Is there any John Carter Merchandise? At all?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aside from the planet being Mars (and even that is being relative in nature considering it could have been Mars of 1 billion years ago) I don't think there's anything naive about it.

By naive I am referring to what we knew about Mars at the time it was written. Astronomers believed there were canals of water on Mars which fueled the imagination that there could have been life and it certainly inspired Burroughs though his Mars is quite a bit different from the Red Planet. There isn't a breathable atmosphere for humans, there certainly is not the forrests and vegetation that were in his books. It was pure naive fantasy and I loved that not only about his books and the period in which they were written but also Stanton's film.

I'm also disappointed by the lack of collectibles from this movie..

I loved the movie, it had a "matinee" feel to it. It was a grand adventure that nobody wanted to watch.

It was kinda similar to "Lone Ranger" in tone and style. They are both "happy-go-lucky" light hearted adventures.

JC was a 10/10 for me. Lone Ranger 5/10. Just sayin'.

I'm just surprised that it being a Disney film and all the marketing/hype, it didn't do better.

The marketing for this movie was the worst I've seen, because I didn't see it at all. It was just there playing at my local theater and there was nothing else playing at the time so I just took the risk and went in.

I really liked this movie. I thought it was great and a lot of fun.

But I understand why it failed. The movie was too big. it was too expensive, and marketing was ridiculously awful.

I loved John Carter. It was an incredibly fun film, and it breaks my heart that something like this can bomb and never be revisited, while Dances with the Blue Man Group of the Cat people of Ferngully winds up being one of the highest grossing films of all time.

I loved John Carter. It was an incredibly fun film, and it breaks my heart that something like this can bomb and never be revisited, while Dances with the Blue Man Group of the Cat people of Ferngully winds up being one of the highest grossing films of all time.

:exactly::goodpost:

There's a slew of articles online as to why JC bombed. Look them up, they're pretty interesting, actually. I for one really enjoyed it. I expected nothing and I was pleasantly surprised with it. The same thing happened with Prince of Persia, only that I thought would be terrible and it turned out not to be.

I've read All the Barsoom series, and found the movie to be much better;far less prejudiced(Burroughs was a product of his time and geography)and more forward thinking(Dejah kicked ***!). As to the lack of marketing, blame it on the Lucas deal.Disney has been lusting after the Star Wars franchise since 1978.Halfway through JC's production Lucas lets them know he might sell.BANG! They lose all interest in any original SF properties.Thus does the Barsoom franchise descend to an ignominious fate.Sad...PS

This is almost everything they released:

tcHHSGe.jpg

I've made a few things of my own though since there wasn't much in the way of toys:

PLccnxi.jpg

ImsaG8E.jpg

YsffNfr.jpg

and some paper toys:

https://www.cubeecraft.com/cubee/john-carter

328a.png
329-2a.png

I've read All the Barsoom series, and found the movie to be much better;far less prejudiced(Burroughs was a product of his time and geography)and more forward thinking(Dejah kicked ***!). As to the lack of marketing, blame it on the Lucas deal.Disney has been lusting after the Star Wars franchise since 1978.Halfway through JC's production Lucas lets them know he might sell.BANG! They lose all interest in any original SF properties.Thus does the Barsoom franchise descend to an ignominious fate.Sad...PS

The movie was very much geared to a modern audience. Dejah did kick ***! I fully enjoyed the movie, and sought out and read the books as well. I'm left wondering if there were investment ventures for the production. I cannot believe that any responsible party would drop a quarter of a billion dollars in the tank for any reason other than a tax writeoff. We can wait and hope someone else obtains the rights to the story that will do it some genuine justice.

I think the prevailing hteory is that JC was a holdover from the previous Disney brass and the (then) current brass had something to prove by letting it die on the vine. There are other stories, such as Stanton being very standoffish about the marketing and about sharing content....being perhaps overly reverent towards the material. The truth is probably, as always, somewhere in the middle.

Personally I really enjoyed the movie but I don't believe it stood a chance at garnering a huge audience, even with a better push.

I liked it enough to buy the Vinylmation set for less than the original cost of one when they went to the Parks Outlet Store.:)

I liked it enough to buy the Vinylmation set for less than the original cost of one when they went to the Parks Outlet Store.:)

I have the HT Truetype head. Maybe one day I'll get to that custom.

Haven't seen you around in awhile, Aero. Hope all is well! :duff

Back