QMx Malcolm Reynolds 1/6 statue - Serenity/Firefly

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd have to agree that the pose and inclusion of the flag just don't work. Bummer as it's really well done, but I'd want Mal from when he's on Serenity, not during the war.

I agree, I really like the sculpt but the flag just doesn't work. If the flag wasn't there I would probably be getting on the waitlist!

IMO, as much as Mal is a browncoat through and through, he is not a flag bearer and never would have been even during the war. Just how I feel about the character.

I quite like the pose and the fact that he's holding the flag, it's as if he's leading the charge for one last stand or something. I do however wish they dirty up the flag a bit more. It seems a bit too bring and clean. I might actually customise this piece if they don't tweak the flag. (First statue I would have done any alterations to)
And thanks for the info on the company guys, much appreciated! I think the price for it is still quite reasonable. Less than a hot toy even! Just praying that the shipping cost is reasonable too!

The pose is great, with him standing on that rock, scouting ahead, but the arms are all wrong. The left should hang down at his side or hold onto his belt, while the right should be stretched out more and bent slightly inwards, instead of out. If this is not too expensive, then I'm getting it and doing this mod. That will bring it closer to the pose I imagined when I sculpted my own version - my first sculpt that is now entirely amateurish compared to what I can do now.

rhkt.jpg

Waitlisting like a mad motha

I can't believe so many people are having a problem with the flag, its totally and completely in line with the character. Mal carried that flag like a chip on his shoulder through the whole series. He carried on the fight against the Alliance even after the war. This statue to me isn't a scene out of Firefly, it's a scene within Mal himself.

Waitlisting like a mad motha

I can't believe so many people are having a problem with the flag, its totally and completely in line with the character. Mal carried that flag like a chip on his shoulder through the whole series. He carried on the fight against the Alliance even after the war. This statue to me isn't a scene out of Firefly, it's a scene within Mal himself.

Um. No.

His whole character profile was summed up by badger in the beginning of episode one if you were paying attention.

"Now you got yourself a ship and you're a Captain. Only I think you're still a Sergeant see? Still a soldier. Man of honor in a den of thieves."

IMO such flags are symbols of an ideology. Whether an ideology is rooted in idealistic principles like the independents (and I admit I'm too casual a fan to know that for a certainty, except for the general idea of protecting autonomy over a fascistic government), implementing an ideology successfully seems to always result in compromising one's independence. I think of that as the defining conflict of Mal's character, along with the extreme pessimism that came with the independent movement being crushed by the alliance. Both together results in post-Serenity valley Mal I think, whose focus now is on himself and his family - the crew. That's why him holding a flag - any flag - seems out of character to me. Just my opinion, but this statue can only represent him for the 10 minutes of that first episode opening sequence, before the battle's over.

His whole character profile was summed up by badger in the beginning of episode one if you were paying attention.

"Now you got yourself a ship and you're a Captain. Only I think you're still a Sergeant see? Still a soldier. Man of honor in a den of thieves."

I don't think Mal's a man of "honor". Kicks a guy through a rocket engine, doesn't hesitate to shoot first, rob a train, etc. Probably doesn't make Mal dishonorable either, he's simply his own man and his crew's captain, the point being to think that Badger understands what Mal is, I'm not sold on that.

The moment Mal was left on Serenity watching the ships leave his ass was the moment he would never wave any flag again. In the film, with his disdain for the not just the chemical Pax, but the theory of societal conformity also makes it seem out of character to be waving a flag.

Mal was in a moral grey area. Sure, he kicked a guy through a rocket engine, but that was to protect himself and his crew. Let's not forget about why he had to kick that guy through a train engine: He returned supplies he was supposed to steal from a town that needed it desperately.

Mal was in a moral grey area. Sure, he kicked a guy through a rocket engine, but that was to protect himself and his crew. Let's not forget about why he had to kick that guy through a train engine: He returned supplies he was supposed to steal from a town that needed it desperately.

My point isn't to argue Mal's morality. I'm just saying that I highly doubt Badger was a good judge of Mal's character either way because he grossly underestimated what Mal is willing to do for his crew. Mal isn't some upstanding do gooder with sense of "for flag and for country". Not anymore anyway.

My point isn't to argue Mal's morality. I'm just saying that I highly doubt Badger was a good judge of Mal's character either way because he grossly underestimated what Mal is willing to do for his crew. Mal isn't some upstanding do gooder with sense of "for flag and for country". Not anymore anyway.

