Should Bruce Willis stop starring in action movies?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, it's almost as strange as those saying T2 is better than T1. But you know, there are all kinds out there. . .you just pray every morning you don't run across some of them in a darkened alley. Because many of them are nut jobs, and who knows what they are capable of?
Next time you say something left of center about OT SW..

Angry-Han-Solo.jpg

I'm gonna come down on you harder than a ton of bricks. :lol

T1 is totally better.

I do not object to this statement.

surprised-cat-o.gif

Seriously though, best sequels of all time are Empire Strikes Back, The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, and Godfather 2. I love Aliens more, but objectively it's not at the level of those other films.

You should fix the title...

Should Bruce Willis stop acting in movies?
I still think he's a good actor, with a level of charisma and ability that others don't have. Looper wouldn't have been as good as it was with another actor in that role. But the question really is whether he should do the types of films he is clearly bored with, and as a result don't do much for him or the audience (crappy action movies, Kevin Smith comedies, etc.).

Seriously though, best sequels of all time are Empire Strikes Back, The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, and Godfather 2. I love Aliens more, but objectively it's not at the level of those other films.

He put T1 ahead without feeling a need to piss on T2. I'm down with that. Hell I myself voted for T1 in at least one of the many polls this forum has had.

He put T1 ahead without feeling a need to piss on T2. I'm down with that. Hell I myself voted for T1 in at least one of the many polls this forum has had.

I look at T2 the same as Aliens. Both are fantastic films in their own right, but they're outside the genre of the first films, pushing them out of horror and into action. Saying they're "better" than the original films is really comparing apples to oranges. Yes, they're both fruit, or in this case, "SciFi," but not really comparable beyond that.

You know I didn't ever hear anyone really make complaints about McClane when we had 1-3. It was in 4 people say he changed. Same goes with Indy. It's just today's day and age, the people making the movies have so much ability to do things with CGI they probably shouldn't and they all always get carried away. With action movies like these where it's more about the man than the episodic and formulaic sequel plots, I'm always going to prefer watching a stuntman actually risk his life to wow me with something that can actually be accomplished by people rather than a hollow and empty cgi video game cutscene. In 1984 I can't imagine Lucas could have even accomplished something like the monkey crap in crystal skull if he wanted.

But having an actor or person in danger, that is reasonable, gives them alot more room to act and express emotion to connect with the scene and give you the sense of fear. CGI where the actors not even there and it's just pixels will never have that same outcome for me having grown up on practical stuff. The scene above with McClane jumping off the roof is a perfect example. Or even just think of Raiders when Indy jumps the chasm and grabs that vine, the expression on his face and the way it changes as he slips. Compare it to say the CGI scene from Pirates 3 of Jack sword fighting on top of a ship's mast while all the main characters are in danger and being sucked into a rainy maelstrom and I feel nothing for any of them because it's all just animation all the sudden.
And this is where DH now manages to fail yet again because even though they go the practical route, Bruce just phones it in. :lol :gah:

I look at T2 the same as Aliens. Both are fantastic films in their own right, but they're outside the genre of the first films, pushing them out of horror and into action. Saying they're "better" than the original films is really comparing apples to oranges. Yes, they're both fruit, or in this case, "SciFi," but not really comparable beyond that.

Well said. :exactly:

Well said. :exactly:

I liked it as it allows for both Aliens and T2 to be recognised as the great films they are instead of being shat on by those who feel that their preferance for Alien and T1 has to entail the pissing all over the sequels. Piss on T3, T4, the AvPs and Alien Resurrection all you want - but the other films are worthy follow-ups. They are recognised as such by a great many people all over the world.

Back