Asmus Toys: Gandalf the White

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ended up cancelling this one. I really want to like it, but I am just not there. I feel like at this price point it needs to deliver more. I will wait for some more in hand pictures.

I ended up cancelling this one. I really want to like it, but I am just not there. I feel like at this price point it needs to deliver more. I will wait for some more in hand pictures.

I cancelled mine as well :(

What really killed it for me is his expression, it's dead. I can't see any emotion in his face - anger, surprise, joy, etc.

I had really high hopes for this line but with him and Eowyn (who I think looks awful), I'm sad, really wanted to love this

I cancelled mine as well :(

What really killed it for me is his expression, it's dead. I can't see any emotion in his face - anger, surprise, joy, etc.

I had really high hopes for this line but with him and Eowyn (who I think looks awful), I'm sad, really wanted to love this
You mean the neutral look that 95% of sculpts have? If anything I think this expression fits Gandalf perfectly. I honestly can't see all the complaints on this. Head sculpt is easily identifiable on who it it. Outfit looks like the same material that was shown at prototype stage. Outfit needs futzed yes but so do many. It's a shame so many are canceling. I figure it won't take many non sellers to end this line.

Last edited:
You mean the neutral look that 95% of sculpt have? If anything I think this expression fots Gandalf perfectly. I honestly can't see all the complaints on this. Head cult is easily identifiable on who it it. Outfit looks like the same material that was shown at prototype stage. Outfit needs futzed yes but so do many. It's a shame so many are canceling. I figure it won't take many non sellers to end this line.

I can't make $180 purchases just to save a line. I want this line to succeed and I will continue to support it when a figure suits me. For $180 there are some quality issues I have with it that I just cannot shake. The vest thread is too dark, we were told it would be lightened but it still is way too dark. The sculpt looks ok, but the hair is bothering me. It is like Elvis stated... it just looks like unfinished clay.

Look at hot toys figures that are in the $200 range and the quality that you get, this is a large contrast! There are also a lot of figures coming out this fall, and I need to make wise choices. This one among the others just does not make the cut... My mind could change, but right now its where I stand.

Last edited:
You mean the neutral look that 95% of sculpts have? If anything I think this expression fits Gandalf perfectly. I honestly can't see all the complaints on this. Head sculpt is easily identifiable on who it it. Outfit looks like the same material that was shown at prototype stage. Outfit needs futzed yes but so do many. It's a shame so many are canceling. I figure it won't take many non sellers to end this line.

Neutral sculpts are fine, something is missing from his face, life. He looks like he's just been stabbed and is falling backward dead. Sorry but I was very excited about this until the latest pics. If I see more in hand pics and I like it, I'll buy it, no harm done.

I think Asmus is making awesome progress, but something changed from his prototype to production and I don't like it. Like jra said, I will still support the line if something comes along that I like. For now, I pass

Also take a look at the Star Ace Harry potter that is coming out. It has the same price point as this, but look at how refined the sculpt, accessories and tailoring are! They are relatively new to the scene as well, but they appear to be rocking it! This sculpt, especially in the hair needs some refining.

Also take a look at the Star Ace Harry potter that is coming out. It has the same price point as this, but look at how refined the sculpt, accessories and tailoring are! They are relatively new to the scene as well, but they appear to be rocking it! This sculpt, especially in the hair needs some refining.

You know that is what is bothering me the most on Asmus product. Refinement!
FOr the orc rough things looks good cause it's how they are are. But for the human that is another thing. In general everything looks unrefined and rough. Tailoring is ok but the headsculpt looks rough as hell. That is my main grip especially for the price.

You know that is what is bothering me the most on Asmus product. Refinement!
FOr the orc rough things looks good cause it's how they are are. But for the human that is another thing. In general everything looks unrefined and rough. Tailoring is ok but the headsculpt looks rough as hell. That is my main grip especially for the price.
I know I'm beating a dead horse here so I'll give it a break after this. I just can't see how someone thinks this sculpt has no character, is unrefined, or even that the hair doesn't look good. asm-gandalf-head4.jpg

Well just look how the hair looks on the side. There is some visible gap and compared to the sculpting on the beard the hair is seriously lacking some details, add the sloppy paintjob on the hair and it's what I called unrefined.

I know I'm beating a dead horse here so I'll give it a break after this. I just can't see how someone thinks this sculpt has no character, is unrefined, or even that the hair doesn't look good.View attachment 127973

Blandalf looks like a very amateur sculpt. If this was a somebody's personal custom attempt at sculpting I'd say it's ok, but a fully licensed professional sculpt? Unacceptable.

Well just look how the hair looks on the side. There is some visible gap and compared to the sculpting on the beard the hair is seriously lacking some details, add the sloppy paintjob on the hair and it's what I called unrefined.

The problem is with those pieces of hair hanging down on the sides of his beard, they're separate pieces just stuck on and I think they look pretty bad. I don't really have a problem with the sculpt looking like McKellen but to me, it lacks something

Enough with the Blandalf nonsense. We've got a company posting and being a part of this community. Either be respectful or you can get gone. Your choice.

Also the hair in general I see some chunkiness in the paint and or sculpt. I have no problem with sculpted strands of hair as long as it looks seamless... look at the Hot Toys Jokers. Also the outfit could have been done in a much better weighted fabric, and I am bothered by the vest detail, the thread looks so dark, it isn't even close to its on-screen counterpart. It also lacks some majorly important sleeve tailoring. I will be curious to see if anyone tries bleaching the vest. I think the embroidery details are nice, just completely the wrong color. I think no matter who or what company attacked this figure it is a complete challenge. An all white costume is not an easy undertaking by any means.

gand1.jpg

Also the hair in general I see some chunkiness in the paint and or sculpt. I have no problem with sculpted strands of hair as long as it looks seamless... look at the Hot Toys Jokers. Also the outfit could have been done in a much better weighted fabric, and I am bothered by the vest detail, the thread looks so dark, it isn't even close to its on-screen counterpart. It also lacks some majorly important sleeve tailoring. I will be curious to see if anyone tries bleaching the vest. I think the embroidery details are nice, just completely the wrong color. I think no matter who or what company attacked this figure it is a complete challenge. An all white costume is not an easy undertaking by any means.

gandalf_zps215ba7e3.jpg

I had zero complaints about this sculpt, not sure why it was changed. The hair was so much better too, blended together and looked great. The expression was 100x better vs the newer sculpt, he has life behind those eyes.

I agree with you on the all white costume not being an easy thing to pull off. If you use white string, it may look bland, if you use dark string, people with complain. I think at this scale, it's hard to see the fine detail except in person but I think Asmus would have done better to use all white material/stitching

I feel a bit disapointed. Face doesn't do anything for me he looks kinda odd. The worst is the hair IMO it looks like some bits of clay waiting to be sculpted.
I wanted to buy it but decided to pass.
Your gandalf is LEAPS and BOUNDS better. Post a pic of it so people can see Seb.

The production sculpt does not match up with the preview sculpt, it does look squished. The clothes look really good except for the chest pattern. The thread should be white not silver. It does not matter if it is visible from 10 feet away.

Blandalf looks like a very amateur sculpt. If this was a somebody's personal custom attempt at sculpting I'd say it's ok, but a fully licensed professional sculpt? Unacceptable.

I Agree Especially at the prices were paying for these figures.

Sure reading some serious Asmus bashing lately on the Gandalf...from the same folks who are heaping praise on the Tonner Aragorn from ACI.

Back