Sideshow 1/6 Imperial Probe Droid

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wouldn't that make the items you linked to earlier (ebay) either too thin (8mm) or too thick (10mm)? Have you bought a clear tube replacement and if so which one?

Thanks. I'm completely useless when it comes to this stuff.

I haven't decided yet. 8mm diameter tube needs some modification on the top of the tube where you insert the figure. 10mm diameter tube needs some modification on the figure itself where you insert the support. Grinding 0.4 on the figure is easy. But I'm still asking myself if I want to touch the figure or not.
think think think...

Also gonna check for a local supplier first this weekend before I go the eBay.

My money would be on altering the clear rod (or getting one that fits precisely in the first place) and not the figure. Even if I never intend on selling, I'd prefer not to do anything to alter the figure irreversibly.

Last edited:
Sorry I was asking for the dimension of the base itself not the tube. As I say I won't get mine for awhile yet from uk supplier so looking to have its display ready. Cheers

Just buy a clear one and then you can take this great weight off your overburdened shoulders, Capn! At least it's not difficult to replace, like say the stand included w/Yoda's hover chair.

It's not something that burdens me, I'm not one of those collectors. Just curious that when you want something to look like it's hovering why you wouldn't use a clear tube.

A very cool set of tutorial pictures made by a good friend of mine from RS - LightSword:

PROBOTDETAILS_zpsd0ba6106.jpg

PROBOTDETAILS2_zpsebd82987.jpg

PROBOTDETAILS3_zps3c7f3ee4.jpg

PROBOTDETAILSB_zps3e9873ab.jpg

that is awesome. Thanks to jkno and lightsword.

but I have to say this thing should not be so bloody complicated.

I didn't necessarily care that the rod was black as much as I was unable to use it in my display space. It was just too tall. I didn't want to cut it so I went to my local Home Depot and found two solutions for my situation. First was a 3/8" diameter zinc metal rod that was 36" in length. I had planned to cut it down to 12" length and paint it white since my backgrounds are all white. Then I stumbled upon another option... a large nail. This nail is 12" long and is also 3/8" diameter. I'm only using the snow cover part of the display stand for my display. I painted the nail white, then inserted it thru the bottom of the base with the pointed end pointing up. The point is dull, but I still used a small amount of paper towel for cushion when resting the Probe Droid on top. Very stable! The price for the rod was $6.00. The nail was 70 cents. I'll be returning the rod. CELL PHONE PICS 006.jpgCELL PHONE PICS 010.jpgCELL PHONE PICS 011.jpgCELL PHONE PICS 014.jpg

Makes me think, would Sideshow offer a black and a white rod for future similar releases? :D

I didn't necessarily care that the rod was black as much as I was unable to use it in my display space. It was just too tall. I didn't want to cut it so I went to my local Home Depot and found two solutions for my situation. First was a 3/8" diameter zinc metal rod that was 36" in length. I had planned to cut it down to 12" length and paint it white since my backgrounds are all white. Then I stumbled upon another option... a large nail. This nail is 12" long and is also 3/8" diameter. I'm only using the snow cover part of the display stand for my display. I painted the nail white, then inserted it thru the bottom of the base with the pointed end pointing up. The point is dull, but I still used a small amount of paper towel for cushion when resting the Probe Droid on top. Very stable! The price for the rod was $6.00. The nail was 70 cents. I'll be returning the rod. View attachment 129861View attachment 129862View attachment 129863View attachment 129864

Nice job :clap. The white works well with you background

So how is the assembly process in practice? This tutorial makes certain parts sound scary. Is it straight forward and easy-peasy or is it super delicate and easy to break? Is a hair drier necessary?

I picked this up from my local guy but won't have a chance to assemble until tonight

It's really, really easy. Just be mindful of the thinner, delicate parts. The one part that wasn't easy is the one (C?) with the two tiny round pegs. I eased it into place with continuous and even pressure, using a padded screwdriver in the end to get it seated all the way. That part can definitely break in the process so be careful and don't force it. Everything else is a breeze.

Looking forward to seeing what you guys come up with as the best substitute pole.

I also heard that it was a something the Lucasfilm set in place, but does anyone here know the reasoning behind that?

They felt the clear rod makes it look cheap. (Or so I've heard).

yes it is. that part you mentioned was tricky afraid I was going to break as well. you have to finagle them to fit into those two tiny holes with out huge mounts of pressure to fix them right In.

image.jpg

I thought I was missing a lens on this bit it appears that there is not supposed to be one. I was going to exchange mine for another. I'm keeping it now.

Back