Sideshow 1/6 Imperial Probe Droid

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ladies and gentlemen of the jury I present to you Exhibit A:

Yup it looks great! Hopefully it remains as good through years to come but our team simply didn't want to take the risk with a material that simply isn't durable enough. Glad folks are finding clear rods to use with their item and should anything occur with them then the metal rod can be used in the interim while a new clear rod is found/made and then attached again. :)

-SideshowAlex

Sorry but I'm really never in the know of how many pieces are being made for items without an ES. I usually found out an item is to sell out at the same time as y'all. :(

-SideshowAlex
Dang! There's my answer! Must... resist... urge to buy second, back-up probie...

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury I present to you Exhibit A:
Yup it looks great! Hopefully it remains as good through years to come but our team simply didn't want to take the risk with a material that simply isn't durable enough. Glad folks are finding clear rods to use with their item and should anything occur with them then the metal rod can be used in the interim while a new clear rod is found/made and then attached again. :)

-SideshowAlex
Yep, makes perfect sense. The clear rods are $10.00 for a 5 pack on e.Bay. Knock yourself out if you want them.

I've owned or handled pretty much every Sideshow release since the start of the SW license and I feel this thing in-hand is the best they have ever done. Why people were complaining about the paint finish earlier, I have no idea. Maybe it varies piece-by-piece, but the paint on mine - in hand - looks like metal, even up-close, and is a perfect match to what was on-screen.

I'm truly staggered by the articulation on this - "elbows", "wrists", claspers, "eyes"... it all works. And the use of smoky clear plastic for the eyes gives great depth and realism to the piece, seen more in-hand than in pics.

The figure is a little taller than I expected (had to reconfigure my shelves,) and a little harder to put together than I imagined. Those little devices that attach under it along with the legs are really tough to attach and not just that thin delicate one. One of mine wouldn't stay in the hole and kept dropping out. I also had difficulty separating the lower body to pull the clear tab so the sound can work (don't try this as the instructions suggest - it's risky - use needle nose pliers.)

And yes, the instructions are printed in microfilm and don't cover everything you need to know - thanks to jkno for posting that tutorial - it was a huge help and has probably saved SSC from some calls/e-mails.

The snow base is not terrific - it has some black overspray that doesn't quite look right when you are holding it, but from normal viewing distance it actually looks pretty great. When Hoth Han arrives, that thing is popped off the base for Han to lean onto.

But overall, all set up and with the light on, you own the Probe Droid from ESB. It's that simple. 10/10. Thank you Sideshow and congratulations on nailing this.

Excellent review, Talibane...this is truly an awesome piece. Constantly find myself staring at it....just jammed with so much detail.

Bring it.

radar-laser1.jpgAtgarptower.jpgHoth_Dish_Turret.JPG

Wow! The clear rod make this thing look more expensive than what Sideshow charged us for. :lol

One question though. How durable can an acrylic rod be?

A solid acrylic rod is durable enough to hold a massive Icons TIE Fighter studio scale

Icons TIE Fighter 02.jpg

Just so you know gents, hollow pipe or tubing is actually less likely to buckle than solid rod.
It has a greater axial compressive strength when it's hollow rather than solid.

This thing isn't heavy enough to warrant concern over that though, but I have seen it discussed previously.

I unpacked mine earlier, must say it's a beautiful thing. I've always totally loved the design of this. And I'm actually very impressed with it overall.
Sure the rocks on the base could do with a bit of a repaint, but the probe itself is very good IMO, HT quality at least.

Good question! The Probe Droid did not have a clear rod included in the product due to such material being less durable than other materials (such as metal). Yes, the probe droid isn't that heavy of a product but we didn't want to include a rod that could start sagging over time. The metal rod (though folks do not like the look of it) is much more durable material.

-SideshowAlex

Thank you for letting us know that option for a clear rod has been considered.

I might probably paint it white if I do decide to display the Prode Droid against a white backdrop.

No kidding. I come in here to check on pictures and all I see is talk about rods. No wonder SW threads get such a bad wrap.

The clear rod is a good way of displaying this great piece, in fact a better way than what SSC has offered. That is why people are interested in it so much, and not just on this forum.

You can always bring up your own insight regarding the Probot, personally I cannot wait to hear more details about this figure, since I'm still waiting for mine, and anything makes the wait easier.

Back