The DCAU thread!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So.... saw my first "disappointing" DC AU flick last night. Saw it on the guide and thought I'd check it out, was pretty excited cause I really haven't seen much with Supes in it, but I didn't even make it all the way through the flick.

Anyways, Lex sets Superman up to get Super Sun Cancer and from there the whole movie goes full retard.... I can't even write a review for it wnithout sounding like I had a bad acid trip. this flick was so all over the place its like they scribed a bunch of thoughts from random 6 year olds hopped up on caffeine and somehow smashed them all into one Superman cartoon.

You mean All-Star Superman? Dude, are you serious? That's like, the greatest Superman story ever.

I just looked, it is called All Star Superman.

Yeah, it was crazy and all over the place. I had to leave for a few minutes and literally seemed like I was watching a different flick when I came back. :lol

I just looked, it is called All Star Superman.

Yeah, it was crazy and all over the place. I had to leave for a few minutes and literally seemed like I was watching a different flick when I came back. :lol

Oh man, maybe it wasn't the right time to watch movies for you? It's an excellent movie based off an excellent book. Maybe you should revisit it and give it another chance someday?

I've seen plenty of movies that I initially hated but gave a 2nd chance and find them enjoyable. One of them is Batman Returns. :lol

Anyway, All Star Superman isn't part of the DCAU, but it's easy to make that mistake.

Oh man, maybe it wasn't the right time to watch movies for you? It's an excellent movie based off an excellent book. Maybe you should revisit it and give it another chance someday?

I've seen plenty of movies that I initially hated but gave a 2nd chance and find them enjoyable. One of them is Batman Returns. :lol

Anyway, All Star Superman isn't part of the DCAU, but it's easy to make that mistake.

Well, heres what I got from it.... Super cancer...yadda yadda.... reveal to Lois...yadda yadda.... had to leave...came back and hes dicking around with Lex, actually bonding with Lex as Kent, which was cool, but I was thinking, seriously, this is how you're going to spend your last days? Then, I got called away again (which honestly almost never happens twice in one flick on nights) I come back and hes having contests with these other super dudes (time travelers?) and an egyptian guy shows up to test them with riddles, I thought maybe it was like the Hulk/Wolverine Hulk/Thor movie and it went to another movie, because it really felt like I was watching a different show at this point and I just turned my tablet off.

I'll probably give it a watch this weekend since I'm not working, maybe its something that just needs to be watched solid to get a grasp of it without the interruptions.

It's a fairly accurate adaptation of the book, which is, as Ryan said, probably one of the greatest Superman stories ever told, for the most part. I think every man's entitled to his own opinion, but I won't be surprised if you leave a few boardies sitting with their mouths agape.:lol

I thought it was only a three part mini? Seriously, though, DC needs to start kicking it old school. They've seen how people reacted to those shorts, and their department, as good as it is, has been in a bit of a slump, lately. My hope is that, if this is a return to the DCAU, they use it as a harbinger of bigger, more permanent things.

Hey folks, just wanted your input.

I have an opportunity to grab 'All Star Superman' on DVD pretty cheap - is that generally considered a good one?

I've heard bits & pieces about it - mostly good.

I liked it. It's worth watching, but not among the best DC animated films IMO. It's a throwback to the silver age Superman, with a "gritty" modern spin. Supposedly pretty close to the comics, though I never read them. It can't touch the silver age Superman throwbacks from Alan Moore--"Whatever Happened to the Man Tomorrow" and Supreme, but it would be unfair to really expect anything to do that. If you can get it for $5 or so, then I would say do it.

Cool, thanks Kara. :)

I really want to own some great DCAU stuff to counter the lack of good live action films that exist.

All I've really got at the moment are umpteen Batman animated releases, & a bunch of the old Fleischer Superman cartoons.

I bought a bunch of them used from GoHastings during one of their 30% off sales. Some of them are really excellent, rivaling the best live action comic stuff IMO.

Young Justice did that. . .

Wow, really? I gotta give that series a watch.

Hey folks, just wanted your input.

I have an opportunity to grab 'All Star Superman' on DVD pretty cheap - is that generally considered a good one?

I've heard bits & pieces about it - mostly good.

It's personally my second favorite Superman movie after the Donner original, the only complaint is that it might take you several viewings to appreciate it since it feels disjointed. Too bad it had to cut many stuff from the books, which I also love.

I really want to own some great DCAU stuff to counter the lack of good live action films that exist.

All I've really got at the moment are umpteen Batman animated releases, & a bunch of the old Fleischer Superman cartoons.

I think I have every DCAU shows and movies on DVD and blu, best thing ever! :lol

It's personally my second favorite Superman movie after the Donner original, the only complaint is that it might take you several viewings to appreciate it since it feels disjointed. Too bad it had to cut many stuff from the books, which I also love.

Yeah, it kinda does, I guess that's what happens when you try to summarize Morrison's stories :lol

They left some of my favorite parts out.

Btw good thing you started this thread :duff:

I'm excited to see what that new JL series is about.

If it's still useful.

I would recommend buying the books instead if you can find them for a similar price, the art by the great Frank Quitely is exquisitely sophisticated and the animation of the movie doesn't even come close, the writing is charged with meaning and theme, while in the movie the story is a pale and watered down adaptation of the books'.

Don't get me wrong, the movie is still one of the best Superman animated movies out there, it's just that the books are that much better, so if the price is good, don't hesitate.

Thanks Gaspar, more info is always helpful. :hi5:

:hi5: No problemo, here's a couple scans of the art...

You can feel Lex's hate... notice the spit on the cell glass :lol
All-Star-Superman_2.jpg

And this Clark, ahhh I love it...
AllStarSuperman03.jpg

Back