Sideshow 1/6 Imperial Probe Droid

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's really, really easy. Just be mindful of the thinner, delicate parts. The one part that wasn't easy is the one (C?) with the two tiny round pegs. I eased it into place with continuous and even pressure, using a padded screwdriver in the end to get it seated all the way. That part can definitely break in the process so be careful and don't force it. Everything else is a breeze.

Cool :hi5:. About to go give it a whirl :yess:

They felt the clear rod makes it look cheap. (Or so I've heard).

Hmmm. I guess I can understand that angle but I don't really agree. It just sticks out too much and kills any type of realism. Not that the clear poles are invisible, but they are way more easily ignored

They should have shipped a sapphire rod. Synthetic of course - clear.

Last edited:
Hmmm. I guess I can understand that angle but I don't really agree. It just sticks out too much and kills any type of realism. Not that the clear poles are invisible, but they are way more easily ignored

Exactly, and they didn't think the rubber base looked cheap? :slap

I just have to get my Probie's arms set to my liking but all in all I'm really digging this piece. The detailing and articulation are fantastic, light-up and sound features are very nice and the overall size just makes an awesome display. I even like the base and I actually don't feel it looks cheap. The snow has better shadowing and texture in hand and the detailing on the rock is good; can't really expect much more for what it is. The only thing that still bugs me is the rod; I just can't see any logical reasoning why it wouldn't be clear.

I'm not bothered by the weight and I personally don't think that it feels cheap. Like most of these things, it is a little fragile and you definitely should be careful when posing the arms. Like all similar 1/6 things, you'll be fine if you grip the right parts of the arm when bending, use even pressure, and just be careful and mindful in general.

For the most part I do see where the money went although the price is a bit high, especially when comparing to things like a deluxe R2 for $150. It feels like this could have retailed for $200-$215, but I don't know what other factors set this and R2's price apart. Maybe they just made a hell of a lot more R2's. Or maybe the "surprising" retail prices of things like R2 and HT Peacemaker (when comparing to Red Snapper) is the industry realizing that the have to cap the trend of these price hikes, and in some cases take a step back, before they crash their own market

It's really, really easy. Just be mindful of the thinner, delicate parts. The one part that wasn't easy is the one (C?) with the two tiny round pegs. I eased it into place with continuous and even pressure, using a padded screwdriver in the end to get it seated all the way. That part can definitely break in the process so be careful and don't force it. Everything else is a breeze.

Just like you said, this is the only piece that could be a problem and you have to be extra careful with:

That'll ruin someone's week if they snap those two little pegs inside the holes. Aside from that it's as easy as plug and play

I just have to get my Probie's arms set to my liking but all in all I'm really digging this piece. The detailing and articulation are fantastic, light-up and sound features are very nice and the overall size just makes an awesome display. I even like the base and I actually don't feel it looks cheap. The snow has better shadowing and texture in hand and the detailing on the rock is good; can't really expect much more for what it is. The only thing that still bugs me is the rod; I just can't see any logical reasoning why it wouldn't be clear.

I'm not bothered by the weight and I personally don't think that it feels cheap. Like most of these things, it is a little fragile and you definitely should be careful when posing the arms. Like all similar 1/6 things, you'll be fine if you grip the right parts of the arm when bending, use even pressure, and just be careful and mindful in general.

For the most part I do see where the money went although the price is a bit high, especially when comparing to things like a deluxe R2 for $150. It feels like this could have retailed for $200-$215, but I don't know what other factors set this and R2's price apart. Maybe they just made a hell of a lot more R2's. Or maybe the "surprising" retail prices of things like R2 and HT Peacemaker (when comparing to Red Snapper) is the industry realizing that the have to cap the trend of these price hikes, and in some cases take a step back, before they crash their own market

I hope that's the case!

Great review, BTW.

:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:slap

Oh Sideshow. When will they ever learn?

alfred-nevah.gif

My brother picked the probe droid through a local dealer for $235 this week. Still not as bad if it was purchased direct sideshow with all the custom shipping and duty charges.

I hope that's the case!

Great review, BTW.

:hi5:

I can see how some may not see the big deal but this piece really hits home for me. The Kenner Turret & Probot set was one of my favorite toys as a kid (and to this day I'm still a sucker for any and everything Hoth). I used to love that blow-up/knock down function and lord knows that poor Probie got it's ass kicked like 100 times a day with that thing :lol

After all these years it's awesome to finally have one in this scale, with this level of quality and detail

Great droid - they actually made something good for a change. :lol

The black rod is embarrassing though - no excuse! :cuckoo:

Agreed. Aside from the rod this one's a goodie :rock

They felt the clear rod makes it look cheap. (Or so I've heard).

Actually, I agree with that. Once set up, this thing exudes quality. I get everyone's "issues" with the black support, but a clear( or white) one looks gimmicky.

Maybe one option could've been to offer more than one support rod....black for the more "museum" display approach, or clear for the "floating" look....

Actually, I agree with that. Once set up, this thing exudes quality. I get everyone's "issues" with the black support, but a clear( or white) one looks gimmicky.

Maybe one option could've been to offer more than one support rod....black for the more "museum" display approach, or clear for the "floating" look....

Yeah, more than one rod probably would have been nice, especially at this pricepoint.

If they jumbo-sized those Levitron "hover" displays that would be cool for the probe droid! It only holds up to 13oz (365g) and the disc that supports the object probably would have to be too high up due to the Probot legs.

maxresdefault.jpg

A Probot with clear rod, looks simply fantastic. No way this looks cheap. SSC watch and learn:

PROBOTDETAILSD_zpsc9bf4906.jpg

Do not forget Icons used clear acrylic rods for their X-Wing and TIE Fighter studio scale ($$$$ items), MR for some of their props, QMX for their SG-1 ships etc.

Back