Legendary Pictures' GODZILLA - !!SPOILERS!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So much competition this summer I think. I go to the movies a lot and even I havent seen everything ive wanted to.

And yeah toho is not stomping all over this American Godzilla.

Yeah, I don't get why the studios haven't quite figured it out yet that they don't need to wait until Summer to release blockbusters. If anything, that hurts them now. With a new one every week, you get 1 weekend to make your money because after that, everyone is moving on to the next one the following week and you're picking up scraps at that point. The reason the first Hunger Games did so well is because it had ZERO competition for like a solid month. If you wanted to go to a movie that March, it was Hunger Games or nothing but dull comedies and small films. If they spread out blockbusters more, they'd make more in theaters.

Godzilla should be proud, it made it into the last spot on the 200 million domestic list for 2014.

All the domestic 200 million and over movies for 2014:

1 Captain America: The Winter Soldier BV $259,766,572
2 The LEGO Movie WB $257,749,270
3 Transformers: Age of Extinction Par. $243,439,603
4 Maleficent BV $237,011,221
5 Guardians of the Galaxy BV $234,253,857
6 X-Men: Days of Future Past Fox $232,603,581
7 Dawn of the Planet of the Apes Fox $202,860,970
8 The Amazing Spider-Man 2 Sony $202,853,933
9 Godzilla (2014) WB $200,626,327

So happy that Godzilla crossed that 200 million mark and 500 million WW! There is obvious fan support/following for the King! Basically this ensures Godzilla will be around for years to come! I've been a fan since 1976! Just imagine what Godzilla films will come in the next 20 years! :rock

Golden Gate Bridge 1080p HD

15014015192_413c8c201e_c.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/maulfan/sets/72157646376322180/

Anyone else have absolutely zero engagement with any of the human characters in this movie? It was kind of passive this way, and I don't feel like any characters, including the monsters were really developed enough.

They introduced Walter White, which I could get behind, then he's gone. After that point, I just don't care about any one character more than any other - they're all just random faces. Kick-Ass' appearance in this movie was superfluous and only kept me looking for an appearance from Hit Girl.

Watched this last night. Apparently it wasn't just my TV as others noticed it's very dark. It got rather silly that every time the monsters were shown it was night time. Just seemed like they knew the monsters didn't look realistic so they covered them in fog and darkness. On top of that, I thought it was rather lame that each time you thought they were going to fight, it cut away. It seemed to be a pretty good movie up until the middle, then once the "tricks" became obvious, cutting away from fights, covering them in darkness, the movie was just spinning its wheels to get to the big fight at the end.

They introduced Walter White, which I could get behind, then he's gone. After that point, I just don't care about any one character more than any other - they're all just random faces. Kick-Ass' appearance in this movie was superfluous and only kept me looking for an appearance from Hit Girl.
It's what I believe to be the main problem with this movie. I'm perfectly fine with how they handled the monsters screentime. They wanted to mimic the way monster flicks were handled long ago, which is totally fine IF you handle the other side of the story properly. In order for it to work, the monsters side of the story has to piggy back on another strong story so that the journey to the finale isn't boring, which this movie fails to do.
I think their biggest mistake was making Bryan just a marketing actor instead of having him as the main human character. Heck, if they planned on killing him off so early they should have just kept him out of this one and saved him for the sequel.

This sounds like an intensely frustrating film. I still haven't seen it. Perhaps it's as well if I don't bother.
Just wait for the Monster Edit version where someone will compile a 30 minute short with just the scenes with the monsters. Considering doing it myself now that I think about it. Even with the BR copy I find myself skipping around just to see the monsters. I can't bare multiple viewings of the other stuff.

Back