Sideshow 1/6 Imperial Probe Droid

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i think sideshow make a incredible job on this one but we need see this with the same quality pics like sideshow share us the prototype , thank s daz for put great quality pics who make my purchase a great purchase .( i m not receipt my bot for now )

C-3PO was $399 and he was 100% alloy? IMO I think SS could of given us metal arms as long as the main body was still plastic for the $250 they charged us... The arms are pretty small and thin so your not talking that much metal. You know people will be breaking these plastic arms when they try to dissemble it or while moving it to another spot and they accidently brush up against something... It's one of the reasons I don't collect model kits is because they are so fragile..

The material cost of the metal is probably insignificant in comparison, but the tooling is likely where it will affect the bottom line.

EDIT: thought this was the threepio thread, never mind, deleted my comment.

But metal and plastic together probably would be very problematic, and not match paintwise.

Last edited:
Been Wondering if the black rod is the best solution. Kinda of gives it an unnecessary extra leg. Maybe white?... Just a bit of wild thinking.

Anyway am watching closely for collection notice from my retailer.:) Cant wait.

EDIT: thought this was the threepio thread, never mind, deleted my comment.

But metal and plastic together probably would be very problematic, and not match paintwise.

If that's the case then I rather pay $400 for a full alloy probe droid that will last the test of time vs a $250 plastic one that will probably break when I try to dissemble him... IMO

If that's the case then I rather pay $400 for a full alloy probe droid that will last the test of time vs a $250 plastic one that will probably break when I try to dissemble him... IMO

If you have to disassemble it, I would avoid removing the tiny parts as they seem the most fragile. The legs are best removed by taking the body apart and gently easing them out from the interior side by gently pinching the expansion slot-tab-things.

Been Wondering if the black rod is the best solution. Kinda of gives it an unnecessary extra leg. Maybe white?... Just a bit of wild thinking.

How about a clear, matte acrylic rod? Might be less noticeable?

I'll be replacing mine with some clear acrylic tubing from my local hobby shop this weekend.

How about a clear, matte acrylic rod? Might be less noticeable?

If it's matte it won't be quite clear - it'll be hazy. The best color to use depends entirely on what's behind it IMO. Black, white, clear, brown, blue, they can all look fine - the idea is to make them visually disappear against the background. First and foremost you should notice/see the droid.

If it's matte it won't be quite clear - it'll be hazy. The best color to use depends entirely on what's behind it IMO. Black, white, clear, brown, blue, they can all look fine - the idea is to make them visually disappear against the background. First and foremost you should notice/see the droid.

Very true. Ultimately it's about matching the background to make it less visible.

Just a note about pricing - keep in mind that Star Wars is the most expensive license ever. Sideshow has had to make some sacrifices to continue with the license and Lucasfilm gots to collect their cut.

Just a note about pricing - keep in mind that Star Wars is the most expensive license ever. Sideshow has had to make some sacrifices to continue with the license and Lucasfilm gots to collect their cut.

it is also the most profitable license SS carries.

If other companies (ie Hottoys) can offer diecast, I see no reason for why SS could not have done the same here.

Good idea to get professional help to fabricate a clear tubing.

No worries. It's solid acrylic tubing and comes in different diameters. I'll match it up to the diameter of the metal rod. It will be sturdy enough for the lightweight plastic model.

It's solid acrylic tubing and comes in different diameters.

:lecture Just a small point, but if something is "tubing" then it's by definition hollow core and not solid - which would make it "rod." ;) Maybe you meant rigid tubing (which is like pipe) versus non-rigid which is like hose.

Definitely get clear rigid tubing (acrylic is the most common) and not rod - it will have less propensity to sag over time.

It's completely solid not hollow at all so technically it's a clear acrylic rod. :lol

Could someone please measure the black support rod to get the diameter (I mean pretty precisely as it has to grip droid body snugly) and also the length? I want to get the rod now - my probe droid will be here in the next day or so.

Could someone please measure the black support rod to get the diameter (I mean pretty precisely as it has to grip droid body snugly) and also the length? I want to get the rod now - my probe droid will be here in the next day or so.

Let me go measure my rod, I'll be right back.

Wow..freaks has changed so much...members asking other members to measure their rods. :monkey4

Back