But see now you're forgetting who put those words in Badger's mouth- Joss Whedon and the writers. This was the beginning of the pilot episode where characters are being developed for the viewer to better understand. Badger was merely a plot device to sum up Mal's personality in a quick couple of lines regarding his lingering attitudes about losing the war. This was so viewers like you and me would understand where Mal was coming from and go on to watch episode 2. This wasn't a point Badger was trying to get across to you, it was a point the writers were trying to get across to you. The "character" Badger said those lines because he got the sense that Mal thought he was better than him- no problem there.

The moment Mal was left on Serenity watching the ships leave his ass was the moment he would never wave any flag again. In the film, with his disdain for the not just the chemical Pax, but the theory of societal conformity also makes it seem out of character to be waving a flag.

He never saw the ships leave his ass, he looked to the sky and saw thousands of alliance ships flying up it. I doubt he felt abandoned, they were completely outclassed. He even said he was on the losing side, not the wrong one.

I don't know how you're trying to use the Pax and social conformity to apply to the Browncoats- that makes no sense. Do you think flags in general stand for oppression or something? A flag is not a society, a flag is an idea- an ideology... and I don't know how anybody can watch Firefly and not think that Mal is an idealist. I'll agree with you he lives for his crew now, but even thats part of the soldier in him. He stands up for Doc and River because they're "crew" -Just like in war he leaves no man behind.

Really I can't believe this is even up for debate, its in almost every episode. Mal hates God because he can't let go of the war. Mal picks fights with Alliance vets every Unification day for fun. Mal says he would rob the goods on the train out from under the noses of the Alliance troops for free. Doc gets his head knocked off by Mal for suggesting he's afraid of the alliance and probably wouldn't mind working for them. In the movie Jane almost fights Mal because of his vendetta, accusing him of letting his feelings for the alliance put all his friends in danger. Inara even pipes up, "this isn't the war Mal"

this is glaringly obvious, I don't get the opposition :slap

But see now you're forgetting who put those words in Badger's mouth- Joss Whedon and the writers. This was the beginning of the pilot episode where characters are being developed for the viewer to better understand. Badger was merely a plot device to sum up Mal's personality in a quick couple of lines regarding his lingering attitudes about losing the war. This was so viewers like you and me would understand where Mal was coming from and go on to watch episode 2. This wasn't a point Badger was trying to get across to you, it was a point the writers were trying to get across to you. The "character" Badger said those lines because he got the sense that Mal thought he was better than him- no problem there.

He never saw the ships leave his ass, he looked to the sky and saw thousands of alliance ships flying up it. I doubt he felt abandoned, they were completely outclassed. He even said he was on the losing side, not the wrong one.

I don't know how you're trying to use the Pax and social conformity to apply to the Browncoats- that makes no sense. Do you think flags in general stand for oppression or something? A flag is not a society, a flag is an idea- an ideology... and I don't know how anybody can watch Firefly and not think that Mal is an idealist. I'll agree with you he lives for his crew now, but even thats part of the soldier in him. He stands up for Doc and River because they're "crew" -Just like in war he leaves no man behind.

Really I can't believe this is even up for debate, its in almost every episode. Mal hates God because he can't let go of the war. Mal picks fights with Alliance vets every Unification day for fun. Mal says he would rob the goods on the train out from under the noses of the Alliance troops for free. Doc gets his head knocked off by Mal for suggesting he's afraid of the alliance and probably wouldn't mind working for them. In the movie Jane almost fights Mal because of his vendetta, accusing him of letting his feelings for the alliance put all his friends in danger. Inara even pipes up, "this isn't the war Mal"

this is glaringly obvious, I don't get the opposition :slap

I agree with everything you said, and bolded the main ideas just for emphasis, and the last paragraph of evidence from the show..

And yet, never once, does he wave a flag...hmm.

This isn't about be a soldier or fighting for a cause. It has to do with allegiance to an ENTITY or GOVERNMENT, which is what a flag also represents. He doesn't hold allegiance to whatever the organization or planet or whatever government this flag was. He maintains the ideology, not the governmental faction. You can be as hard core patriotic as can be, but you have to recognize that OFFICIALLY flags represent nations, not ideas, as societal ideas change over time the flag does not. As national organization and structure changes, the flag does change. Hence, when the USSR collapsed they don't use the flag any more officially and hence every time the US changes its political and social culture they don't change the flag. The Confederate states of America didn't create the stars and bars to represent ideology. It was created to represent their desired national sovereignty. People are of course free to attach personal ideology to the flag if they wish. I do see the stars and stripes to represent an ideology personally, but that's who I am as a proud American.

My personal opinion is Mal holds all the ideology but would not connect it physically to a flag because a flag ALSO too closely symbolizes the politicized governmental control which he abhors.

IMO the pax comes into play because he's anti-organized government control. If he's waving a flag, he's waving some governmental symbol.

There's a reason his coat doesn't carry a flag on it.

Last edited:
Back