Legendary Pictures' GODZILLA - !!SPOILERS!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I saw Godzilla in the theater I was captivated but kind of let down based on my expectations of Godzilla being the main bad guy and it being more frightening, etc., etc.

Watched it again on blu today with adjusted expectations and loved it! There's so much I like now! I don't feel like it was lacking so much this time in "civilian panic" scenes. The Hawaii and Golden Gate bridge scenes were brilliant IMO. The quiet rushing of the tsunami was very ominous, as were a number of human POV shots from inside buildings, monorails, school buses, etc.

And one thing I really loved about the movie was how the destruction was depicted in the media. Just quiet breaking news on TV screens in the background. Some people were glued to it and many others were just going about their lives. Which is honestly how I think our planet would really react to kaiju in this day and age! 9/11 really popped our modern nation's cherry with regard to real time live destruction. And really, is Godzilla much more horrifying than that? If you're at ground zero yes but otherwise...I'm not so sure. :lol I just really liked how people's reactions were portrayed.

There seemed to be a number of homages throughout. Jurassic Park, ALIENS, Close Encounters, hell I even think I heard the Carbon Freezing Chamber noise when the bay doors to the cargo plane opened right before the big skydiving scene.

I didn't feel like the movie was one big tease either. The first MUTO shows up about 30 minutes in, not the longest wait for movies that aren't rushing things, then it goes to Hawaii, Godzilla shows up, then Vegas, then the train on the bridge, then the Golden Gate bridge followed by the big San Francisco finale. I just felt like it had a lot of monster action and as much as I pined for each Godzilla appearance he always satisfied when he did arrive, and with each "aw man" when he would leave it was just that much more exciting when he'd return. And he returned a lot!

It was just cool. Best Godzilla design ever IMO and the one word that popped into my mind when the movie wrapped up was "respectable." After 60 years we actually have a Godzilla movie that is respectable as a real movie. I know there are a lot of die hard fans of the Toho stuff but come on, other than the 54 original, its all just goofy schlock. But this new movie is the real deal. I hope that Edwards doesn't have a knee jerk reaction to all the "we didn't see enuf monsterz!" posts and pull a MOS with too much action for the sequel and no story to back it up.

Keep this up and next thing you know, you'll be doing cartwheels over the Special Editions. :lol

When I saw Godzilla in the theater I was captivated but kind of let down based on my expectations of Godzilla being the main bad guy and it being more frightening, etc., etc.

Watched it again on blu today with adjusted expectations and loved it! There's so much I like now! I don't feel like it was lacking so much this time in "civilian panic" scenes. The Hawaii and Golden Gate bridge scenes were brilliant IMO. The quiet rushing of the tsunami was very ominous, as were a number of human POV shots from inside buildings, monorails, school buses, etc.

And one thing I really loved about the movie was how the destruction was depicted in the media. Just quiet breaking news on TV screens in the background. Some people were glued to it and many others were just going about their lives. Which is honestly how I think our planet would really react to kaiju in this day and age! 9/11 really popped our modern nation's cherry with regard to real time live destruction. And really, is Godzilla much more horrifying than that? If you're at ground zero yes but otherwise...I'm not so sure. :lol I just really liked how people's reactions were portrayed.

There seemed to be a number of homages throughout. Jurassic Park, ALIENS, Close Encounters, hell I even think I heard the Carbon Freezing Chamber noise when the bay doors to the cargo plane opened right before the big skydiving scene.

I didn't feel like the movie was one big tease either. The first MUTO shows up about 30 minutes in, not the longest wait for movies that aren't rushing things, then it goes to Hawaii, Godzilla shows up, then Vegas, then the train on the bridge, then the Golden Gate bridge followed by the big San Francisco finale. I just felt like it had a lot of monster action and as much as I pined for each Godzilla appearance he always satisfied when he did arrive, and with each "aw man" when he would leave it was just that much more exciting when he'd return. And he returned a lot!

It was just cool. Best Godzilla design ever IMO and the one word that popped into my mind when the movie wrapped up was "respectable." After 60 years we actually have a Godzilla movie that is respectable as a real movie. I know there are a lot of die hard fans of the Toho stuff but come on, other than the 54 original, its all just goofy schlock. But this new movie is the real deal. I hope that Edwards doesn't have a knee jerk reaction to all the "we didn't see enuf monsterz!" posts and pull a MOS with too much action for the sequel and no story to back it up.

So you didn't have a problem with darkened scenes on your copy. I guess it's not all copies then :rock2

So you didn't have a problem with darkened scenes on your copy. I guess it's not all copies then :rock2

No the dark scenes were fine on the 3D edition at least. One part I particularly like was when Brody was laying down after killing the eggs and Godzilla collapsed in front of him. Movies like this often have a moment where the main human character and monster face each other and I really liked that they didn't make them have some little connection where Brody nods solemnly at Godzilla while Godzilla lets out some sort of sympathetic growl. It was very cool that Brody just looked at him with quiet awe, Godzilla seemed to make eye contact out of nothing more than trivial curiosity, and that was it.

No the dark scenes were fine on the 3D edition at least. One part I particularly like was when Brody was laying down after killing the eggs and Godzilla collapsed in front of him. Movies like this often have a moment where the main human character and monster face each other and I really liked that they didn't make them have some little connection where Brody nods solemnly at Godzilla while Godzilla lets out some sort of sympathetic growl. It was very cool that Brody just looked at him with quiet awe, Godzilla seemed to make eye contact out of nothing more than trivial curiosity, and that was it.

I love that moment and especially the music, it was a perfect shared moment between two worn out heroes fighting for survival. I really wish the soundtrack had that music.

And both Bruce and Godzilla left their city in shambles and headed out across the water for an extended vacay! :panic:

Maybe Joseph Gordon Levitt can play Godzukey in the sequel.

TDKR and Godzilla also had nukes going off shore and miraculously not having and affect on the folks on land.

Both TKDR and Godzilla had a male and female villain and of course the midget male dies like a ***** first.

.........godzilla really is Rises :rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

There were also many years of peace before the movie because of a lie (Dent Act/Bikini Island nuke "tests.")

Plus the main human character was bitter about losing both of his parents... Okay I'll stop. :lol

Godzilla 3 better not be anything like TDKR. :lol

3177493_orig.jpg

I rented Godzilla from Hastings and thanks to my early return credits, it was free! :p

Bought the Bluray today since I missed the movie in the theaters--watched it tonight and loved it! I liked the build-up to seeing Godzilla and his finishing move on the last MUTO ****ing rocked! It was like any other reboot/origin film in terms of not having enough of what I really wanted to see but now they can let loose in the following releases (hopefully). I also really liked that the story didn't have Godzilla vs. Humans as the plot. Would I liked to have seen more monster-fighting action? Of course. However, I was happy with what was in it--if anything because it finally took the focus away from human characters I couldn't give a **** about. I watched the honest trailer after the movie and was cracking up over every comment about the human characters. I'll watch it again in a few days while I'm recouping from getting shots in my spine.

:clap:goodpost::clap

I'm still living in the past so I picked up the regular DVD at Target today for $16.99. :lol

nothing wrong with dvds!

(I live in the past as well :hi5:)

besides I don't see the point of spending money on Blu Ray if in a few years everything will just be digital. whats the point :lol

nothing wrong with dvds!

(I live in the past as well :hi5:)

besides I don't see the point of spending money on Blu Ray if in a few years everything will just be digital. whats the point :lol

Ultra Violet, but still gotta have my blu ray.

Got the 3D version from BB as well as the comic Godzilla Awakening. I've read only the first 6 pages so far and its pretty good.

Back