Asmus Toys: Gandalf the White

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've seen enough pictures now to confirm that there is some 'squishing' going on with Gandalf's face. I'm hoping in person it is not as severe as the pictures (Fool's hope as he would say).

Again, if you look at where the neck would be, that ridiculous distance I believe is accentuating the visual issue.

I don't think the hair sculpt is helping the face any, either. A little thicker, and I think the face wouldn't appear so narrow.

I've seen enough pictures now to confirm that there is some 'squishing' going on with Gandalf's face. I'm hoping in person it is not as severe as the pictures (Fool's hope as he would say).

Again, if you look at where the neck would be, that ridiculous distance I believe is accentuating the visual issue.

It looks like the hair could allow for some neck shortening, I look forward to seeing people's mods.

are the shorter necks from either sideshow prometheus bodies or hot toys compatible for asmus new body?

It is squished. I received it last week and was disappointed. I was a little worried form the protoype pics, but hoped it would still turn out. Something had to happen during the manufacturing process to elongate the head. Unless it always was narrow; we just couldn't tell because the proto shots were mostly all from an upper angle, hiding the narrow face. I'm a portrait artist and have drawn Gandalf a few times for the Hobbit trading cards; and from my experience, his face needs to be wider on this sculpt. It's definitely noticeable in person unfortunately. I'm trying to decide if I want to keep it or not. I appreciate all the work Asmus is doing on this line, I just wish they had caught this issue before release.

I remember a side by side pic of the original headsculpt with the Santa beard next to an altered beard head sculpt. In my opinion that is when it narrowed, at least that's how it looked to me. Gothmog seemed a little narrow as well. Hope Asmus can get a handle on this. I absolutely loved the original sculpt, Santa beard and all.

Gandalf.jpg

Sorry image so big. Is it ok to post this image here with it being labeled by someone else?

Last edited:
Well yes, there's a little and negligible issue with the head width. But on the other hand I'm looking at the Gandalf the White PF, weta statues and busts. If we make a comparison, this one looks like a miracle. I'm just talking about the gandalf the White products by the way.

I'm waiting for someone to come up with a head expansion trick. Maybe drilling out and stuffing in something to stretch it, or heating it up and manipulating the plastic. I'm sure there has to be something. Of course you could also end up making it worse. Maybe if some loose ones show up it will be worth experimenting.

I'm waiting for someone to come up with a head expansion trick. Maybe drilling out and stuffing in something to stretch it, or heating it up and manipulating the plastic. I'm sure there has to be something. Of course you could also end up making it worse. Maybe if some loose ones show up it will be worth experimenting.

Sideshow did a nice expanding head with the Nathan Drake figure. That was eyeball inserts though.

I suppose you could core out the head and wedge a toothpick inside to push the ears outward and gain width. I did that a long time ago to a sculpt and it worked quite well.

but what's the head made of? heard it was solid resin like.... I was under the impression that it was non-malleable...

Back