He must be a nervous eater.

:wink1:
All I know is this:

LOTR EE TRILOGY = BEST MOVIES EVER MADE.

Good to hear and glad you are recovering nicely after losing your gold tooth and green skin:horror I thought we lost you for good man

I don't know how many of you will want to check this out. A little video tour I did of the Weta booth during Comic-Con. Has a couple moments where the phone didn't focus like it should but it came out ok.

I saw Guardians of the Galaxy today and beforehand during the trailers things mess up and I only see a still from The Hobbit. The screen is white for a bit then comes back on and they reshow that damn Annie trailer (that's awful looking) and they never did show The Hobbit one.

:mad:

I wish they could squeeze one more army into the battle and call this movie "The Battle of the Six Armies".

Would make it even more awesome.

Last edited:
Back