Sideshow 1/6 Imperial Probe Droid

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the difference is that I am a statue guy, not a figure guy.

I would have preferred SS do away with the gimmicky lights and sound effects and (gasp) articulation. I would pay more than $500 for something like that in 1/4 scale.

Don't care either way about the sound and light, although it's neat... But I'm an articulation junkie. Even though I just "set and forget" I like having options; that's what sells it for me.

I would have preferred SS do away with the gimmicky lights and sound effects and (gasp) articulation. I would pay more than $500 for something like that in 1/4 scale.

Ahhh yes, articulation. The big rift between statue and figure collectors :lol.

As a figure guy, it's all about articulation for me. Options and posibility are what make a figure a figure and what makes them interesting. It's all about nailing a perfect pose and being able to change it up when you get bored of it

Don't care either way about the sound and light, although it's neat... But I'm an articulation junkie. Even though I just "set and forget" I like having options; that's what sells it for me.

Ahhh yes, articulation. The big rift between statue and figure collectors :lol.

As a figure guy, it's all about articulation for me. Options and posibility are what make a figure a figure and what makes them interesting. It's all about nailing a perfect pose and being able to change it up when you get bored of it

Yeah, this is the main reason I passed on the Dewback (LOVED the head sculpt on that) and the Tauntaun - lack of any articulation that renders them statues that then interact with fully articulated figures.

I just want some options for display - even if they went polystone, having a swap-out limb or two (for walking/standing options.) They did include a second head on the Taun, but I guess I was expecting something more along the lines of the SSC Jabba but with a bit more articulation (i.e. a much better sculpted version of the Hasbro 12" Taun.) Something you could fairly easily pick up off the base and play/repose.

I absolutely love that the Probe Droid is fully articulated - because it looks somewhat visually different in its "folded up" and "floating" modes. And lights and sounds I can do without, but it's very cool they did it (and had the different colored light) and they'll get a bit of use from me...

tumblr_lso0tnGBvy1qivnp5o1_500.jpg

Could someone please measure the black support rod to get the diameter (I mean pretty precisely as it has to grip droid body snugly) and also the length? I want to get the rod now - my probe droid will be here in the next day or so.

The metal rod measures 9.6mm in diameter. I checked eBay, all I see is a clear acrylic Perspex rod with a diameter closes is 8mm. This still works with an easy modification. Also gonna replace the base stand with a thick acrylic base.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CLEAR-ACRY...t=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item53ff007b59

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CLEAR-ACRY...t=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item4d20366fd8

The metal rod measures 9.6mm in diameter.

That means it's a nominal 3/8" rod. You'll have better luck using that number if you're looking for any suppliers in the US or dealing to the US. 21 cents per foot from US Plastics for tube (my recommendation) or 47 cents per foot for rod.

That means it's a nominal 3/8" rod. You'll have better luck using that number if you're looking for any suppliers in the US or dealing to the US. 21 cents per foot from US Plastics for tube (my recommendation) or 47 cents per foot for rod.

Will look into it. Also realized, for structural integrity of the support. A clear acrylic tubing is a better choice.

curious to see what you guys land on for the pole. I think must of us will follow your example.

I was a bit tongue and cheek with my "figures vs statues" comment. It would be a boring world if well all liked the same things.

In the end, I just hope I don't break the damn thing with my clumsy hands as I put it together.

Well, just got off work and home....got a chance to unpack the probot and....WOW! Thankfully, nothing broken. Was a bit nervous putiing it together...it is indeed light, delicate and fragile, but once together....what a show piece!

Here's a quick (not great, but enthusiastic) shot before I fade out for the night...

....if you like this cool piece of Empire tech...don't let this one pass you by. All these movable parts, from the piston-equipped limbs to the various "eyes" to the rotating head....so many great options for display here. Love the light, really love the sound (think I've found my new ringtone)....I'm just blown away how cool this one is. It was always one of my favorite pieces of tech from the OT and Sideshow has rendered it perfectly.

Gonna have a blast getting some outdoor shots with this one once the snow hits....

Bravo (and thank you) Sideshow!

Thankfully you aren't in development at Sideshow.

Got my probe droid yesterday and I am very happy with it. It is light but you can tell the money went into other areas of development imo.

I once said the most nerve racking experience as a collector I had was putting the wing caps on my eFX TIE fighter but I think putting the arms into this fellow takes that honor now :lol.

Thankfully you aren't in development at Sideshow.

Well, it is refreshing to see someone arguing for less articulation for a change.:lol

Got my probe droid yesterday and I am very happy with it. It is light but you can tell the money went into other areas of development imo.

I once said the most nerve racking experience as a collector I had was putting the wing caps on my eFX TIE fighter but I think putting the arms into this fellow takes that honor now :lol.

Now you got me freaked out.

Well, it is refreshing to see someone arguing for less articulation for a change.:lol

lol, my mom always said I was special :lol

I just hope SS realizes there is a market for this guy as a large statue. People scoff at the price of attakus' version but it is sold out and you will have to pay more than msrp to get one now. The main issue that statue had was with the decision to have it attached to the base with his legs. This casued a lot of damage during shipping. My hope is SS can do something like the speederbike PF (and this 1/6) to avoid that issue.

Is it just me? I kept seeing a scoop of ice cream at the base :D But I love it.:drool:clap

It's soft-serve, not a scoop! Unless you meant to write a poop of ice-cream, you know, because that's what soft-serve looks like. ;)

So 3/8 rod is confirmed?

It's confirmed that 9.6mm is 3/8" :) but, I'm not sure who did the original measurement. Seeing the decimal place makes me think it was done with calipers, and 3/8" is a nice perfect common fractional size for rod and tube. Soooo… Sounds good so far.

"It doesn't sound friendly, whatever it is...."

I love this thing....looks fantastic and is fun to poke at and play with the limbs....find a pose, stare a bit, repeat.

Doesn't matter what it's made of or how much it weighs or whatever else....it looks cool and it's fun. Works for me!

Gonna have a blast this winter getting some snow shots with this thing!

Last edited:
Back