Asmus Toys: Gandalf the White

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Embrodery isn't bad, but they should have used a less invasive (and all white) pattern just like they did on the shirt. Everything should have been much smaller than it is:
Gandalf_c_cal.jpg

Yeah, I imagine Asmus was trying to get it to pop at this scale. It's incredibly difficult if not impossible to capture the pattern at this scale using stitching. I'm sure in hand, this will look less pronounced.

All in all, it's looks like a very good representation of the character. Could a one-off customized figure look better? Sure, but that can be said about any mass produced figure on the market practically.

[/ATTACH]View attachment 128339

Hope that helps

Well that is definitely the better look I think! It hides some of the nice tailoring detail but it works.

The silver embroidery doesn't seem too bad. The darker color around the collar area I think is what is throwing it off for so many. It looks like, and DC has mentioned it, that it doesn't look like thread. Looks like a dyed pattern. Not saying it's right but that's probably the reason it wasn't changed. Asmus probably had the fabric already made that way and it would have been cost prohibitive to change it. Anyone have thoughts on what would happen if the vest was bleached a couple of times?

This I am not sure of. If the black on the vest is painted I would not recommend bleaching. It may turn an unflattering yellowish color or just plain peel off. I had that issue when I dyed some ghostbusters suits. Is the black indeed a painted on pattern and not thread?

All in all, it's looks like a very good representation of the character. Could a one-off customized figure look better? Sure, but that can be said about any mass produced figure on the market practically.

Agreed...Can't wait to get my hands on GTW!
(but I need to solve the vest problem somehow)

I think the best way to tone down the black is to use diluted white acrylics. That is what i'm going to do.

Avoid bleaching it at all cost, you will have a yellow/orange vest.

I'm ready to buy these guys as the GI Joe line died. Not that it was superior to this license just funding was...

Where can you buy this line or who are some reliable e-retailers to pick these guys up from? Do they have a legit online store? If so I can't find it.... in which case.. I semi-apologize for asking the question.

I'm ready to buy these guys as the GI Joe line died. Not that it was superior to this license just funding was...

Where can you buy this line or who are some reliable e-retailers to pick these guys up from? Do they have a legit online store? If so I can't find it.... in which case.. I semi-apologize for asking the question.
I've personally ordered from Big Blue Toy Store and Cotswold Collectibles in the past. I have Eowyn as my first order with Urban Samurai. There are some others I haven't dealt with. I'm not sure where you're from. I think Once Sixth Bruce carries Asmus. I think they are in England?

I've personally ordered from Big Blue Toy Store and Cotswold Collectibles in the past. I have Eowyn as my first order with Urban Samurai. There are some others I haven't dealt with. I'm not sure where you're from. I think Once Sixth Bruce carries Asmus. I think they are in England?

Thanks BIG time for the reply. I'm Canadian so Urban Samurai might be who I'll go with...although I've never actually ordered from them before.

Probably wouldn't be hard to whittle one out of wood or use super sculpey to make one.

Yep, pretty straight forward. I think that might be the best look for this figure; cool, contemplating Gandalf.

That is, unless the black lines on the collar of the vest can be dulled with a little acrylic wash like Elvis suggested. I'm sure that will work for the skilled.

I've always heard good things about Urban Samurai. I think they are also the cheapest as of now.

All I have heard is good things about them. My first order with them is the Ringwraith and Steed so I cannot speak of my own experience yet. I would have gotten Eowyn through them too but they were sold out at least temporarily when I tried yesterday.

Back